View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 FGTR reissues 

Post FGTR reissues
I've mentioned in other threads that I'm starting to collect these, and I'm finally getting around to comparing them and posting my findings. Here's a list of the ones I have so far:

Where The Sour Turns To Sweet
And The Word Was...
The Compact Collection (original Castle release)
The Compact Collection (Festival reissue)
From Genesis To Revelation (Jonjo Music release)
from genesis to revelation (TransLuxe release)
from genesis to revelation - the original album (Disky)
The Orange Collection

...and, my personal favorite, and now holding a qualified designation as the best version, the EDSEL release.

Why do I say EDSEL is the best? Well, originally I was being a fascist and basing it solely on the look of the packaging (proper typestyle, cover art, EDSEL logo being reminiscent of DECCA logo, etc.) but having listened to all the versions listed above, the EDSEL release has come out on top by a wide margin. There was talk in a previous thread about the "long version" of Image Blown Out, and not only is that 2:49 version present on the EDSEL release, it does not suffer from the significant distortion present on the Disky version. It's a bit hissy at the beginning, and sibilants do still sound a bit "lispy", but it's head and shoulders above the version on the Disky CD.

What is not present on the EDSEL release, or at least not my copy anyway, is the Jonathan King interview tracks, which appear on the TransLuxe version, and perhaps others. However, the sound is quite good, and the placement of the track markers seems natural, neither of which can be said of many of the others.

The worst of the group, at least in the later 2-disc category, has to be The Orange Collection, which is probably no surprise to anyone who has it or has heard about it. My biggest gripe is that A Place To Call My Own is relegated to Disc 2, so you can't even listen to the original album tracks straight through without changing discs. Also, Where The Sour Turns To Sweet 2006 is annoying, and The Silent Sun 2006 is just godawful. If the latter weren't bad enough on its own, there's some sort of mastering glitch where the last note "comes back with a vengeance" at the very end... the song is over and all of a sudden there's this tiny snippet of the end note at about five times normal volume. Yikes! :shock: I can tell the tracks on this CD have been cleaned up, but since they sound cleaned up, it's a bit distracting.

I won't go into too much detail about the others... mostly single-disc affairs with the usual Silent Sun-That's Me-album tracks-A Winter's Tale-One-Eyed Hound running order. Briefly, here are my thoughts on each version:

Where The Sour Turns To Sweet - interesting in that it might be the first CD release of the album... someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

And The Word Was... - my first exposure to the album... cover art definitely looks like something that you'd find in record shops in 1969. Had they gone with this cover and title, it might have been a successful album after all.

The Compact Collection (original Castle release) - was a bit too close to And The Word Was... for me when I first encountered it, but a nice addition to my growing collection now that I've found it again.

The Compact Collection (Festival reissue) - a pale imitation of the original... pretty bad when it's not only a cheap reissue, it's actually a cheap reissue of a cheap reissue. Had I not become somewhat of a completist lately, I'd have bid goodbye to this purple monstrosity long ago.

From Genesis To Revelation (Jonjo Music release) - pretty cool, actually... kind of an unusual version I wasn't familiar with, so a nice addition to the collection.

from genesis to revelation (TransLuxe release) - one I had seen before, and worth buying if for no other reason than the Jonathan King interview tracks.

from genesis to revelation - the original album (Disky) - complete waste of money... not enough bonus tracks to justify buying it, since the EDSEL release renders it 100% obsolete. Horrid cover art as well.

The Orange Collection - the worst of the worst... pedophilic tendencies aside, King should have been locked up on the grounds of releasing this bunch of utter tripe alone. I'm considering seeking professional help since I'm actually considering the purchase of this same bag of crap in the form of The White Collection, The Platinum Collection, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

from genesis to revelation (EDSEL) - the best of the best... I have a section in my CD box for "FGTR Reissues" and a general "GENESIS" section. This release represents FGTR in the general section with all the other albums, whereas every other version gets relegated to the "FGTR Reissues" section. As far as I'm concerned, this is THE definitive CD release of the band's first album.

Well, thanks for sticking with me through all that... I would definitely love to know which other versions you all have, and what your thoughts are on those and the ones I've listed. I'll try to update the thread as I accumulate more of these... I plan to get Genesis In Wonderland and the other tins as well, plus whichever other versions I can find. At the moment, I'm desperately seeking the Green Line release, the DCC Compact Classics version, and Gigantes Del Pop Vol. 24 on CD, since I already have it on cassette. I would also love to know if In The Beginning or Rock Roots ever made it to CD... I know that the "other" Genesis released an album titled In The Beginning, and I'm tempted to pick up a copy. The one track I have heard, Mary, Mary is actually quite good.

Okay, off to bed with me... hope to see some replies tomorrow! :)

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 am

Post Re: FGTR reissues
It does seem a shame that they invited King to the Milton Keynes reunion in 1982, but didn't invite Ant or Steve. On the other hand, knowing Jonathan King, perhaps he invited himself.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:59 am

LOL... quite possible... quite possible indeed. ;)

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:43 am

Minor update: I just got the Music Collection International version, and I should have the Varese Sarabande and DCC Compact Classics releases soon. The MCI one I got was the 1995 Special Edition reissue in the box with postcards... unfortunately it smells of cigarette smoke, but it doesn't seem to be very common and it was really cheap. I might replace it later with the standard version of that release, but it'll do for now. I thought it was pretty funny that it also came with a "replica album cover" of the original, which is basically just a piece of cardstock with a sort of velour-like texture and the album title sloppily printed on the front. If there's someone out there who doesn't mind cigarette smell and would appreciate this "deluxe" release more than I do, let me know.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Doubt anyone cares, but I now have the DCC Compact Classics release (a bit more worn than I would have liked, but it fills the void) as well as the Varese Sarabande reissue (very nice).

I've owned the DCC version before, but the V.S. version is new to me... very nice packaging, disc label art, and sound quality.

Now my highest priority is finding the Green Line release (simply titled Genesis), and perhaps finding Gigantes del Pop Vol. 24 on CD if possible.

Looks like my CD buying frenzy is over for now, but I do still plan to keep the collection growing... I'll keep posting developments here and in my other threads for anyone who might find it interesting.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm

dvdgenesis wrote:
Now my highest priority is finding the Green Line release (simply titled Genesis), and perhaps finding Gigantes del Pop Vol. 24 on CD if possible.

This makes me wonder: How many (official) Genesis LPs, cassettes, and CDs have been released under non-English titles?

German fans in German record stores buy The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, not Das Lamm legt sich auf den Broadway. French fans don't buy Vendant l'Angleterre par le livre. Even compilation titles seem to be untranslated: on amazon.de I see "Platinum Collection", for example.

Is FGTR the only Genesis album that has ever been released under a non-English title?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:07 am

babylon5 wrote:
Is FGTR the only Genesis album that has ever been released under a non-English title?

Excellent question, but unfortunately I think the answer is: "None of them have... not even FGTR."

The reason I say this is that Gigantes del Pop simply means "Giants of Pop", and is a series of albums released in Spain. Many other artists were featured, and while in this case it's simply the band's first album, I'm not sure what was released on other volumes representing other artists. Vol. 24 just happens to represent Genesis, and I assume since it was so cheap to license and readily available, FGTR was selected for that release.

I'm probably just explaining the obvious, but since you asked it seemed worth pointing out that the album wasn't actually released under a non-English title. There was also a Genesis release in the series Historia de la musica Rock (History of Rock Music), but that wouldn't be considered an album title. Peter Gabriel has of course released ein deutsches album and deutsches album, but those aren't really album titles either. The cover shows "peter gabriel - ein deutches album" and "peter gabriel - deutsches album" and since peter gabriel is considered the title of his first three albums (or four in the UK), those two German releases were simply released as peter gabriel - a german album and peter gabriel - german album, meaning that they were just German-language editions of peter gabriel (1980) and peter gabriel (1982) (aka Security).

I have definitely seen import editions of at least a couple of Genesis albums where the title and/or song titles are translated into the native language of that country, but I'm pretty sure that all of them have been "unofficial" releases. Aside from Deep In The Motherlode being released as Go West Young Man (and that was only on singles in the U.S. and Japan), I'm not aware of any time an actual song or album title has been changed for release in any particular country. I would definitely be interested in hearing about any instance in which that happened though, at least as it pertains to Genesis or related artists.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Apparently, several singles had their titles translated in Spanish for the South American market (perhaps albums too ?).

Invisible touch: Toque Invisible
Turn It On Again: Enciendanlo l'otra Vez
Illegal alien: Estranjero illegal

I don't speak spanish but these look like litteral translations. You can find copies on e-bay from time to time.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 pm

froggy wrote:
Apparently, several singles had their titles translated in Spanish for the South American market (perhaps albums too ?).

Invisible touch: Toque Invisible
Turn It On Again: Enciendanlo l'otra Vez
Illegal alien: Estranjero illegal

I don't speak spanish but these look like litteral translations. You can find copies on e-bay from time to time.

Yes, but unofficial releases, to the best of my knowledge. I have seen Toque Invisible... definitely a bootleg.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm not sure they're all bootlegs.

I own the argentinian Turn It On Again / Heathaze: it looks legit to me, Charisma mad hatter label and all...

At least it is listed as such in all serious discographies I've seen.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Geoff Parkyn's discography book called "Turn it on again" lists the Spanish single "Tomate el Amor sin Prisas", together with the catalogue number WEA Records 25-9980-7 and picture sleeve.

(Any Spanish speakers like to give us the translation? :D :D )

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Tulyar wrote:
Geoff Parkyn's discography book called "Turn it on again" lists the Spanish single "Tomate el Amor sin Prisas", together with the catalogue number WEA Records 25-9980-7 and picture sleeve.

(Any Spanish speakers like to give us the translation? :D :D )

:lol: Google Translate says "Tomato Love Unhurried"... um, yeah. Makes me think that one's unofficial, too, even though it got into a book and has a catalog number. I think if we looked up that catalog number, it may have come from another single, possibly not even a Genesis release. I've seen bootleg DVDs that have barcodes, but when you look up the UPC it's some completely different movie... I've also seen two or more different movies show the exact same barcode, which is another sure sign it's a bootleg.

The "tomato" single may well be official, but I doubt it... not trying to crap on the thread here, but I just don't think a song or album title would be changed for a different market. It would probably create an issue with publishing rights, for one thing.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:02 pm

froggy wrote:
I'm not sure they're all bootlegs.

I own the argentinian Turn It On Again / Heathaze: it looks legit to me, Charisma mad hatter label and all...

At least it is listed as such in all serious discographies I've seen.

Sorry, froggy, but especially where Genesis is concerned... Argentinian = bootleg. No offense intended to the people of Argentina, but I wouldn't be surprised if I went there and all the buildings were just plywood flats*... nothing I've ever seen that's produced in that country has been legitimate, media-wise anyway.

*("flats" being a Hollywood term for a flat piece of plywood painted to look like a building from the front, but there's nothing behind it in terms of an actual structure. Wasn't using that word in the English sense meaning "apartments".)

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 pm

Surely enough...

http://www.google.com/search?q=wea+25-9980-7

That catalog number is from You Can't Hurry Love by Phil Collins. Case closed, it would appear.

WHOOPS! Bang goes my comprehension... just realized that Turn It On Again was the title of the discography, not that the title was printed on a single of that Genesis song. So... it's definitely possible that You Can't Hurry Love was marketed under that title in some Spanish-speaking territory, but long-time collectors of ANY band will tell you that Spanish-language pressings are very often bootlegs. This one may not be... I'm just sayin', the precedent has been set... REPEATEDLY.

To clarify... the picture sleeve I found shows "you can't hurry love" right under the "tomato" title, so it seems the Spanish text was just a translation for natives of that country, not necessarily the altered title of the song (again, publishing rights). I did find an image of an actual record label with an alternate Spanish title ("no puedes apurar al amor") which is more literal, but I notice that it was pressed in <shock, horror> Argentina, and still has "(you can't hurri love)"[sic] directly below the Spanish text.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 pm

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=279207

The question is, dvdgenesis, how are you defining 'bootleg'? I assume you are joking in the way you write off everything Argentinian... :D
In my opinion, WEA had publishing rights to You Can't Hurry Love, and in some Spanish speaking countries they put a Spanish translation of the title on the sleeve and label. Of course, I don't know this for sure, but it seems reasonably likely.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next