View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 14-Jul-2007 Circo Massimo, Rome 

Post A wonderful night with Genesis at Circo Massimo
So the european leg of Genesis' turn it on again reunion tour is over....
A wonderful evening with Genesis in Rome at Circo Massimo last night. All started at 9:18 p.m....No set list changes, great show, lotta people, music a bit too loud (often distorcing, above all the powerful bass pedals, at times really unbearable if you think I was 20 meters away from Phil Collins along with my son Paolo).
Behind the lines/Duke's end - Home/2nd Home were performed at a very high level. Anyway, Los Endos was the top of the best with Genesis giving us a powerful well played version. Also the drum duet now lasting 6 minutes or so was brilliant...The worst track was Follow you Follow me.What a pity for Firth of 5th...great troubles in the beginning....dunno if they can edit a decent version for the dvd....Beautiful Ripples and Mama.
I have some interesting photos that I will try to send to share with all Genesis fans..
There were 4 extra videowalls for a - literally - wall of people (i don't know if we were exactly 500.000, but it seems so) and people from all over the world...Genesis looked very happy for the special occasion and the special venue...Phil talked in a funny italian reading from his usual paper and a lot of italians main newspapers reports the news with photos and people impressions...At the end we were both tired and excited for a show that we will save carefully in our memories.
Cheers, TheKnife :D
p.s. I've bought two t-shirts the mug one poster and the passlike roundneck...+ I've had paid today my preordered music.com double cd....

Last edited by theknife on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:00 pm

Two Shows Live
October 2, United Center, Chicago, IL
October 4, United Center, Chicago, IL

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Any pics? Video?

yes, of course, but i need a few days to post them on line...be a little patient...in the meanwhile you better go to
http://www.telecomprogettoitalia.it/def ... dPage=1554
cheers, TheKnife :D

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:10 pm

The Circo Massimo was the best show i ever seen in my life. I'm a sound and light technician since from 20 years ago and toured the whole world for working a couple of time, with music, dance, theatre etc.
Genesis are capable to build a show with themselves playing on stage and a granitic and superb light and video show over their heads without any fear to be surclassed from the entire "machine".
Phil is at his best shape, singing with a passion and showing an enormous energy. From the stage he took by hand the audience and drove it through the show as he wanted, sometimes laughing and make laugh 500.000 people, sometimes singing those wonderful songs from Genesis past to more recent episodes, having a strong interaction with Mike and Tony, and Daryl and Chester, leading the tension at top level during the whole gig without a momentary lapse or a second of lacking.
The entire show is an enormous machine, setted up to support these bandmates, they demonstrated again to have so clear the way they express their endless talent through an infinite show.
All of this was the best to me, i really hope te see them again as soon, maybe within a couple of years.
PGi

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:46 am

so was the bottom line on the webcast that nothing worthwhile could be seen or heard? Did I miss anything? I tried a few times and it would never even seem to load, but I can't read Italian so I don't even know if I was hitting the right link.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 pm

so was the bottom line on the webcast that nothing worthwhile could be seen or heard? Did I miss anything? I tried a few times and it would never even seem to load, but I can't read Italian so I don't even know if I was hitting the right link.

all I know - because I were there and not on the internet, so I've just heard of it - is that you didn't miss anything due to a lot of problems with the podcast and the web broadcasting. Just few images of the crowd and none of the stage, no audio...I have some good photos shot by me and a couple of nice videoclips (in the cage first 4 mins. and firth of 5th first 3 mins). Can anyone tell me how to compress and, above all, how to post on the forum? Thanx, Cheers, TheKnife :D

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:46 pm

Post RE: Bongo Mans Review
He Wrote ....

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:58 am Post subject: Template Review of the Rome gig- for music 'journalists'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For any music journalists out there who are planning on writing a review of the Genesis Rome concert but are annoyed it may cramp your drinking at the gig, feel free to use any or all of my Genesis review template to save time:-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After getting to the gig late, because no-one in Rome seemed to know where the stupid show was when I asked them, or if they could lend me 20 euro for a drink I finally made my way to my seat in what can only be described as an old warehouse. The place was an absolute ruin. I joked to the guy next to me, between swigs of vodka, that this place was so old the Romans probably used it last. Mirthless, these Genesis fans.

Collins looked about 20 years older than when I saw him in concert in 1987, Banks spent pretty much the whole concert sitting down tapping his fingers on some sort of box and Rutherford didn't bother to swing his arm around or smash his guitar at any point in the proceedings.

At some point they played the overblown keyboard heavy prog-rock anthem "I can't dance", which reminded me why punk was formed. I like punk. Why, oh why did punk happen before I was born.

After 2 hours, they still hadn't played any of their big hits that even I knew- like 'In the air tonight', 'Roundabout' or 'Sledgehammer'.

I was told by someone next to me that they hadn't played anything newer than 1992- like, did we all look like hippies or whatever went on back then?

I put on my iPod and listened to 'the Stranglers' for the rest of the concert, I shouldn't have to put up with this.

I didn't want to go to this concert (my so-called friend Brian got to go to see a Ramones cover-band), and I don't like them or their music but that has nothing to do with my 1/10 score for the concert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There- drink to your hearts content...
My Reply

Getting to the concert late was obviously Bad planning, the information on the concert has been on the internet for Months.

It comes of no suprise to any Genesis fan that After 2 hours, they still hadn't played 'In the air tonight', which is a Phil Collins rack, 'Roundabout' which is a Yes track or 'Sledgehammer' which is a Peter Gabriel track.

As to not playing anything Prior to 1992 you obviously don't know when

In The Cage / The Cinema Show / Duke’s Travels / Afterglow
Follow You, Follow Me
Firth of Fifth / I Know What I Like
Carpet Crawlers

were recorded...

I enjoyed this concert very much and the free spirit that let 500,000 fans with no stewarding or policing made it an unforgettable evening in Rome

I strongly suggest that any journalist taking your review as a basis for a report on the concert would be seriously compromising his integrity. :D

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:26 am

We'll have time enough to introduce each other, my name is Gianmaria, I'm 34, half Italian and half Scottish, I've always been living in Italy and I've been a G fan for 21 years up till now.
My fav G period is the 4 mid seventies band, I also like the late PG era and the early three piece band era quite a lot, especially 'Duke', 'Wind and Wuthering', 'A Trick of the Tail' and 'The Lamb'.
I got to know Genesis when radios played 'Abacab' in '81, they were a celebrity here in Italy, but it was only when 'Invisible Touch' came out that I decided to get through the music of this band. I was a teenager.
Apart from that, I always felt that Genesis' turning point was not Peter or Steve leaving, but the 'Duke'-'Abacab'-'Genesis' passage. From 1983 onwards half of their music lost weight and relevance and we've been having half albums made up of good stuff (mainly Tony's) and the other half not that strong.
This free gig in Rome was my chance to check out wether Genesis had remained stuck in the '80s or they had decided to dare play their magic stuff a bit more.
I'll state my views now, it's just opinions coming from a fan: five songs from Invisible Touch are too much to me.
That album marked their bigger success in the US, but most of the people here in Italy prefer albums like 'Duke', mainly from 'Duke' backwards.
I knew Genesis would probably play a sort of 'Invisible Touch tour' with some new entries from the '76-'80 period, but I hoped there would be more new entries to be honest.
'Ripples' was such a surprise to me, the opener ('Behind the Lines-Duke's End') and 'Los Endos' were magic as usual, the PG stuff worked pretty well (apart from some confusion in the 'Firth of Fifth' stage, you'll check it out on the DVD...), I love 'Mama' and 'Tonight Tonight Tonight', but in general I still think they could dare do something more.
Just stick to the '80s hits and do not play 5 songs from Invisible Touch, replace them with songs like 'Dance on a Volcano' or 'Mad Man Moon' or 'Misunderstanding', I don't know... bring back some magic!
Phil's voice was stunningly strong (even though they played the songs in lower keys), Tony was Tony as usual (I love him), Mike was standing like a lord in the middle of the stage, Daryl and Chester were ready and part of the band as usual (they should be considered as part of Genesis now, that's my opinion), but if I put myself in an average listener's shoes I'd feel a bit disappointed: are 5 songs from Invisible Touch all that Genesis' magic is all about? I sang them through and through (I was in front of the band, a few steps away from Phil), but that's me, a thorough fan for 21 years, I have a love affair with this band. This doesn't happen to an average listener...
Just opinions, mates! :wink:

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:47 pm

"Nick Davis has already announced to the official Genesis forum that he is going to patch all the mistakes that happened during the show with recordings from Düsseldorf, Lyon or London. He will be particularly busy with Firth Of Fifth…"

So what exactly happened in Firth of Fifth that needs major cleaning up?
Comments?

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

This from the German IT website:
"Nick Davis has already announced to the official Genesis forum that he is going to patch all the mistakes that happened during the show with recordings from Düsseldorf, Lyon or London. He will be particularly busy with Firth Of Fifth…"

Comments?

Timing issues, I'd assume. There's a vid from the show where it just sounds ridiculously screwed up. Its BAD. Tony was very far ahead everyone else and it was just a cluster.

Two Shows Live

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Epping wrote:
This from the German IT website:

Comments?

Timing issues, I'd assume. There's a vid from the show where it just sounds ridiculously screwed up. Its BAD. Tony was very far ahead everyone else and it was just a cluster.

The mistake on FoF was Tony's fault...too fast in comparison with Phil's tempo and never watching Phil ....with Mike trying to catch their attention and blaming with a smile (saying look at me the next time) Phil as soon as the FoF gtr solo began.....Phil smiled apologizing.... I think that the dvd will feature versions from other concerts...I don't know what are they going to do with the encore series of the Rome concert....let's see wha' happens

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 pm

Post Re: RE: Bongo Mans Review
FCUNITED wrote:
He Wrote ....

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:58 am Post subject: Template Review of the Rome gig- for music 'journalists'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For any music journalists out there who are planning on writing a review of the Genesis Rome concert but are annoyed it may cramp your drinking at the gig, feel free to use any or all of my Genesis review template to save time:-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After getting to the gig late, because no-one in Rome seemed to know where the stupid show was when I asked them, or if they could lend me 20 euro for a drink I finally made my way to my seat in what can only be described as an old warehouse. The place was an absolute ruin. I joked to the guy next to me, between swigs of vodka, that this place was so old the Romans probably used it last. Mirthless, these Genesis fans.

Collins looked about 20 years older than when I saw him in concert in 1987, Banks spent pretty much the whole concert sitting down tapping his fingers on some sort of box and Rutherford didn't bother to swing his arm around or smash his guitar at any point in the proceedings.

At some point they played the overblown keyboard heavy prog-rock anthem "I can't dance", which reminded me why punk was formed. I like punk. Why, oh why did punk happen before I was born.

After 2 hours, they still hadn't played any of their big hits that even I knew- like 'In the air tonight', 'Roundabout' or 'Sledgehammer'.

I was told by someone next to me that they hadn't played anything newer than 1992- like, did we all look like hippies or whatever went on back then?

I put on my iPod and listened to 'the Stranglers' for the rest of the concert, I shouldn't have to put up with this.

I didn't want to go to this concert (my so-called friend Brian got to go to see a Ramones cover-band), and I don't like them or their music but that has nothing to do with my 1/10 score for the concert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There- drink to your hearts content...
My Reply

Getting to the concert late was obviously Bad planning, the information on the concert has been on the internet for Months.

It comes of no suprise to any Genesis fan that After 2 hours, they still hadn't played 'In the air tonight', which is a Phil Collins rack, 'Roundabout' which is a Yes track or 'Sledgehammer' which is a Peter Gabriel track.

As to not playing anything Prior to 1992 you obviously don't know when

In The Cage / The Cinema Show / Duke’s Travels / Afterglow
Follow You, Follow Me
Firth of Fifth / I Know What I Like
Carpet Crawlers

were recorded...

I enjoyed this concert very much and the free spirit that let 500,000 fans with no stewarding or policing made it an unforgettable evening in Rome

I strongly suggest that any journalist taking your review as a basis for a report on the concert would be seriously compromising his integrity. :D

Uuuhhh, I think he was being facetious, sarcastic etc. Read between the lines, or behind the lines.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:40 pm

So where exactly do they screw up? I have seen a few recordings on YouTube and can't spot the mistake. :roll:

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:03 pm

So where exactly do they screw up? I have seen a few recordings on YouTube and can't spot the mistake. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNn8EF4EZ1E

Two Shows Live

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:07 pm

I think it's the drumming, actually. A roll too early or too late? I can't hear anything wrong with Tony's arpeggios. :shock:

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next