View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 THE MUSICAL BOX - TRICK OF THE TAIL 2008 

Post THE MUSICAL BOX - TRICK OF THE TAIL 2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32814074@N00/2896958910/in/set-72157607558049458/

SPOILER ALERT - REVIEW FROM OFFICIAL WEBSITE

I really think this was a great "Genesis" show, althoutg Denis was more Peter than Phil. But afterall it was a really great concert, bringing back some fantastic memories from last summer. During Los Endos I was back at Old Trafford, and when they played carpet crawlers and firth of fifth I was nearly crying as I did at Twickenham.....
They opened with Dance on a Volcano, a nice version - but I felt they were a bit nervous and it was not that puncy as Genesis does it. Denis did a ok job, but in the beginning I felt it was more Peter singing than Phil. Kind of interesting to know, if you would prefered Peter to have continued. The problem is that Denis do not get the high notes as Phil did. But maybe the problem is that I am used to see him as Peter.....
They then did three songs from The lamb, opening with the title song, fly on the windshield and then a wonderfull version of Carpet Crawlers. Wow..... The audience was really feeling well during these songs. I never saw they doing the lamb-shows, but when I heard them singing Carpet Crawler I guessed it must have been great. The lamb itself was ok, but I really preferred Carpet of the three. But maybee one of the problems is that I compare it too last years shows, and I really prefered Phils version.
Then it was time for Rome and Juliet. A fantastic version for The Cinema Show, and the double drums was fantastic. I think it was one of the greatest moments of the whole show. The Tony parts was magnificense.......
Mark did the drum parts as Phil, and he did a great job together with Gregg. When Denis should play drums, he got back a small wall, and Mark came in front playing the drums with the same clothes and hair. It do not think many people saw the changes.. .Exept from some drumming on I know what like, Denis did not play drums at all. But Gregg and Mark played really dreat double drums. Look forward to it
Robbery... and White Mountains was nice. The first one with some great drum parts, and the the other one ok. But I think White M was the weekest moment of the whole concert.
Then a fantastic piano intro, and we got "Steve" doing Firth og fifth with double drums... I was flying, what a song ...what a great solo
A beautiful Entangled with three guitars and ok Sqounk, before Suppers Ready was performed. As always the do it perfectly, but I felt it was more 1973/74 than 76. But maybe I am wrong.....
Then "I know what like", with me singing too.... I missed som instrumental parts, but maybe they didnt do that in 76. Denise did some tamburine parts, but I think he has to practise before he does it as Phils does.... Maybe in the shower, Denis

And the Los Endos, with smoke, lights, double drums and passion. magnificence....... What a song to end with, what a song.... A fantastic version, and it was so great that encore was a bit disapointing....

they finished with It and Watcher (without vocal) Great songs, but they did not manage to follow up Los Endos..... With Los Endos I was back at Old Trafford or maybee Gentofte stadium in 87. A really fab version....

Afterwards I had to go to the pub and drink some dark beers and dream about all the Bitters at the pubs outside Old Trafford and Twickenham

You can all look forward to this show. Even if it is more like Peter than Phil singing, it was great. It would maybee have been even greater with Martin, but afterall it was a fantastic concert.

Run too the ticketssellers, folks

Oystein

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"

http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com

Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: THE MUSICAL BOX - TRICK OF THE TAIL 2008
That's a cool interview, Dan! Thanks for sharing it. Sure hope they make it to North America :D

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:18 am

I already have tickets for their Philly shows....soo wait for an announcement!

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Danlaw83 wrote:
I already have tickets for their Philly shows....soo wait for an announcement!

AHHH!!! Exciting!!! I can't wait to hear more. Hopefully they'll come somewhere not too far from Peoria

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 am

I saw TMB TOTT tour last night at Fairfield Hall, Croydon (UK)

Fantastic stuff but the sound set up was dreadful - and I know I'm not alone in grumbling about this as I could hear many, many people saying the same thing on the way out at the end. Far too bass heavy, too much distortion and for well over 50% of the show, the singer's vocals could not be heard!!!

Musically fantastic though, never has just over two hours flown by so fast!

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:45 pm

SamLouise wrote:
I saw TMB TOTT tour last night at Fairfield Hall, Croydon (UK)

Fantastic stuff but the sound set up was dreadful - and I know I'm not alone in grumbling about this as I could hear many, many people saying the same thing on the way out at the end. Far too bass heavy, too much distortion and for well over 50% of the show, the singer's vocals could not be heard!!!

Musically fantastic though, never has just over two hours flown by so fast!

Sorry have to disagree...Sound was just as i remember back in 76, with booming bass pedals, just the way it was meant to be for ATOTT tour. :thumbsup:
Sound was fine where i was sitting....And i did'nt hear one person complaining about it, in fact everybody i spoke to afterwarwds was raving about, how bloody fantasic the show was....TMB, in one word..... SUPERB :D

I've seen TMB four times now...never dissapointing...True professionals :thumbsup:

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:25 am

That show was great. I had no problems with the vocals, thought it WAS GABRIEL. The slides and videos were great. The Lazer was more than I expected. Musically the band was TIGHT and sounded better than they ever have! Might have been the different versions of the songs than they usually play. The intro into Supper's Ready cracked me up. This is TAP DANCING!!!!

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Danlaw83 wrote:
That show was great. I had no problems with the vocals, thought it WAS GABRIEL. The slides and videos were great. The Lazer was more than I expected. Musically the band was TIGHT and sounded better than they ever have! Might have been the different versions of the songs than they usually play. The intro into Supper's Ready cracked me up. This is TAP DANCING!!!!

Dan...Looks like you enjoyed the show then.. :cool1:

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:27 pm

The only 1976 boot that I am familiar with is the Pittsburgh show. On that night, the two songs that Bruford alters the most were "Entangled" and "Squonk". His light percussion on "Entangled" is nice, but I feel that he ruins "Squonk" -- he plays it as a straightforward heavy rock song, eliminating a lot of Phil's wonderful drumfills.

Do you recall whether The Musical Box replicated Bruford's playing on these pieces?

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Entangled was the album version, no percussion. Squonk was a mixture of both. Had some of Phil's fills (lol) but it seems more straight of a rock beat to me and I thought about it as they were playing it. It kinda sounded like he tried to do both. A lot of the FAST fills Phil does on the song, Gregg couldn't hit. Gregg is a great drummer though and did it justice. The band was super tight, musically wasn't a dull moment during the show. What made me smile a bit was during the last few bars of the FoF Guitar solo "Steve" bowed a bit and smiled in while still playing the solo! :band:

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:01 am
Profile YIM WWW

Old news really but I haven't been back since my last post.

Squonk, guess you were lucky with your seats then as the sound was definitely distorted where we were sat and I guarantee there were quite a few grumbles upon exit for that very reason. Our seats were in the front stalls somewhere around row Q I think?

Dan, I had no grumble with the singers vocals either, only that half the time I couldn't hear them!

That's the third time I've been to see TMB and I can't wait to go again :)

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:21 am

Post Re: THE MUSICAL BOX - TRICK OF THE TAIL 2010
Heyy all anyone need tickets for Philly show onthe 29th

Row H - Center - Seat's 101 & 102

39.50 each, I will sell both for 60 buckeroos. Will give them to you at the show, or mail them

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]