View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Acapella Genesis 

Post Acapella Genesis
A couple of years back on this forum, there was a link to a YouTube clip which had taken tracks from the "Genesis For Two Grand Pianos" album and mashed them with Phil's vocal tracks from the original Genesis albums. Someone posted a reply to the effect that they knew how to extract the vocals in order to do this. I know this is probably a long shot but if anyone can remember who posted this or better still, knows how to extract the vocals, I'd very much appreciate a reply.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Location: Deep in the Black Forest near the 666 Willow Farm in a Land of Confusion
Post Re: Acapella Genesis
I think you can do it using the 5.1 Versions. There are 5channels and one of them contains the voice. And I think you can splite it out somehow.

I never tried it and I don't know how to do it.

But if it helps, I downloaded Phil's Vocaltrack from In Too Deep a few months ago. If you need it, I can send it to you :wink:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:30 pm
Profile ICQ

You need to play the 5.1 mixes on a DVD/SACD player with 6 discrete output channels for the different speakers. Normally you'll couple these channels up to a amp using a separate cable for each channel. Instead, you can take only the centre cable and plug this into an audio-in channel on a recorder or computer to record the signal from this channel alone.* Notice, however, that there are occasionally intrumentals mixed into the centre channel during the instrumental passages (for instance some of the guitar effects are put in centre channel in Return Of The Giant Hogweed, which you'll hear if you have the vocal-only version that someone circulated some years ago), and some of the vocal tracks (particularly backing vocals, but also if layered main vocals are used) are put in side channels and would be lost in this process.

There might be software to separate the individual channels from the mix, but I don't know if it's freeware and legal.

* Thinking about it, I guess you could also take the centre-out channel from the amp and plug into a recorder if you have a player that is connected to the amp through HDMI.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for the advice folks. I thought it might have been something to do with the 5.1 mixes but didn't have the equipment to check. The intention is to explore combining the original vocal tracks with backing tracks of a completely different styles from the original arrangements.

I might take up the offer of In Too Deep. It hadn't struck me as a track which had much scope for being varied in style but I'll give it some thought.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]