View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 BBC "Genesis Together and Apart" - 90 minutes of fraud 

Post BBC "Genesis Together and Apart" - 90 minutes of fraud
I've just finished watching BBC's "Genesis Together and Apart", and I am angry beyond description. Apart from 10-15 seconds of "Atomic Sunrise" material, there was absolutely nothing new (the talking heads may be different, but the viewpoints not so).

Bizarrely, the program, which otherwise showed every studio album with release date and chart positions, somehow managed to leave out "Wind and Wuthering"! They stuffed up the chronology of songs from that era (making it sound like "Your Own Special Way" came from the trio-era, and Steve Hackett was largely airbrushed out of history - NO mention of his solo-material, NO mention of his hugely successful and popular "Revisited" tour, and only a few seconds of the reason for the split - Peter Gabriel backing him up non-verbally, the trio looking like affronted undertakers.

And of course, making the entire program one big fraud, there was not one single word about the "Calling All Stations" era, which - while admittedly not a roaring success, did chart at no 2 in the UK. I mean, they gave plenty of air-time to a convicted pedophile, but didn't mention someone who actually wrote, recorded and toured with Genesis.

Pathetic.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Post Re: BBC "Genesis Together and Apart" - 90 minutes of fraud
I haven't seen the documentary yet, but from what I hear, it's nothing to rush for either. Can't say I'm too surprised either, although cutting out Wind And Wuthering seems bizarre given that Tony has previously named it one of his favorites if I'm not mistaken.

I was glad to see Steve have the confidence to openly express his dislike with the decisions made in the documentary. I've never been tremendously dedicated to Steve, but I have to give him hands down that seeing the "Revisited" show earlier this year was one of the biggest concert experiences in my life and felt like living a genuine Genesis moment - something that seeing the threesome back in 2007 was very far from! Fly On A Windshield / Broadway Melody / Fountain Of Salmacis / Musical Box being played back to back was unreal!

I know many fans also dismiss the CAS era, but personally, I find that if one swaps a couple of the weaker songs on the album (Shipwrecked, Alien Afternoon) with some of the stronger B-sides (Anything Now, Sign Your Life Away, Run Out Of Time) one ends up with one of the most consistent albums of their whole career. But no matter whether one likes it or not, pretending it didn't happen seems ... silly.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Post Re: BBC "Genesis Together and Apart" - 90 minutes of fraud
I note the DVD/BlueRay cover has the sub-title "sum of the parts"

Given the omissions as it was broadcast, a better title would have been "some of the parts"

Genesis must be the only band who'll do anything to make money apart from the core functions of being a band - touring and making records!

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]