View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Steve Hackett - Aberdeen 

Post Steve Hackett - Aberdeen
First post so please be kind :)

I've been a diehard fan of Genesis and the solo careers of Hackett and Banks in particular for 7 years (I'm 22). Last night was my first concert involving one of my heroes and I'm still buzzing. I was only a few feet away from him during the gig and also managed to shake his hand at the end of the night. He also signed the Spot the Pigeon LP I took along :) Basically, I will never forget the night. Wonderful music from both Genesis and his solo career. His band were also superb (Gary O'Toole in particular).

I managed to take a few photographs of Steve and his band on stage but more importantly captured Every Day, Firth of Fith, Watcher of the Skies, Spectral Mornings and (I think… I can't upload the videos at work!) Fly on a Windshield in full on my camera. The quality is as good as can be expected from a mini Nikon camera but I would love to share it anyone interested in Hackett/Genesis. How do I go about this? I was going to fire it on YouTube for a start then try make it available on here? Apart from one idiot (not indicative of Aberdonians believe me!) the crowd were excellent and at times you could hear a pin drop (especially during the quiet section in Hierophant… that was verging on haunting).

If anyone else went to the gig it would be great to hear from you. My only regret is that I was born in the wrong bloody era. A friend of mine who attended the gig last night said “I can’t remember who I saw last… Genesis on Duke or Gabriel on the Biko tour…” You B£%&*rd!

I hope Hackett comes back soon. Anyone reckon if there will be a recording? I’ve seen some recordings from last year but I doubt no one would have recorded Steve at a lonely wee town called Aberdeen!

Many thanks :D

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:01 am

Post Re: Steve Hackett - Aberdeen
Many thanks for that great report. I am going to see him and his band next Wednesday in southampton. I have been a Genesis fan for 35 years but never seen any of the members solo live so cant wait.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Tim,

Glad you're going to see him. It was a thrill and my head is still in the clouds. The musicianship was just incredible and the attention to detail in the early Genesis recordings was meticulous in his presentation. His passion was almost palpable and it's obvious he still cares for the old music. He noted that the Genesis songs he played were "from a little band I used to play with now and then". He can still sing! I thought his band would cover most of the vocals but I was surprised just how often he sang along. The best bit for me though was when he walked on the stage at the beginning of the night. His silhouette on stages hasn’t changed and for a split second I felt I was in the early 70s.

It was incredibly patient of Steve to stay back and sign CDs etc for the crowd. I've got a photo of him singing the LP and CD cover "Please Don't Touch" so that's something I will cherish. So make sure you bring something - or get him to sign your chest if you forget something...

Got some photos I will put up somewhere on this website. Hopefully do that and upload videos this weekend.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:00 pm

A 22 year old with LP's. Impressed. :)

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 pm

EP - not LP apologies :) It's even better now though it's got Steve's signature on it.

I just tried to upload one of the videos onto YouTube. I think i'ts going to be a "leave it overnight job" - it's takign forever :(

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 pm

I saw Steve and his band here in Washington DC in June 2010. Truly awesome!

One of the things I respect Steve for is varying his set-list. The selection of old Genesis tunes he plays isn't always the same. I don't know whether he varies it from night to night, but he certainly varies it from one leg of his tour to the next. This stands in great contrast to his old Genesis pals (whom I also love!), or Gabriel, who very rarely change their setlist during a tour.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Glad you enjoyed the Aberdeen show. I saw him in Edinburgh the following night. Nice to see him in a concert venue befitting his type of show instead of the converted ferry boat in Glasgow where he played on his last 4 visits to Scotland. Hopefully when (and if) the proposed Squackett dates materialise, they'll remember to tour throughout the UK and not just a one-off gig in London.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:03 am

Was Edinburgh good? I nearly drove there the next day but was working late :( Spot on about the set lists - he seems proud to have been in Genesis and really enjoyed Fly/Firth. Regarding the venue, The Lemon Tree was spot on. Intimiate yet big enough to hold enough fans. Apart from that one idiot who runied it for everyone. I hope Steve isn't put off in anyway coming back becasue of that shouting moron!

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]