View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 How To Process overly compressed high volume audio files 

Post How To Process overly compressed high volume audio files
Have you ever downloaded audio, video or purchased a CD or video where the audio was over compressed and , the volume normalized to 0 db. The audio sounds better because it is loud and compressed.

These steps I would like to share that will improve the situation. It will not improve audio that is distorted from too high audio settings during recording. But you can try. Works like magic.

Convert the audio file to wav

Open audition and open the wav file

Go to Effects->Amplitude->Normalize, uncheck the Decibels Format box, make sure that the Normalize to and Normalize L/R Equally boxes are checked, and type 48 into the percentage box. Press OK.

After the normalization is complete. Go to Effects->Filters->Scientific Filters and Select the Chebychev 1 tab, press the Band Pass button, and set the following parameters:
Cutoff=4, High Cutoff=22050, Order=18. Leave all other parameters at their default values (zeroes), make sure the Delay radio button is selected, then check the Extended Range box, and press the OK button.

Save as the processed file as the file name followed by compression processed for example.

Do other processing of the audio as required such as eq, noise reduction, etc.

Save the processed file as the file name followed by mixdown for example.

Increase the volume to desired level then save the file as file name mixdown followed by with gain for example.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Post Re: How To Process overly compressed high volume audio files
Thanks for the tip, Rick! I'll have to give this a try next time I have something "brickwalled" like that.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 pm

This is overly complicted. The best way I've found to restore brickwalling it to download a plugin called Relife. It's freeware. Using the editor of your choice (I use Adobe Audition) all you have to do is set the sensitivity of the restoration (one of three buttons) and then set the output attenuation (a slider). These are all the controls there are and it's one step. Works great! I've been using it for a couple of years.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:03 am

HeywoodPeace wrote:
This is overly complicted. The best way I've found to restore brickwalling it to download a plugin called Relife. It's freeware. Using the editor of your choice (I use Adobe Audition) all you have to do is set the sensitivity of the restoration (one of three buttons) and then set the output attenuation (a slider). These are all the controls there are and it's one step. Works great! I've been using it for a couple of years.

Thanks... I'll look into that as well.

Mon May 26, 2014 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]