View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Phil Collins: Live at Montreux 2004 Blu-ray... thoughts? 

Post Phil Collins: Live at Montreux 2004 Blu-ray... thoughts?
Just picked up the second ever Phil Collins Blu-ray Disc, and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it properly, but I skipped through the chapter stops, and I'm quite impressed! :) I don't even have my powered subwoofer hooked up (nor any separate subwoofer at this point), but the bass drum in the opening number sounded like someone was banging on my front door! :w00t:

I have to say that the First Final Farewell Tour is my least favorite PC tour, since he might as well be a "guest vocalist" with all the backup singers he had by that point. Still, it does feature a nice variety of the older hits along with great songs from TARZAN, etc. (the songs from Brother Bear I could have done without, though). Obviously this doesn't completely replace the DVD from that tour, but personally the bonus features are about all I will watch on that release now.

I'm hoping Eagle Vision gets around to upgrading their Eric Clapton release to Blu-ray, since it was kind of redundant having two concerts from the same era on DVD. I'm certainly very happy to be able to toss my DVD-R boots of the 1996 and 2004 Montreux shows, although I'll definitely check to make sure nothing major is left off of the Blu-ray.

So, enough from me... what does everyone else think of this release? Even if you don't own it, do you think you'd buy it if you had a Blu-ray player, or is it just not worth the cost for something you already have as a boot or on the FFFT DVD?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Post Re: Phil Collins: Live at Montreux 2004 Blu-ray... thoughts?
I've preordered mine from Amazon, hope to receive it before long. So no comments yet on the actual content.

I hope, however, that this will prove an upgrade over the FFFT DVD, which never ranked very dearly with me. After the DITL Paris DVD - which is easily my favorite Phil show ever - I was very disappointed with the FFFT show which both was a let down in terms of setlist (too much "the Hits") and the performance - I felt Phil was in mediocre vocal at best. I know he had aged in the years between which had some of the fault, but I hope this show captures him on a better night.

I think there were some good moments on the other DVD. Unlike you, I rank 'No Way Out' from Brother Bear one of them. 'True Colours' definitely also, although the version from the soundcheck on the CD is much better. 'It's Not Too Late' and 'Come With Me' also were pretty nice. I just don't think the older stuff added very much to what he had released before.

Will share some more thoughts when I have had the opportunity to watch it. :cool2:

PS: Who here would give major cash to have a Blue Ray release of the FULL Paris 97 show? I certainly would! :cake:

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 am

Funny about Live And Loose In Paris... I thought exactly the same thing! :) I'd love to have that show, and even the Berlin "Serious Tour" concert, although I don't know if either were filmed. If they were shot on video, we have the best release possible already. I'd love to see the Invisible Touch Tour/Live At Wembley HD show to be transferred to Blu-ray, but I'm not sure how they could scale the 1125 lines to 1080 without artifacts or an annoying zoom/crop process. Of course the advertised Blu-ray of When In Rome is at the top of my want-but-can-never-have list. :(

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm

dvdgenesis wrote:
Funny about Live And Loose In Paris... I thought exactly the same thing! :) I'd love to have that show, and even the Berlin "Serious Tour" concert, although I don't know if either were filmed. If they were shot on video, we have the best release possible already. I'd love to see the Invisible Touch Tour/Live At Wembley HD show to be transferred to Blu-ray, but I'm not sure how they could scale the 1125 lines to 1080 without artifacts or an annoying zoom/crop process. Of course the advertised Blu-ray of When In Rome is at the top of my want-but-can-never-have list. :(

At this rate you'll have to change your username to "bluraygenesis" :D

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Tulyar wrote:
dvdgenesis wrote:

At this rate you'll have to change your username to "bluraygenesis" :D

LOL... yeah, I'm a bit behind the times I guess. :redface:

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm

kaspergm wrote:
PS: Who here would give major cash to have a Blue Ray release of the FULL Paris 97 show? I certainly would! :cake:

yeah, i would love to see the Live and Loose in Paris given the full blu ray treatment... :bounce:

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:55 am

dvdgenesis wrote:
Funny about Live And Loose In Paris... I thought exactly the same thing! :) I'd love to have that show, and even the Berlin "Serious Tour" concert, although I don't know if either were filmed. If they were shot on video, we have the best release possible already.

It's not so much the picture quality with Live And Loose that bothers me - I think it looks fine as it is. Sure, it's not HD, but that doesn't keep me awake at night. What really bothers me is that:
a) They cut away almost half of the show, including some of my favorite moments: River So Wide, Find A Way To My Heart, Can't Turn Back The Years, Both Sides Of The Story and of course the piano version of Do You Remember - neither of which have ever been released officially on DVD from any tour.
b) The sound was mixed in 5.0, which means that sound is due for a serious update.

Before I got the audience recording from that night, I always assumed they excluded those tracks because the performance didn't meet the standard of the other tracks, but since the audience recording got out, we know that's not even the case: The whole concert is stellar from beginning to end, so there's really no excuse for not putting the whole thing out now. God knows it's long overdue. :music:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Didn't know that about the DITL Tour... although it's one of my favorite eras of Phil's career, I never got to see him live during that period (just in 1990 and '94), and I don't have any boots from that period aside from the VH-1 Barcelona special. I remember recording the cable broadcast on VHS, and it seemed identical to what ended up being released on DVD. I'd definitely love to see what I missed... guess it's long past time I started torrenting again. :music:

LOL... I just saw your "music" smiley. Didn't even notice until I was re-reading my post and we both had one! :thumbsup:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:20 pm

I also love DITL (contrary to many fans), and I feel the tour was probably his best ever (along with Both Sides). The set was great and varied in structure and content (as in both hits and none-hits), and the stage and lightning was nothing but spectacular.

To their credit, the DVD was pretty well edited, so you didn't really notice, but the actual set of the concert was:

Hand In Hand
Hang In Long Enough
Don't Lose My Number

River So Wide /
Take Me Down /
Find A Way To My Heart
Another Day In Paradise
Can't Turn Back The Years
Against All Odds
Lorenzo
Separate Lives

Both Sides Of The Story
Do You Remember? [piano version]
Long, Long Way To Go [piano version]
One More Night [piano version]
In The Air Tonight
Timbantiocha
Easy Lover
Dance Into The Light
Wear My Hat

You Can't Hurry Love /
Two Hearts /
Something Happened On The Way To Heaven /
Sussudio

Take Me Home

I have a really nice audience recording of the show, I just listened to it the other day after the talk here, and all I can say is that what they cut away is easily as great as what is left in.

Last edited by kaspergm on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 am

For a minute there I thought what was in bold had been left out, and I was thinking "meh... no big loss", then I realized that was what was on the DVD. :wink: I had completely forgot about LLWTG being in that show... I love that song! I think it was used in an episode of MIAMI VICE, and I really enjoyed it when I first bought No Jacket Required on cassette.

I'd love to see a full show from that tour, and of course one advantage of Blu-ray is the larger capacity, although being HD video I don't know if that translates into a longer running time or not. Definitely time for me to start collecting boots again.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Indeed, the inclusion of Long, Long Way To Go was one of the few positive surprises in the pick for the DVD. But a full show from that tour would be most welcome indeed. Also, a show from the American leg that had a quite different setlist would also be sweet.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:30 pm

I wonder, if it ever does appear on blu ray, will they be lazy, and not bother to expand it with the missing songs.
My guess is the latter…. certainly would be an opportunity missed.
and yes, LLWTG is a great song...didnt Phil sing that song on the piano, on his stint on Live Aid, with Sting......

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Squonkendos wrote:
I wonder, if it ever does appear on blu ray, will they be lazy, and not bother to expand it with the missing songs.
My guess is the latter…. certainly would be an opportunity missed.
and yes, LLWTG is a great song...didnt Phil sing that song on the piano, on his stint on Live Aid, with Sting......

Yeah, according to Wikipedia, he did. Personally, I didn't think the live collaboration between those two worked very well, especially on Every Breath You Take. Nice to see them working together, but not quite as pleasant to hear. Sting's contribution to the studio version of the song works very well though.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Dont think the blu ray is brilliant, the sound on it in stereo is very average, and the video itself is shot very poorly.

They say its HD, but it looks like its filmed from the cameras Phil has by his stage every night (with the addition of a couple more) this seems like a just above bootleg quality in terms of shot video, i didnt watch it all but noticed some very long shots at times, from very odd angles, and there seemed to be nothing else to "cut to" or it was edited on the night and the mistakes are left in?

Phil seems ridiculously bored during the set with zero energy, and it looks like he's just going through the motions, he says in the booklet that all the regular tour stuff is left on the truck (cos it wont fit into the venue) but it shows that without all that, Phil really struggles to perform.

On the evidence of this blu ray you have to wonder whether Phil gave up touring not because he was getting older, but that he just wasnt interested in it anymore. The Paris DVD is better.. and the blu ray is nice to have, but i was just surprised how lacklustre the performance, and direction of the show are.

I dont have a set up for my blu ray to make the best of the sound (i like many i expect use my PS3 for blu ray..) so it was solely on the basis of superior picture quality i bought this, sadly though the quality maybe be technically superior to Paris, the direction, the editing are not. Sadly.

Missed opportunity really... the extra section doesnt interest me at all, but thats another debate, why couldnt the Unplugged or Storytellers shows have been included? Or both?

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Well, it's definitely HD, but you have a point that just because the specs say it's better doesn't make it a better performance on the whole. As I mentioned, by that point Phil's tours were becoming 'showier' with less substance, and all the backup singers made it seem more like a Phil Collins Tribute Night than a concert by the man himself. I still haven't had a chance to sit down and properly watch this thing, but obviously my decision is made since it's already in my library. I probably won't watch it much, and I can say with a great degree of certainty that I'd much rather watch Live And Loose In Paris in good old standard-def, but any time a title or artist I enjoy makes it onto Blu-ray, it's a good thing. :)

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next