View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 what is the deal with this Tommygun video guy anone know? 

Post what is the deal with this Tommygun video guy anone know?
I got this email from Tommygun video today

Hey All,

As Spring and Summer approaches enjoy these 2 new Genesis rare recordings in audio CD format to enjoy in your car while driving around in the nice weather.

If it weren't for these rare, underground recordings a lot of music history would be lost forever. I can't imagine never being able to hear a live Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, or Queen recording from the 70s because they sure don't exist in any stores today. Whoever thought that 40 years later these recordings would be all that we have left from these bands during their prime.

And more Tommygun Video releases will be on the way very shortly!

Genesis

Live at the Syria Mosque 1976 2CD set

$25.00 plus postage

- Considered by many to be the finest audio recording of the Trick Of The Tail Tour
- Includes rare performance of Dance On A Volcano with original studio ending
- Only tour to feature Bill Bruford on percussions/drum
- Unique medley of It/Watcher Of The Skies
- A live performance of White Mountain
- Unusual set list and song order makes this a must have for any collector of rare music
- Outstanding soundboard audio

Audio sample of Dance On A Volcano - http://www.tommygunvideo.com/shows.html
Please scroll down to the Syria Mosque CD playlist and click on speaker icon left of song title

Genesis

Live at the Lyceum Ballroom in London 1980 2CD set

$25.00 plus postage

- Considered to be the best recording of the Duke Tour
- The CD digital audio version of the Lyceum concert on disc 2 of Six Hours Live 2DVD set
- Includes entire concert with remastered audio
- Complete version of Ripples
- Some of the last live performances of many 70s Genesis favorites like One For The Vine & Squonk

Audio sample of The Lady Lies - http://www.tommygunvideo.com/shows.html
Please scroll down to the Lyceum CD playlist and click on speaker icon left of song title

Complete Playlists and audio clips can be found at http://www.tommygunvideo.com just click on the CD button

Other recent releases

The Musical Box

The Genesis Of A Tribute Band DVD

$25.00

---------
Pink Floyd

Live in Oakland, 1977 3-disc 2CD/DVD set

$35.00

more details available at:

http://www.tommygunvideo.com/

DVDs
- Jethro Tull, The Minstrel Looks Back 1969-1977 2-DVD set $35.00
- The Musical Box, The Genesis Of A Tribute Band DVD $25.00
- Genesis - Six Hours Live, 1972-1980 2DVD set $35.00
- Yes - A Celebration, 1969-1979 2DVD set $30.00
- An Evening With Queen, 1974-1976 2DVD set $30.00
- Queen Live at Earl's Court 1977 DVD $25.00

All DVDs available in NTSC/PAL formats (all regions)

CDs & CD/DVD sets
- Pink Floyd, Live in Oakland 1977 3-disc 2CD/DVD set $35.00
- Genesis, Live in Montreal 1974 2CD set $25.00
- Genesis, Live in Zurich, 1977 2CD set $25.00
- Genesis, The Lamb Live at The Shrine in LA, 1975 3-disc 2CD/DVD box set $35.00

All The Best,
Tommygun Video
"Bringing Classic Rock of the 70s BACK to the Fan"

Thu May 19, 2011 12:06 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: what is the deal with this Tommygun video guy anone know
From what I've seen, Tommygun's material is entirely available from other sources. Most of it can be found on torrent sites such as Genesis-Movement and Dime.

I suppose that there must be some fans who find computers really confusing, and who therefore don't want to learn how to use a torrent client or to use DVD burning software. For these folks, maybe it's easier just to pay Tommygun to burn disks for them.

I bought from him a long time ago, before I found this site. The material was good, but in order to fit a lot of material on fewer disks, he burns his DVDs at a higher bitrate, decreasing the quality. And as I later found out, all the Genesis material I bought from him was available here on EFDVDG07, GMDVD11, and such things.

In the email you posted above, he doesn't give the lineage of his Pittsburgh Syria Mosque 1976 show. There's no way he has a cleaner copy than SAB04, which we have here. (My only gripe about SAB04 is that it truncates Phil's introduction of Steve; when I burned it, I spliced the full version in from another copy.)

And the 1980 London Lyceum show is available here in pristine quality as well. The gold standard for that show used to be As Good As Gold, but I'm sure that Tom's brand new release is even better (although I haven't downloaded it myself yet). Since Tommygun seems to have no sources other than what he gets in trade and on the internet, his Lyceum CDs are either copies of these, or they are worse.

I'm not one of those people who condemns those who pay money for bootlegs. I bought bootlegs on vinyl (!!) back when I was in college years ago, and I bought CDs from Highland back in their heyday. Before the internet that was the only way for people without connection to get their hands on these recordings. But today it makes no sense to pay money (illegally) for something that's free (legally) in superior quality.

Thu May 19, 2011 2:50 am

Tom ain't gonna be happy about that Lyceum release...

...Neither am I. Actually, Mr. Gun is in violation of copyright by using my Duke image....

Thu May 19, 2011 10:55 am
Profile WWW

Actually, babylon5, I think you mean lower bitrate. I still can't believe this guy is thriving, although I guess we don't really know if he is or not. He's putting a lot of stuff out there that is obviously available for free, so I can't really see how he's making any money.

...and DR, you do fantastic work... you say he used art of yours without permission? I think I saw something on eBay that looked like it must have been yours but I didn't recall seeing it here before (though I haven't visited in quite a while). It was on a CD cover though, not a DVD, so I guess more than one creep is ripping you off. Sad all around, really.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:56 am

Post JUSTICE:: Re: what is the deal with this Tommygun video guy
There is payback out there---this is a real YouTube User---His alter ego: user "TommyPopgun" (From his "SIX DOLLAR$ LIVE" series) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP0hRFWzBys

Video Description: Uploaded by TommyPopgun on Feb 5, 2011

Genesis live at The Bataclan (theatre), Paris, France - 10 January 1973

THIS IS THE FREELY AVAILABLE VIDEO $_SOLD_$ BY A WELL-KNOWN YT USER "Tommygun1028". ALL HIS SOLD GENESIS VIDEOS CONTAIN THE WORDS: "SIX HOURS LIVE". PLEASE PROTEST THE SELLING OF FREE BOOTLEGS. HOW? #1 DON'T BUY BOOTLEGS FROM ANYONE. I RECOMMEND USING A COMMENT, ALTHOUGH I HAVE ALSO SEEN CASES LIKE THIS WHERE VIEWERS USE THE "FLAG AS SPAM" OPTION, WHICH IS MORE SERIOUS. I'M JUST SAYING I'VE SEEN IT DONE. LET "Tommygun1028" KNOW THAT YOU WILL NOT SUPPORT THE SALE OF FREE BOOTLEG MUSIC. ONE OF THE BASIC TENETS OF BOOTLEG AUDIO/VIDEO SHARING IS "NEVER CHARGE MONEY, DISTRIBUTE FREELY"

INSTEAD, DOWNLOAD MINE HERE FOR FREE USING ANY OF THESE [or other] DOWNLOADER ADD-ONS (save as flv or mp4 files with the full resolution):

"1-Click YouTube Video Downloader"
"Easy YouTube Video Downloader
"BitComet Video Downloader"

"HD" HIGH QUALITY - HIGHEST RESOLUTION (480x360) VERSION ON YOUTUBE. Tommygun1028's VERSION IS ONLY 320x240.

sorry for shouting

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:53 am
Profile WWW

LOL... excellent! :) Payback, indeed! Of course the boxed sets have really put a damper on sales of the most common boots like Bataclan, although in some cases the quality might not be up to what's already out there. I did see a very cool 1978 interview with Phil come up in the Related Videos sidebar, so it looks I really need to start downloading torrents again or download directly from YouTube.

I think YouTube videos are rather compressed though, so even though the resolution may be relatively high, I'm not sure the video quality is what it should be. Good enough for an iPod, surely... and quite likely better than what TommyGun is offering, especially if he's cramming six hours onto one disc.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 pm

I only recall one of the boxed set videos being of lower quality than the ones on our torrent site. If I recall correctly, it was either the Genesis 1976 theatrical movie or the 1980 Lyceum show? The Peter-era videos were of better quality on the box set.

Of course, the Genesis fans who cleaned these up (e.g., the guy who color balanced the Shepperton movie that we have on the torrent site) still deserve massive kudos for all their work!

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 pm

babylon5 wrote:
I only recall one of the boxed set videos being of lower quality than the ones on our torrent site. If I recall correctly, it was either the Genesis 1976 theatrical movie or the 1980 Lyceum show? The Peter-era videos were of better quality on the box set.

Of course, the Genesis fans who cleaned these up (e.g., the guy who color balanced the Shepperton movie that we have on the torrent site) still deserve massive kudos for all their work!

Yes, definitely. I don't know which version of the green box you have (PAL or NTSC), but the EFDVD versions of stuff like Pop Shop, etc. seem to be slightly better quality than what's on the bonus disc, if only because they've not been converted to NTSC. On the red one of course, the issue is more about quantity than quality, because it's only bits and pieces.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]