View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Three sides live - actually playback!? 

Post Three sides live - actually playback!?
Hi everyone,

has anyone also noticed, that at least part of TSL, Phil sings on playback? In particular, on Duchess, in the part where "nodoby cried for more" and a few seconds after that, he just drops from the lip-syncing and obviously for a while does not know what to do, yet catches up quickly. I wonder why they did that, and also whether they did it on other songs as well. Also, since it is an official DVD/Blu-Ray, is it possible that during the production nobody has noticed that? Or did he mess up the song live, and then they fixed it in the production by replacing the audio from a different night?

Libor

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Post Re: Three sides live - actually playback!?
I haven't noticed this, I can't be bothered watching the video with the horrible intercuts. When that's said, they didn't use playback, I have many different audience recordings from the Abacab tour, and the vocals are clearly different between nights, so he did sing live. However, it is highly possible that parts of the vocal tracks have been changed, I do remember someone mentioning an overdub in Duchess (I never noticed which part), and I also know that the vocals for Man On The Corner, as it appeared on Archive 2, were changed or taken from a different night, because you can hear from the very characteristic audience shout-outs that the recording of MOTC is indeed from the night listed when comparing to audience recordings, but the vocal track does *not* match the vocals on the audience recording. So yeah, bottom line is: Pretty sure vocal has been tampered with to fix mistakes.

PS: There's also the infamous Firth Of Fifth recording from this tour that appeared on the Atlantic recording. In the bootleg, it's clear that Phil forgets and skips and entire line in the last verse, but in the officially released track, this line is present, so again ... recordings have been tampered with.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Yes, an overdub seems more probable, but if you watch the video, it really looks like he is somewhat surprised at what he is hearing, it does not look like he forgets what to sing, it looks like he suddenly hears something else that he is singing, and then catches up. Have a look here:

http://youtu.be/l74bywYPsgE?t=4m24s

I was wondering maybe it was a playback just for the one show, I think at the beginning, they talk a bit about Phils voice (I did not quite understand what exactly is going on there). Anyway, on the other hand, looking at the rest of the song, I believe that it would be difficult to really lipsync all the little nuances, so an overdub is still a better explanation.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:55 am

It seems to me that if Phil is looking confused at that moment it is because he has forgotten the lyrics for a moment. And the sound on the recording has been overdubbed from another show. That's just my opinion anyway!
Thanks for posting this - there is a never-ending supply of questions and discussions to be had about Genesis, even after all these years. :D

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:14 pm

I must admit, I don't really see it, but if there is indeed some difference between video and audio, I still do think overdub is most likely explanation.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Never noticed that either. If you carry on watching, shortly after he does it again with the next part of the song as well.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]