View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 What's Phil doing during Ripples live instrumental? 

Post What's Phil doing during Ripples live instrumental?
Hello all. I've been watching the TM Productions DVD of the Lyceum 1980 show, during the instrumental section of Ripples Phil is seen playing with something in front of Tony's keyboards. Can anyone share with me what he is up to?

Thanks!
Tom

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:12 pm

Post Re: What's Phil doing during Ripples live instrumental?
Bass pedals I'd guess.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 pm

His drum machine was just in front of the keyboards. When he introduces "the three other musicians here tonight", the third is the Roland the bisexual drum machine and then he plays various rhythms on it. I guess he was adding something to Ripples or getting something set up for later as he had nothing else to do for a minute! :band:
:D

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 pm

I don't think there's a drum machine in this song.

I remember reading somewhere that he was playing bass pedals with his fists on this section of the song.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I agree, I'm pretty sure there is no drum machine on this version but he was definitely doing something there as I was in the front row just in front of it and could see him. Maybe just 'doing something' until his cue?!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I have to say, that it looks like some kind of keyboard he is playing...it’s defiantly not a drum machine, and I doubt it would be bass pedals (Mike and Daryl took care of them)

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 am

It wouldn't be a keyboard. It is well known that Tony never allowed anyone else to play keyboards for Genesis either live or on record.

A few years ago, on another forum (it might have been the old Paperlate mailing list) there was some discussion about the meaning of comments on the inner sleeve of Seconds Out. It says, "All drums Chester, except... Robbery Assualt and Battery keyboard solo - Phil." (Then it lists a few more).
To me it's pretty obvious what that means - Phil played drums during the RAB keyboard solo! But some members wondered if Phil actually PLAYED the keyboard solo! :huh:
It just so happened that one of the members of the forum was doing an interview with Tony for a fanzine around that time, and so he included the question about the meaning of the notes on Seconds Out, and Tony made it quite clear that Phil never played keybords for Genesis. Ever.
And it's one of the things Peter used to comment about as being one of the reasons he used to prance about in costumes during instrumental sections - Tony was very possessive about the keyboards.

As for what Phil is doing on the Lyceum video during Ripples... no idea! :D

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 pm

The mystery continues then....

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 am

"All drums Chester, except... Robbery Assualt and Battery keyboard solo - Phil." (Then it lists a few more).
To me it's pretty obvious what that means - Phil played drums during the RAB keyboard solo! But some members wondered if Phil actually PLAYED the keyboard solo!"
Yeah, I remember this misunderstanding being quite common, I've also seen comments from various review sites where they comment on Phil's keyboard playing during the Firth Of Fifth solo. :lol:

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 pm

I was was standing right in front of Phil at the Lyceum gig...and i cant remember him playing anything other than the drum machine,during Ripples (which is at his shoulder height),behind Tonys keyboards,but clearly he is doing something else,as shown on the TM version of the Lyceum gig, which is from the Tony cam angle, during Ripples..... :o

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]