View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 14-Jul-2007 Circo Massimo, Rome 

Tony kept the song a-rolling, otherwise they'd have been lost.
All of us there felt it and most of all heard it, some of us knew that probably Phil's got some problems (we all know about it, needless to say), we sort of felt sorry for him.
I don't know how they'll manage with such an important song featuring on their DVD... we'll see.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:51 pm

This from the German IT website:
"Nick Davis has already announced to the official Genesis forum that he is going to patch all the mistakes that happened during the show with recordings from Düsseldorf, Lyon or London. He will be particularly busy with Firth Of Fifth…"

So what exactly happened in Firth of Fifth that needs major cleaning up?
Comments?

Oh, I have the answer now, thanks a lot!
I can tell you all the mistake was quite evident, believe me.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Yes guys, it was Phil this time...
Tony kept the song a-rolling, otherwise they'd have been lost.

I'm quoting myself, sorry mates, just to say I felt the problem was in Phil's drumming, but I may be wrong, we all may be wrong, because all the people who were around us immediately thought it was Phil's mistake... :wink:

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Post Re: RE: Bongo Mans Review
squonkman wrote:

Uuuhhh, I think he was being facetious, sarcastic etc. Read between the lines, or behind the lines.

Yes, a lame attempt at humour I'm afraid- I thought the bit about Genesis not playing anything younger than 1992 (ie, the last Phil Genesis album 'We can't Dance' ) would have given it away though...

Always cracks me up how the music press tend to get people who are not only know nothing about Genesis to review their concerts, but indeed are not even people who like prog rock.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:59 am

i'm sorry but it was obviously phil's fault, trying to play more than he should...

he's not bruford for god's sake!! :evil:

anyway.....

the concert was lovely.. though there were 'forgetable songs'...

Hey GM, :wink:

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Bongoman wrote:
squonkman wrote:

Uuuhhh, I think he was being facetious, sarcastic etc. Read between the lines, or behind the lines.

Always cracks me up how the music press tend to get people who are not only know nothing about Genesis to review their concerts, but indeed are not even people who like prog rock.

I agree. It is amazing how little people know about progressive rock, and there is no excuse for a music reviewer to be clueless. It will be even worse in the US, where progressive rock is like a epithet to the mainstream press, and the music reviewers all came from punk backgrounds, and now their safety pin nose piercings are considered conservative.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:52 pm

I've seen three other Genesis concerts before (1982 i Rome, invisible touch tour in Rome, cant dance tour in S. Francisco, CA).

In my humble opinion, the concert was as awesome as the three I have seen before.

It has been 2 hrs 37 minutes of the greatest music ever.
The stage, the 'effects', the backdrop were simply astonishing.
Our five old friends have performed as well as always.
I have seen a mixed age attendance ranging from small children to elder people, all having fun.
Getting to the concert venue and leaving it was as easy as drinking a glass of water (OK, for somebody living in rome must be easier than for foreigners:-) ).

I wonder what else is to be expected from a Genesis concert.

I can't wait to see it on DVD.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:03 pm

squonkman wrote:
Bongoman wrote:
squonkman wrote:

I agree. It is amazing how little people know about progressive rock, and there is no excuse for a music reviewer to be clueless. It will be even worse in the US, where progressive rock is like a epithet to the mainstream press, and the music reviewers all came from punk backgrounds, and now their safety pin nose piercings are considered conservative.

Yet Rush is revered...WTF

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"

http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Danlaw83 wrote:
squonkman wrote:
Bongoman wrote:
squonkman wrote:

Yet Rush is revered...WTF

I don't know if Rush is revered, but they are much more of a AOR arena rock band with some progressive elements rather than a full fledged prog band. Speaking of Rush, I am going to see them tomorrow--its been a while since I have.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:32 pm

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Have fun with that :?

you look confused. Its OK for a Genesis fan to like other bands. They aren't in the same league as Genesis, but not many are. Rush actually puts on a decent show, they play long, and I like watching Neil Peart drum. They had a good run of albums that are solid, and I support anything close to progressive rock when I can. And Rush does play a good chunk of their old stuff (hint hint Genesis). Also, there aren't many bands around that have stayed completely intact uninterrupted for over 30 years with no personnel changes.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:08 pm

They are Canadians too! :wink:

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:56 am

I have to hand it to Rush. They put on a heckuva show. Saw them Friday night, and I could have done without all the songs off the new album, which I really haven't listened to yet, the new songs did sound pretty good for the most part, back to a more progressive sound. They played most of the standards you'd want to hear---Limelight, Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions (hadn't heard that live before I don't think), but the best thing was they played my two favorite songs from I think a very overlooked album, Grace Under Pressure; Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A---very pleasantly surprised at those. And topping that, they played what may be their most progressive suite of songs---the whole Natural Science suite from the Permanent Waves album and then went right into Witch Hunt. Wow.

They sounded tight, and unlike Genesis, I have to say, they have a sense of humor. They had little videos that introduced some of the songs that were funny, including a Bob and Doug McKenzie thing, and their stage props included 3 huge henroasters stocked with chickens roasting away inside, a whole slew of dinosaurs on top of the amps, and various things like Simpsons bobble heads and Barbie Dolls etc. They know how to get the crowd into it and connect, so the show is involving---the crowd stood throughout. Neil Peart certainly gives Phil a run for the money drumming---he is as versatile and no nonsense as they come.

All in all, one of the best Rush concerts I ever saw---kicking myself I missed the 30th anniversary shows.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:40 am

Danlaw83 wrote:
Have fun with that :?

you look confused. Its OK for a Genesis fan to like other bands. They aren't in the same league as Genesis, but not many are. Rush actually puts on a decent show, they play long, and I like watching Neil Peart drum. They had a good run of albums that are solid, and I support anything close to progressive rock when I can. And Rush does play a good chunk of their old stuff (hint hint Genesis). Also, there aren't many bands around that have stayed completely intact uninterrupted for over 30 years with no personnel changes.

I don;t get me wrong, I know you can like other bands....it's called LIFE, and I like a couple of Rush songs, I am just not a big fan...!

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:33 am
Profile YIM WWW

I have to hand it to Rush. They put on a heckuva show. Saw them Friday night, and I could have done without all the songs off the new album, which I really haven't listened to yet, the new songs did sound pretty good for the most part, back to a more progressive sound. They played most of the standards you'd want to hear---Limelight, Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions (hadn't heard that live before I don't think), but the best thing was they played my two favorite songs from I think a very overlooked album, Grace Under Pressure; Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A---very pleasantly surprised at those. And topping that, they played what may be their most progressive suite of songs---the whole Natural Science suite from the Permanent Waves album and then went right into Witch Hunt. Wow.

They sounded tight, and unlike Genesis, I have to say, they have a sense of humor. They had little videos that introduced some of the songs that were funny, including a Bob and Doug McKenzie thing, and their stage props included 3 huge henroasters stocked with chickens roasting away inside, a whole slew of dinosaurs on top of the amps, and various things like Simpsons bobble heads and Barbie Dolls etc. They know how to get the crowd into it and connect, so the show is involving---the crowd stood throughout. Neil Peart certainly gives Phil a run for the money drumming---he is as versatile and no nonsense as they come.

All in all, one of the best Rush concerts I ever saw---kicking myself I missed the 30th anniversary shows.

Seeing them on September 8th, and Rush being my favorite band behind Genesis, I'm real excited.

But get outta here. They played Red Sector A? I haven't seen that in any of the setlists I've seen this tour. As for Distant Early Warning, it's been alternating with Summertime Blues, and I'm really hoping I get DEW. So they play three of my four favorites from GUP (Between the Wheels, DEW, Sector A, excluding Kid Gloves).

I've always considered Neil a better drummer than Phil, only because Neil takes risks and is experimental, and Phil, while he plays really well, doesn't take those same risks (with the possible exception of the stools this year).

Before I get excited for Genesis, this show's been on my mind. Can't wait! Thanks for the review...

Two Shows Live
October 2, United Center, Chicago, IL
October 4, United Center, Chicago, IL

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next