View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Does Phil Collins sing lead vocals on TLLDOB? 

Post Does Phil Collins sing lead vocals on TLLDOB?
Does Phil Collins sing lead vocals on Counting Out Time & the first part of Lilywhite Lilith on the album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? Thank you.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:00 am

Post Re: Does Phil Collins sing lead vocals on TLLDOB?
Phil does a lot of backing vocals on The Lamb, and also occasional lead vocals on certain lines. Counting Out Time is Peter all the way through, although the spoken line "This is it Rael" sounds like it might be Phil, and they sing "Honey get hip, it's time to unzip!" together. It's Phil again on a spoken line which I can never quite decipher - something about a guitar at 2:30.

Lilywhite Lillith is also Peter all the way - listen to the pronunciation of "Said if I helped her through she could help me too, but I could see that she was wholly blind," from 0:14 - the second 'help' and the growl on 'but I' could only be Peter.
Phil does quite a lot of choral backing on that song - clear on the chorus at 1:20.
Interestingly, on the one occasion they played this live after Peter left (Rainbow 1st Jan 1977), the lack of Phil's backing vocals is very noticeable.

Phil clearly sings lead on the line, "Now can't you see, where the raven flies there's jeopardy!" at 6:09 in The Colony of Slippermen - taking Brother John's part in the script.
There are almost certainly others, and when I next sit down to listen to the album carefully, I'll find some more! maybe some others on this forum (if anyone's left!) can suggest some others.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Thank you for the information. Very informative.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:22 pm

I've always heard that bit in COUNTING OUT TIME as "Take it away, Mr. Guitar!"

Sat May 16, 2015 6:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]