View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 07-Jul-2007 Old Trafford Football Stadium, Manchester 

Just joined the forum to comment on a wonderful evening's performance at Old Trafford.
For me the highlight was 'I know what I like...'. I've never really been a fan of this track but the way it was performed and the video montage in the background made it (for me) the defining moment of the concert. Almost brought a tear to my eye!
Thanks to the band for a brilliant performance, the best sound I've ever heard and the most precise live performance I've ever experienced at a concert. All my younger years of listening to the live lps and watching the concerts on video(!) I never thought they'd be really as good as that, they weren't, they were so much better.
My wife summed them up superbly (and she's not a fan at all) "they were excellent."

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 pm

Post Old Trafford
Hi,
I have been a Genesis fan for 30 years and seen them at Knebworth,NEC.I went to the Old Trafford concert and was sitting in NE Upper tier seats.I was greatly dissapointed with the sound quality that sounded like an old AM radio very echoey.I guess there are always areas of a stadium that suffers.Apart from that it was a great show with Los Endos being the highlight...

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Band were great, the audience were superb. It's easy to nit-pick about the sound, but I've never been to a stadium gig that had perfect sound. My 15th (and last?) Genesis gig, and one of the best. Difficult to pick a highlight, but I thought Ripples was superb, and Los Endos was as good as ever. Like andykeego, the emotion of the occasion got to me - there I was happily singing along to Afterglow, when all of a sudden I got a proverbial lump in my throat, and seconds later my eyes started to fill with tears! :cry: However, by the end of the show I was grinning like a daftie :D

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:17 pm

Post Photos from OT
Second gig on the tour and best, OT turned out to be not a bad venue, good sound where we were. Shame it was so light but not much can be done there, apart from 3 nights at the MEN arena may be!

I've posted some photos http://www.team-skinny-racing.com

Cheers
Warby

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:05 pm

What a brilliant Concert. I've been a fan since 1970 but I've never managed to see them before as I work away a lot. I was worried they might have faded a bit, but no they were great. I thought the sound was Incredibly good, clear as a bell without being deafening. I was disappointed by the selfish behaviour of some of those people around us. I'll have a good time with the best of them, but some people were being a real pain. Smoking cigars, spilling drinks over people in front of them, blocking the view of the kids that were there, and don't get me started on the flatulent sod sitting next to me. (A6 R12 S20) :evil:
Still a brilliant night, not enough oldies for me but then I'd have been happy if they had just done "Trespass , Nursery Cryme, and Foxtrot"
Highlight predictably "I know what I like"
I thought it a nice touch that they included pictures of Peter& Steve in the backdrop slide show. Did anyone else notice Tony seemed to be a bit emotional when Phil did the intro ?
I hope its not their last :lol:

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:12 pm

20 rows back with a superb view and a crowd that was really 'up for it' made for something special.

The set was pretty well balanced with something for everyone but the older stuff won hands down for me.

And yes, I was another one who got watery-eyed when they played Afterglow. :wink:

Who wouldn't?

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:00 pm

If it does end there it's gone full circle for me.

I started at the Palace Theatre in 1975 (Lamb tour) & have seen at least 1 show per tour ever since (except 81 - bl**dy family weddings...)

Who knows though, maybe another trip next year with PG at the helm???

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:14 pm

The place was rocking.. It is called "the theatre of dreams" and on Sat 7/7/07 it certainly was.
My first Genesis gig was 1980 "Duke" and have been to every tour since then.
Favourites..Home by the sea 1+2, Know what I like, Los Endos, Ripples, Afterglow, well all of it really !! Got some great pics inc. complete vid of Can't dance in high res...
Is this their last tour ?? (or collection of shows, as Phil says..)

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:17 pm

I have to agree with all the folk here - an absolutely fab night.

Open air concerts in the summer do suffer a bit with the light - it was almost the longest day of the year when they were at Hampden in Glasgow 20 years ago when it doesny get dark until about 11pm - which perhaps takes the edge off the lighting effects. However, the whole thing was just pure dead brilliant.

Aside from the musicianship the thing that got me was Phill's tambourine routine keeping time with the video clip in the background. Pretty good for a 57 year old! And I don't even think the video clip had been slowed down..

Again, it was the older stuff that really got me - especially in full form rather than the medley versions of previous "recent" tours..

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Post MANCHESTER
WHAT A NIGHT!!!! ALL I CAN SAY IS "ROLL ON ROME"
COULDNT FAULT ANYTHING.
CHEERS TO THE GUY IN THE BEIGE LINEN SUIT WHO WAS TOTALLY IMMERSED IN EVERY SONG - AS I WAS
NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HEAR THAT LOT LIVE AGAIN - VVV EMOTIONAL.... (MY PERSONAL HIGHLIGHT IF I COULD CHOOSE WAS IN THE CAGE) EVEN MY HUSBAND WHO IS A NORTHERN SOUL BUFF AND CLAIMS NOT TO LIKE GENESIS SAID THEY WERE SUPERB.... :D :D :D

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:06 am

Funnily enough mikelq, I also thought that Tony looked like he had a lump in his throat when Phil introduced him at the start. Did they really think that the UK had fallen out with them that much?
Apologies for my ignorance but why did Phil say that The Carpet Crawlers sums up Genesis? I guess there's some answer in an archive somewhere but if someone could just fill me in that would be marvellous!

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:45 am

Forums like this are often homes for the hardcore fans who, like myself tend to like pre-duke stuff the best. (Although Mama and Domino were two of the many highlights for me)

However, I have to admit that my mates and I felt like a bit of a minority,
as to me the crowd seemed to go wild at the onset of Invisible Touch and I can't dance (two dreadful songs).

I was on the 12th row - the real thick of it - but did get this impression the crowd generally liked these tracks more than say Ripples, or Firth of Fifth.

Anyone else notice this?

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:52 pm

Yeah, the majority of the crowd did seem to be there for the hits.

However, this didn't take anything away from the night for me.

In fact it made it better for all those magic moments where the 'hardcore' were on their feet and connecting with each other and creating a truly electric atmosphere.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 pm

Forums like this are often homes for the hardcore fans who, like myself tend to like pre-duke stuff the best. (Although Mama and Domino were two of the many highlights for me)

as to me the crowd seemed to go wild at the onset of Invisible Touch and I can't dance (two dreadful songs).

I was on the 12th row - the real thick of it - but did get this impression the crowd generally liked these tracks more than say Ripples, or Firth of Fifth.

Anyone else notice this?

I would consider myself a hardcore fan and I like pretty much everything the band have ever written. Don't think you need to like pre-Duke to be hradcore.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 am

as to me the crowd seemed to go wild at the onset of Invisible Touch and I can't dance (two dreadful songs)

I would consider myself a hardcore fan and I like pretty much everything the band have ever written. Don't think you need to like pre-Duke to be hradcore.[/quote]

I too consider myself a hard core fan for almost thirty years now and while I admit I lean slightly toward liking the more prog material I genuinly enjoy the so called poppier material . To call Invisible touch and I can`t dance dreadful songs is a bit harsh. You may not like them but they are to my ears among the classiest mainstream songs ever written. Their performance by the band this time round is very enjoyable and brings a light hearted moment to any concert.
I`ts all about personal preference and opinions I suppose and among Genesis fans that is very, very wide .

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next