View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Do I have everything? 

Post Do I have everything?
Sorry, I couldn't resist starting a new thread for this. For the past couple of years, I've really stepped up my Genesis collecting with the goal of having every song that the band has officially released. My biggest gaps are Peter Gabriel and the other ex-members, but I'm pretty sure that I have very nearly all of Phil's and the band's officially-released output. Obviously I could just compare what I have to the discography, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Now's your chance to play Stump The Panel and let me know if there are any Phil solo or Genesis songs I don't have. I'm not really counting his session work with other artists, and I'll say up front that I am missing a couple tracks like Somewhere, Do Nothing 'Til You Hear From Me, and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End. I'm mostly curious about songs that have been on his various albums and singles, so if you think I've missed something, please let me know. I have sort of a mental "want list", but it would be good to see in print what I still need to find, and in some cases might not have even known about.

Obviously, Brand X and Flaming Youth don't count, just Phil's solo stuff and Genesis for now. I'm considering different versions of the same song irrelevant (aside from officially-released 12" remixes and demos), as well as live vs. studio. That of course leaves out bootlegs and outtakes, aside from things like the work-in-progress version of Mama that did see an official release.

Okay, fire away! :)

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Post Re: Do I have everything?
OK, I'll give it a go...

I'm not a Phil collector, but I'm also trying to have all of the band's officially released output, including different edits of the same song and live versions.

But if you're only talking about studio versions, my list of Genesis officially released songs that are not on albums would be the following:

- all the songs on Archive 1, disc 4 (too many to list here, I guess the 3 BBC recordings can count as studio as well)
- Image Blown Out (earlier and very different demo than the one released on Archive 1. It can be found on the Edsel version of FGTR)
- That's Me
- A Winter's tale
- One-Eyed Hound
- The 4 Jackson tape songs
- Happy The Man
- Watcher of the Skies single version (an entirely different recording from the album version, so I would count it)
- Twilight Alehouse
- It's Yourself
- Match Of The Day
- Pigeons
- Inside & Out
- The Day The Light Went Out
- Vancouver
- Evidence Of Autumn
- Open Door
- Naminanu
- Submarine
- Paperlate
- You Might Recall
- Me & Virgil
- Mama (long version)
- Mama (work in progress)
- It's Gonna Get Better (long version)
- Do the Neurotic
- Feeding The Fire
- I'd Rather Be You
- Invisible Touch (12" remix)
- Land Of Confusion (12" remix)
- Tonight Tonight Tonight (12" remix)
- On the Shoreline
- Hearts On Fire
- I can't Dance (Sex mix)
- I can't Dance (The Other mix)
- Papa He Said
- Banjo Man
- Phret
- 7/8
- Anything Now
- Sign Your Life Away
- Run Out Of Time
- Nowhere Else To Turn (technically an outtake rather than an official release, but a must have for a fan IMO)
- Carpet Crawlers 99

If different mixes of the same song are relevant to you, I would add the following:
- Happy the Man, Italian 7" mix (different from the UK 7" mix, unavailable on CD)
- Twilight Alehouse (original 7" mix unavailable on CD)
- It's Yourself (original 7" release with full ending unavailable on CD)
- Follow You Follow Me, US 7" mix (very different mix, unavalilable on CD)
- Submarine (original 7" mix with original ending, unavailable on CD)
- Jesus He Know Me single mix (slightly different mix from the album version)

That's it I guess!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:27 pm

froggy wrote:
OK, I'll give it a go...

Wow, what a start! :) Thanks... I'll go through your list and note the ones I might be missing.

- all the songs on Archive 1, disc 4 (too many to list here, I guess the 3 BBC recordings can count as studio as well) got Archive 1, so I'm good here

- Image Blown Out (earlier and very different demo than the one released on Archive 1. It can be found on the Edsel version of FGTR) yep, got the EDSEL reissue

- That's Me
- A Winter's tale
- One-Eyed Hound yep, got these LOTS of times ;)

- The 4 Jackson tape songs have these from the boxed set, not sure how much they have been altered from the actual tape

- Happy The Man LOVE this song... have it on 14 From Our Past, among others

- Watcher of the Skies single version (an entirely different recording from the album version, so I would count it)
- Twilight Alehouse
- It's Yourself
- Match Of The Day
- Pigeons
- Inside & Out

I have the above on Archive 1, and I also have the 3" CD of Spot The Pigeon, so "Match of the Day" is covered.

- The Day The Light Went Out
- Vancouver
- Evidence Of Autumn
- Open Door
- Naminanu
- Submarine
- Paperlate
- You Might Recall
- Me & Virgil
- Mama (long version)
- Mama (work in progress)
- It's Gonna Get Better (long version)
- Do the Neurotic
- Feeding The Fire
- I'd Rather Be You
- Invisible Touch (12" remix)
- Land Of Confusion (12" remix)
- Tonight Tonight Tonight (12" remix)
- On the Shoreline
- Hearts On Fire
- I can't Dance (Sex mix)
- I can't Dance (The Other mix)

Between Archive 2, the 3" CD single of "Mama" and the "Jesus He Knows Me" CD5, I have the above. Oh, and I have "Me And Virgil" from a W. German TSL CD.

- Papa He Said
- Banjo Man
- Phret
- 7/8
- Anything Now
- Sign Your Life Away
- Run Out Of Time
- Nowhere Else To Turn (technically an outtake rather than an official release, but a must have for a fan IMO)

Ah yes, here's where my first gap appears... of the above, I only have the following:

Papa He Said
Banjo Man
Anything Now
Sign Your Life Away

...I don't think I have "Run Out Of Time", but if maybe I do if it's on the CAS bonus DVD. I really need to get the "Shipwrecked" CD5 to close that gap.

- Carpet Crawlers 99

Yep, got the above on a couple different compilations.

If different mixes of the same song are relevant to you, I would add the following:
- Happy the Man, Italian 7" mix (different from the UK 7" mix, unavailable on CD)
- Twilight Alehouse (original 7" mix unavailable on CD)
- It's Yourself (original 7" release with full ending unavailable on CD)
- Follow You Follow Me, US 7" mix (very different mix, unavalilable on CD)
- Submarine (original 7" mix with original ending, unavailable on CD)
- Jesus He Know Me single mix (slightly different mix from the album version)

Working on getting the "Jesus..." single mix, and I might have some of the others on CD-R, but my vinyl collection is rather paltry so I doubt I have those on any official release.

Thanks for the list... looking forward to seeing if someone might do a "Phil" one.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Quote:
Working on getting the "Jesus..." single mix

FYI it's also on the TIOA-The Hits compilation so you might already have it! (the original edition of the comp with the white cover obviously, because the Tour Edition with the grey cover is all new mixes).

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 pm

froggy wrote:
Quote:
Working on getting the "Jesus..." single mix

FYI it's also on the TIOA-The Hits compilation so you might already have it! (the original edition of the comp with the white cover obviously, because the Tour Edition with the grey cover is all new mixes).

Thanks... I do have that. I had my eye on a promo CD5 on eBay, but it makes sense that the single mix would be on TIOA - The Hits, and I was also going to check my "Jesus/HOF/ICD (The Other Mix)" import single.

Since you mention the "new mixes", that's another hair that could be split if we wanted to. While what's on the boxed set editions of the albums is the "final" remix, the remixes on compilations like The Platinum Collection, TIOA - The Hits: Tour Edition, 14 From Our Past and possibly others are preliminary "rushed" mixes that were apparently tweaked as production on the boxed sets continued. I don't even consider the non-5.1 versions of these mixes to be worth owning at all, but for the absolute completist, an early mix vs. final would probably make a difference.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm sure you have it already, but it's worth noting that "Silver Song" was officially released in 2008. I have no idea how you would categorize it -- a Genesis song with Ant on guitar (long after he left the band) and Phil on lead vocals (long before he became lead vocalist)? Phil's first solo release? "The Phillips, Rutherford, and Collins Trio"? Or perhaps most plausibly, "The Ant Phillips and Michael Rutherford Duo, Featuring Phil Collins"?

Also, I am pretty sure that all the Ray-era bonus tracks are still available on the torrent site.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:12 pm

babylon5 wrote:
I'm sure you have it already, but it's worth noting that "Silver Song" was officially released in 2008. I have no idea how you would categorize it -- a Genesis song with Ant on guitar (long after he left the band) and Phil on lead vocals (long before he became lead vocalist)? Phil's first solo release? "The Phillips, Rutherford, and Collins Trio"? Or perhaps most plausibly, "The Ant Phillips and Michael Rutherford Duo, Featuring Phil Collins"?

Also, I am pretty sure that all the Ray-era bonus tracks are still available on the torrent site.

LOL... yeah, all those possibilities exist. I just categorize it as an "Ant" song, but I've got gaps in his catalogue that you could drive a Mack truck through so I won't issue the same challenge on his stuff. ;) I do have "Silver Song" on Anthology though, so I'm covered. Also have it on a CD-R boot somewhere, too.

I may have "Run Out of Time" and "Nowhere Else To Turn" on CD-R somewhere, along with the others, but I definitely want to pick up the "Shipwrecked" CD5 to have 7/8, Phret, etc. I just worry about the dye layer on recordable discs vaporizing, oxidizing, etc. so I endeavor to get everything on a pressed disc whenever possible.* Even though CAS (and that era as a whole) isn't my favorite, "Anything Now" is one of my favorite songs, Genesis or non-Genesis. It's better than most of the album, and a lot of Ray's solo stuff that I've heard is pretty awesome as well. I think he actually sounds better when he's not trying to be the lead singer of a long-established band.

*Since nobody has posted a "Phil" list, I'll go ahead and brag that I have "I Like The Way" on an officially-released single... sounds SO much better than the vinyl-sourced cut on the B-Sides & Rarities boot! :D

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:28 pm

dvdgenesis wrote:
I may have "Run Out of Time" and "Nowhere Else To Turn" on CD-R somewhere, along with the others, but I definitely want to pick up the "Shipwrecked" CD5 to have 7/8, Phret, etc. I just worry about the dye layer on recordable discs vaporizing, oxidizing, etc. so I endeavor to get everything on a pressed disc whenever possible.* Even though CAS (and that era as a whole) isn't my favorite, "Anything Now" is one of my favorite songs, Genesis or non-Genesis. It's better than most of the album, and a lot of Ray's solo stuff that I've heard is pretty awesome as well. I think he actually sounds better when he's not trying to be the lead singer of a long-established band.

Yeah, those B-sides on the Not About Us single were some of the best cuts from the Ray era. I always had the thought that these songs were originally held back for the second album (it's a slightly more "pop" sound than the first album), but where then released when they dropped the Ray project - however, I never found any evidence to support this. It just seems odd to throw three stellar tracks out as B-sides on one single.

dvdgenesis wrote:
*Since nobody has posted a "Phil" list, I'll go ahead and brag that I have "I Like The Way" on an officially-released single... sounds SO much better than the vinyl-sourced cut on the B-Sides & Rarities boot! :D

Is that a CD single? And if so, can you tell me which single that is? I'm not sure if I have any other versions of this track (as well as Man With The Horn) than from the vinyl rips, and those are definitely inferior in terms of sound quality (I always ranked I Like The Way the worst officially released Phil Collins song ever).

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 am

kaspergm wrote:
Yeah, those B-sides on the Not About Us single were some of the best cuts from the Ray era. I always had the thought that these songs were originally held back for the second album (it's a slightly more "pop" sound than the first album), but were then released when they dropped the Ray project - however, I never found any evidence to support this. It just seems odd to throw three stellar tracks out as B-sides on one single.

Interesting idea - I had never thought of that. But yes, it does make sense. I wonder whether anything Ray ever released later - solo or Stiltskin - had its origins in the CAS writing sessions.

By the way - Carpet Crawlers 99. Have you noticed the video of this song on the Video Show DVD has a verse missing? I don't know whether it was released in this shorter form on CD at all.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm

There was a Carpet Crawlers 99 (promo?) single. I'm not sure if I have it. It might have that edited version? Someone can probably tell.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 pm

<grumble> Yeah, the "lost verse" in Carpet Crawlers '99 just happens to be the one Phil sings on, and for some reason it was left out of the video in the UK. It was actually in the video, but got chopped out... apparently because Phil has somewhat of a poor reputation in the UK, and a lot of punters want to forget he was ever part of Genesis. When The Video Show was produced, the edited version of the video was forced on everyone, which sucks big time. I doubt the "Peter Gabriel Was The Only Singer Ever In Genesis And Phil Collins Has Nothing To Do With Them" version was ever released on CD. I don't have the CD5 or any promo singles of it, but I'd almost be willing to bet that this bit of revisionist history only exists in the video.

Those CAS b-sides do seem to stand out... maybe they were left off because they may not have fit the darker tone of the rest of the album? No idea, but it's great that they were released in some form.

Funny about "I Like The Way"... I had the U.S. 45 of "Sussudio" and played it endlessly, so for variety I'd switch to the b-side on occasion and got quite fond of that song. Both were about longing for a girl who doesn't know you exist, and if there's a quick way to sum up my life at that point, that's pretty much it. I also liked "The Man With The Horn", and aside from the fact that "I Like The Way" has more of a personal meaning to me, I actually like "Horn" better... at least musically. Nice to have it resurrected as "Life Is A Rat Race" on Miami Vice, but sad that no digital recordings have been released of either version (unless you count the audio on the Miami Vice DVD of course, but that's a bit of a stretch).

The single I have is a Japanese CD5 of "One More Night". For some reason the b-sides were swapped on either side of the Atlantic (the ocean, not the record label :wink: ). Actually I guess it was the A-sides that got swapped, because I think "One More Night" was released here first and Sussudio was released first in the UK, or vice-versa. Anyway, it was released in 1998 as a series called "The Phil Collins Single Collection" and the catalog number is WPCR-2064. Out of all the singles from that series that I've seen (and I'm not sure if I've seen them all or not), that seemed to be the only one that offered anything that wasn't available elsewhere. I think there may have been one for "Sussudio", but I think it just had the 12" mix as the b-side. I could be wrong about that... there may not have even been one, but I do recall that often there would be a single with a rare b-side and they'd have included some other track instead. Needless to say, I feel lucky to have got "I Like The Way" on an official CD. The only odd thing I noticed is that wherever it was originally Phil's handwriting on the cover, they used a font instead (I think it was Mistral, at least on the front cover).

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:00 pm

dvdgenesis wrote:
<grumble> Yeah, the "lost verse" in Carpet Crawlers '99 just happens to be the one Phil sings on, and for some reason it was left out of the video in the UK. It was actually in the video, but got chopped out... apparently because Phil has somewhat of a poor reputation in the UK, and a lot of punters want to forget he was ever part of Genesis.

This sounds a bizarre theory, seeing as Phil is the singer on 28 out of the 32 songs on the DVD.
"Let's cut out Phil's verse in CC99 and hope no-one noticed him over the previous couple of hours!" :|

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 pm

DVDGenesis, you asked about "all of Phil's and the band's officially-released output". Does that include the use of their songs in commercials?

Today I was flipping stations and discovered that Rush Limbaugh is using an instrumental bit from "Easy Lover" as his theme music. He used to use the bass riff from the Pretenders' "My City Was Gone". Is this an official release? :no:

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 pm

I think Phil Collins' single "Groovy Kind of Love" is worth owning, because it features the soundtrack song "Big Noise", but in an instrumental version, which I really love.

And, no, I think Rush was probably just using "Easy Lover" for bumper music when returning from a commercial. His theme of choice (with Chrissie Hynde's blessing, since all of the money from him using it goes to PETA) remains The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone".

Link

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Tulyar wrote:
dvdgenesis wrote:
<grumble> Yeah, the "lost verse" in Carpet Crawlers '99 just happens to be the one Phil sings on, and for some reason it was left out of the video in the UK. It was actually in the video, but got chopped out... apparently because Phil has somewhat of a poor reputation in the UK, and a lot of punters want to forget he was ever part of Genesis.

This sounds a bizarre theory, seeing as Phil is the singer on 28 out of the 32 songs on the DVD.
"Let's cut out Phil's verse in CC99 and hope no-one noticed him over the previous couple of hours!" :|

No, this isn't about the DVD... he was cut out of the CC99 video when it was released originally. Yes, it sticks out when it's put together with all the Phil-era videos, but when it was originally released it wasn't normally played with other Genesis videos.

If you've got another theory you want to submit, I'd love to hear it. In '99, Phil was getting slagged off left and right (largely because of his work with Disney), and hasn't had the kind of longevity in the UK he has enjoyed elsewhere. The general public over there kind of look at him as a Michael Bolton type.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next