View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Abacab Cover Handwriting 

Post Abacab Cover Handwriting
I'm not really a member at any other Genesis fan forums, so I didn't know where else to post this question. It's been rattling around in my head for a long while now, so let's get it out there and see if there is an answer. Forgive me if this has been discussed and buried already, but I looked and looked, and could not find any mention of it anywhere.

Staring at the Abacab LP cover hanging to the left of my monitor for the past year, I noticed the text seems to have been written by three different hands.

"Genesis" is broken up into "Gen", "es" and "is". The E's from the parts one and two don't match at all, and the S's from parts two and three don't look anything alike.

"abacab" is all broken up into separate letters, but the three a's don't look anything alike, and neither do the two b's. However, not being a handwriting expert, "ab" looks like one hand, "ac" looks like another and "ab" looks like a third.

I've seen enough of Phil's handwriting to take a guess at which bits are his, but is it obvious that if there are three writers that those people are Tony, Mike and Phil? Is there any discussion documented anywhere that covers this?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Post Re: Abacab Cover Handwriting
Your question has prompted me to look again at the cover - I certainly had never before noticed what you say about the handwriting, but now I've looked carefully I completely agree with your comments! It's intriguing! :) Unfortunately I can't answer your question...
The last two letters of 'Genesis' and of 'abacab' both appear to be slightly thicker, or the writer pressed harder. Maybe those pairs are both the same person.
I've always assumed that the logo on the next album (self-titled) was a kind of 'tidied up' version of the logo on Abacab - turned into a script typeface rather than simply handwriting.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Well, since this board isn't quite the appropriate venue to get any answers on this, is there another, more general fan forum anyone could recommend?

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Facebook?

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:19 pm

I think Phil Collins wrote it, and the writing on "Three Sides Live," too.
To me, the characteristics of the handwriting are very much like that on "Face Value" and "Hello, I Must Be Going!"
So, I always assumed it was Phil's writing--so much so that I never bothered to ask or look it up!

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:01 am

I'd put my money on Bill Smith having written it. Just saying. :P

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]