View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 14-Jul-2007 Circo Massimo, Rome 

squonkman wrote:
I have to hand it to Rush. They put on a heckuva show. Saw them Friday night, and I could have done without all the songs off the new album, which I really haven't listened to yet, the new songs did sound pretty good for the most part, back to a more progressive sound. They played most of the standards you'd want to hear---Limelight, Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions (hadn't heard that live before I don't think), but the best thing was they played my two favorite songs from I think a very overlooked album, Grace Under Pressure; Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A---very pleasantly surprised at those. And topping that, they played what may be their most progressive suite of songs---the whole Natural Science suite from the Permanent Waves album and then went right into Witch Hunt. Wow.

They sounded tight, and unlike Genesis, I have to say, they have a sense of humor. They had little videos that introduced some of the songs that were funny, including a Bob and Doug McKenzie thing, and their stage props included 3 huge henroasters stocked with chickens roasting away inside, a whole slew of dinosaurs on top of the amps, and various things like Simpsons bobble heads and Barbie Dolls etc. They know how to get the crowd into it and connect, so the show is involving---the crowd stood throughout. Neil Peart certainly gives Phil a run for the money drumming---he is as versatile and no nonsense as they come.

All in all, one of the best Rush concerts I ever saw---kicking myself I missed the 30th anniversary shows.

Seeing them on September 8th, and Rush being my favorite band behind Genesis, I'm real excited.

But get outta here. They played Red Sector A? I haven't seen that in any of the setlists I've seen this tour. As for Distant Early Warning, it's been alternating with Summertime Blues, and I'm really hoping I get DEW. So they play three of my four favorites from GUP (Between the Wheels, DEW, Sector A, excluding Kid Gloves).

I've always considered Neil a better drummer than Phil, only because Neil takes risks and is experimental, and Phil, while he plays really well, doesn't take those same risks (with the possible exception of the stools this year).

Before I get excited for Genesis, this show's been on my mind. Can't wait! Thanks for the review...

Now that I think about it, I got carried away. They only played DEW from that album, not Red Sector A. For some reason I had Red Sector A in my head after the concert---maybe Dreamline did that to me---there's a similarity in sound on those 2 songs. Anyway, it was a very good concert, the sound was awesome and they sounded tight. In fact, I am toying with the idea of driving up to Chicago myself and seeing them again, esp to see them play Natural Science again.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 pm

I am not going to get started on the Phil thing. I have learned when it comes to NP, I am wrong...I am bitter, not gonna talk about it!

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"

http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:10 am
Profile YIM WWW

AeroZach wrote:
squonkman wrote:
I have to hand it to Rush. They put on a heckuva show. Saw them Friday night, and I could have done without all the songs off the new album, which I really haven't listened to yet, the new songs did sound pretty good for the most part, back to a more progressive sound. They played most of the standards you'd want to hear---Limelight, Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions (hadn't heard that live before I don't think), but the best thing was they played my two favorite songs from I think a very overlooked album, Grace Under Pressure; Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A---very pleasantly surprised at those. And topping that, they played what may be their most progressive suite of songs---the whole Natural Science suite from the Permanent Waves album and then went right into Witch Hunt. Wow.

They sounded tight, and unlike Genesis, I have to say, they have a sense of humor. They had little videos that introduced some of the songs that were funny, including a Bob and Doug McKenzie thing, and their stage props included 3 huge henroasters stocked with chickens roasting away inside, a whole slew of dinosaurs on top of the amps, and various things like Simpsons bobble heads and Barbie Dolls etc. They know how to get the crowd into it and connect, so the show is involving---the crowd stood throughout. Neil Peart certainly gives Phil a run for the money drumming---he is as versatile and no nonsense as they come.

All in all, one of the best Rush concerts I ever saw---kicking myself I missed the 30th anniversary shows.

Seeing them on September 8th, and Rush being my favorite band behind Genesis, I'm real excited.

But get outta here. They played Red Sector A? I haven't seen that in any of the setlists I've seen this tour. As for Distant Early Warning, it's been alternating with Summertime Blues, and I'm really hoping I get DEW. So they play three of my four favorites from GUP (Between the Wheels, DEW, Sector A, excluding Kid Gloves).

I've always considered Neil a better drummer than Phil, only because Neil takes risks and is experimental, and Phil, while he plays really well, doesn't take those same risks (with the possible exception of the stools this year).

Before I get excited for Genesis, this show's been on my mind. Can't wait! Thanks for the review...

Now that I think about it, I got carried away. They only played DEW from that album, not Red Sector A. For some reason I had Red Sector A in my head after the concert---maybe Dreamline did that to me---there's a similarity in sound on those 2 songs. Anyway, it was a very good concert, the sound was awesome and they sounded tight. In fact, I am toying with the idea of driving up to Chicago myself and seeing them again, esp to see them play Natural Science again.

The only con to coming to the Chicago show would be First Midwest's sound. Other than that, lovely venue, nice stage, all that. Shame they're closing it down, I've been there enough to call it a second home. Rush will probably be the last rock concert at the venue, so that's also pretty special, at least to me.

I'm real excited to see Natural Science as well, then there's Digital Man, Entre Nous, Dreamline, BTW, and possibly DEW also. And I know my friend who I'm going with, who's a serious drummer, will just be in awe of the drum solo as well.

Should be a fun experience, no doubt 8)

Two Shows Live
October 2, United Center, Chicago, IL
October 4, United Center, Chicago, IL

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:23 am

squonkman wrote:
AeroZach wrote:
squonkman wrote:

The only con to coming to the Chicago show would be First Midwest's sound. Other than that, lovely venue, nice stage, all that. Shame they're closing it down, I've been there enough to call it a second home. Rush will probably be the last rock concert at the venue, so that's also pretty special, at least to me.

I'm real excited to see Natural Science as well, then there's Digital Man, Entre Nous, Dreamline, BTW, and possibly DEW also. And I know my friend who I'm going with, who's a serious drummer, will just be in awe of the drum solo as well.

Should be a fun experience, no doubt 8)

they are closing down the Tinley Park outdoor shed? Where are they going to have all the outside summer tours? Frickin A. One of the reasons that place was good for me was that it was an easy 3.5 hour shot from St Louis, right off the highway on the southwest edge of Chicago. Perfect for road trips. Darn it.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4