View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Is there a reliable source for what gear was used? 

Post Is there a reliable source for what gear was used?
This may be one of the most over-asked questions about this or any other band, but it never occurred to me before because I've not been on the musical side of things. I'm thinking of trying my hand at some covers, and it would be nice to know what gear was used on particular songs. Obviously a couple of classic synths and drum machines can be identified by their distinctive sound, and sometimes this information is on Wikipedia, but I thought it likely that some of the "real" musicians here (I certainly don't consider myself one... YET) might know where detailed information can be found. I'm pretty sure I have an issue of Trouser Press where Genesis "Look At Themselves" and I think it goes through a few songs and mentions gear, but has anyone compiled this information somewhere?

I've just bought a Yamaha DX7, and it would be interesting to know specifically what songs Genesis and Phil used it on, although it's not as easy to reproduce their specific sound as it would be with a drum machine. I'd also like to find MIDI transcriptions of songs so that parts I'm not skilled enough to play could be added to my covers (with proper credit of course). I actually want my covers to sound completely different in style to the originals, but it would be a nice tip of the hat to include some of the original sounds.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out. I would like to start with Man On The Corner because it's so spare, but I'm starting from absolute zero. I also don't want to use the wrong sounds for the drumbeat and later find out the actual gear and have to go back and change things.

Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Post Re: Is there a reliable source for what gear was used?
Congratulations on purchasing the Yamaha DX7. Yamaha makes a fine keyboard, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

I am not aware of any specific instances in which this particular keyboard is used on a Genesis song (although there may be a few I'm not recalling). But to your first question, here are some examples of specific gear used by Genesis:

Mellotron
Grand piano
Synthesizer
Gretsch drums
Double-neck guitar
12 string guitar (acoustic)
Acoustic 6 string
Fuzz pedal

Hope I'm not getting too technical here. I would certainly look forward to hearing your covers...good luck!

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Check out this AMAZING document!!! http://cyberreviews.skwc.com/gendis.pdf

Chock full of great information, including a fair bit on equipment in the discourses on the various tours!!

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Dirk Gently wrote:
Check out this AMAZING document!!! http://cyberreviews.skwc.com/gendis.pdf

Chock full of great information, including a fair bit on equipment in the discourses on the various tours!!

Thanks, Dirk. I am definitely familiar with Scott's fantastic discography, but I hadn't read it in a long time... had no idea it went into such great detail! Unfortunately I only saw "DX7" listed twice, and that was in a tour equipment list rather than studio. Even though the equipment isn't broken down by song, it should still be relatively easy to discern what made what sound, especially where drum machines are concerned. Thanks for point that out!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Anytime, mate! I assumed you had seen it but perhaps had not made it to that part of the list. It's quite the brick of information, but indisposable to hardcore Genesis fans! :alien:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 am

This is quite an impressive mass of information...although I could do without the self-pity fest and "why I've grown beyond Genesis" ramblings of the opening. Thanks for posting.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Dirk Gently wrote:
Anytime, mate! I assumed you had seen it but perhaps had not made it to that part of the list. It's quite the brick of information, but indisposable to hardcore Genesis fans! :alien:

Yeah, I was introduced to it back when I was a super-serious collector, but it was a mere text file back then. I remember it having a section with a sort of explanation of The Lamb, but I guess the equipment list were added later, or just grew significantly in the interim. It was pretty lengthy even then, so it possible I never saw certain sections.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:43 am

Yes, I think it did also contain a document explaning the Lamb and other song lyrics. But when I started playing with the song references group at ning I found that quite a few of the author's references weren't properly backed up and were actually wrong, having been based only on assumption and/or incorrectly limiting the analysis to biblical references.

ie, this is from the document's Supper's Ready explanation:
" Pythagoras with the looking glass reflects the full moon" - The moon is mentioned in Revelation 6:12 (...the whole moon turned blood red NIV). (And in 21:23 where it is not necessary.) I can't explain Pythagoras. As a “Greek extra”, he may represent Gentiles, or pagans.
"In blood, he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune" - "In blood" is very important. Christ's blood paid the price of sin for humanity."

But this is what I found to be more likely:

"According to Aristotle and others' accounts, some ancients believed that Pythagoras had the ability to travel through space and time, and to communicate with animals and plants.
One legend, taken from Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, describes his writing on the moon: "Pythagoras asserted he could write on the moon. His plan of operation was to write on a looking-glass in blood, and place it opposite the moon, when the inscription would appear photographed or reflected on the moon's disc.""

sorry, went off topic. I was just highlighting that the document isn't completely watertight in terms of information.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:40 am
Profile WWW

Yes, this Genesis Discography is the relic of a bygone era of the Web, when almost every site was stamped with the unique personality of its creator. There are aspects of those "good old days" that I miss. On the other hand, today's Web has collaborative projects such as Wikipedia that are able to combine the knowledge of many people. There's a lot of good Genesis information on Wikipedia. For example, its pages on John Mayhew and Chris Steward and Mick Barnard have far more information than Scott McMahan's discography did.

And many parts of his discography are obsolete. For example, he repeats the old theory that Mick Barnard wrote the guitar parts in "Musical Box". But now that we have heard "F #" and "Manipulation", we know that Ant wrote the acoustic guitar parts. (But I still wonder about Musical Box's searing lead guitar solo with the rising scales: it sounds totally unlike anything else that Ant or Steve or Mike ever played....)

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:05 am

Agreed, guys. I do feel a bit nostalgic for the "World Wide Web" days, especially given that there used to be FANsites for lots of different things, be it computers, TV shows, etc. but these days it seems those sites have been killed by the corporations behind the former site's subject. Anyway, I also really like Wikipedia, because as you point out, it delivers at least an acceptable amalgam of many people's contributions, and they do try to be as factual as possible. The fansite element is still missed in terms of images, because Wikipedia is so strict about copyright. Obviously this is a good policy, but sometimes photos are necessary to fully document many subjects. There are still things like Flickr, blogs, etc. but the days of "here is a site containing photos of my entire collection" seem to be gone. With space being more and more of a concern as life goes on, I find myself increasingly reliant on PHOTOS of items rather than trying to collect physical examples of the items themselves. There's always Google Image Search, though. ;)

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:20 am

Dvdgenesis, in case you're still looking for additional info on Genesis gear, I wanted to expand on my list from before. The band also used Hammond organ, bass (some double neck with 6-string guitar), bass pedals, electric piano, drum machines (in later years), and some classical guitar. Just let me know if you need any more info.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]