View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Hackett/Squire Project 

Post Hackett/Squire Project
Hi folks, thought I should update you all on this. I was at Steve's gig in Glasgow last night and got to meet him afterwards. I asked him about the material he'd worked on with Chris Squire and he told me that although it's completed and that Steve's record company are happy to release it, Chris seems to think they can hold out for a big money deal from one of the bigger labels. Sadly, but predictably, this isn't likely and for that reason, Steve now thinks the album may never be released.

Sorry to the bearer of bad news, but more importantly, the gig was absolutley fantastic. If you've got tickets for a forthcoming show, then you're in for a real treat.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:21 am

Post Re: Hackett/Squire Project
Oh well, sometimes we just have to wait - think of Feedback 86; took 14 years.

But I must know: What is the "new" Genesis song they are playing???? Is it "... Hogweed"???

Cheers

TheBear

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Yes played a song from the Hackett/Squire project on their Fall 2008 tour. The song is entitled "Aliens Are Only Us From the Future". This was the first tour of the new Yes lineup with BenoƮt David on vocals and Oliver Wakeman on keyboards. This same lineup toured in 2009 and 2010, but that song was dropped.

On Dime, you can find live audio recordings of the song (and also a nicely filmed two-DVD recording).

I dont know whether the "Aliens" song was co-written by Hackett and Squire, or was merely a Squire composition intended for their collaboration project.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:04 pm

I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone who is looking forward to the show. Go to this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQYe3EehPUs

It's the performance of said song on the night in question.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Saw Steve and band in Brighton last night and really enjoyed it. Big nostalgia fest for me - one of my first gigs aged about 14 was Steve Hackett at the Colston Hall in Bristol. Seen him many times since, but not for donkey's years. My 14 year old son (drummer and guitarist himself) though it was amazing and loved Gary O'Toole. We were right in front of Steve and it was brilliant to see his technique up close. He really confirmed his status as one of the world's greatest players to me. His tone and texture is simply amazing. The set was great, though some of the new stuff I find a bit samey. HIghlights were the many old Genesis tracks, Ace of Wands, the end of Shadow of the H, Every Day, Tubehead, Still Waters and several others I probably can't remember the names of. Fabulous band, though I think Gary O'Toole's drumming is a great deal better than his singing at times (he was particularly shaky on the 'new' Genesis number referred to earlier in the thread). I would love to join the band and sing the Genesis vocals if he wants to concentrate on the drumming. Steve? Nick Beggs and Rob Townsend are both great. Sorry to be slightly critical, but really think there is a bit of an issue with Amanda Lehman. Can't see what contribution she makes really, though she sang the drippy vocal bit on S of the H very well. She looks less than relaxed on stage and her guitar is rarely audible. There's just something about it that doesn't work for me. Apart from that minor niggle, which didn't really detract from a pretty much faultless performance, it was was a brilliant show. If you were thinking of going but haven't got a ticket yet - GO!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Saw Steve and band in Brighton last night and really enjoyed it. Big nostalgia fest for me - one of my first gigs aged about 14 was Steve Hackett at the Colston Hall in Bristol. Seen him many times since, but not for donkey's years. My 14 year old son (drummer and guitarist himself) though it was amazing and loved Gary O'Toole. We were right in front of Steve and it was brilliant to see his technique up close. He really confirmed his status as one of the world's greatest players to me. His tone and texture is simply amazing. The set was great, though some of the new stuff I find a bit samey. HIghlights were the many old Genesis tracks, Ace of Wands, the end of Shadow of the H, Every Day, Tubehead, Still Waters and several others I probably can't remember the names of. Fabulous band, though I think Gary O'Toole's drumming is a great deal better than his singing at times (he was particularly shaky on the 'new' Genesis number referred to earlier in the thread). I would love to join the band and sing the Genesis vocals if he wants to concentrate on the drumming. Steve? Nick Beggs and Rob Townsend are both great. Sorry to be slightly critical, but really think there is a bit of an issue with Amanda Lehman. Can't see what contribution she makes really, though she sang the drippy vocal bit on S of the H very well. She looks less than relaxed on stage and her guitar is rarely audible. There's just something about it that doesn't work for me. Apart from that minor niggle, which didn't really detract from a pretty much faultless performance, it was was a brilliant show. If you were thinking of going but haven't got a ticket yet - GO!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Further to my initial post last year when this project looked dead in the water, there may have been some developments behind the scenes according to this interview which is newly featured on Steve's own site

http://www.therocktologist.com/hacket-int.html

Here's hoping...

Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Nice interview, so Hackett likes Muse now does he! ? Good, then I don't have to be ashamed of liking them myself.

Anyway - I'm mostly sadden that so little came out from the Hackett/Phillips collaboration.
Squire might be a great bass player but is he a good songwriter? His solo albums are like 50 times less good then Hacketts.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:16 am
Profile WWW

you should be ashamed of liking Muse...........so should Steve :)

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9NbPGzwfc0 <-- Muse song

Hackett can't be wrong.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 pm
Profile WWW

Derivative, generic, pedestrian and pointless. 8)
Probably liked by the same people who turn their noses up at CAS.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Update folks...album to be released on 28 May 2012.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/hackett-and-squire-start-new-band/?ns_campaign=28-12-11&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_source=classicrock&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Hope you all had a great Christmas. Happy New Year when it comes.

Eddie :yay:

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:26 pm

"Squackett"???? :shock: :roll:

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Something to look forward to, in 2012 :cool1:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]