View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 08-Jul-2007 Twickenham, London 
Site Admin

Post 08-Jul-2007 Twickenham, London
Post reviews / set lists / photos here.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:40 am
Profile WWW

Post It's a tough call..
It's a tough call trying to say something original about a show so tightly drilled and coordinated, that barely an f-word goes un-rehearsed. Yes, it was the same show as every other night, but what a show!!

So, for the squillionth time ... a fine attempt to balance old with new . Having said that, I suspect I wasn't the only impartial observer to see the "Hold-on-My-Heart-as-excellent-bathroom-break-syndrome" from up in the stands. (henceforth to be referred to as "HOMHAEBBS" pronounced "heebs" in polite dinner party conversation). Have other people seen similar "HOMHAEBBS" elsewhere on the tour? I think we should be told.

Aesthetically, I was impressed. I remember seeing the WCD tour shortly after U2s staggering Zoo TV tour, and I thought that in comparison, most of the WCD visuals were so unadventurous considering the budget. This time it's just that little bit artier and, well, rather beautiful to look at. Plus muso-moments like Firth of Fifth cleverly focussed on the band playing. Cue my musician concert-going companion, and many others, whipping out webcammy cameras to nail that Banks solo...

Ah, but of course I wish they'd have done Apocolypse-in-pretty-much-any-time-signature, The Lamb, Dodo etc.. That's what being an anorak is all about... Thankfully I'm old enough to cope with my differing idea of what a perfect setlist would comprise.

I once talked to a favourite singer songwriter of mine (the incomperable Bruce Coc kburn, since you ask) about the syndrome whereby bands/artists disown songs/albums that to you are the last word in truth, beauty and goosebumps.

In the end, you just have to say "They're just the people that wrote, performed and recorded the thing - what do they know?"

Fine advice.

Cheers chaps :-)

Last edited by Musicalfox on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:21 am

I was at Twickenham last night and what I witnessed was a performance of epic proportions. Having been a fan for nearly 20 years, it was the first time I had seen the group perform live and it was simply awesome.

The atmosphere was electric enhanced by the usual audience participation on tracks such as Domino - one of my favourites. Also very impressed with the visuals.

Most importantly perhaps the tracklisting was spot on I feel. The best of the newer tracks were played, but it was great to hear so many old classics, some of which were before my time, but turned out to be great anyway! The old medleys were highlights of the show for me, along with Domino, Mama and Home by the Sea. There were so many highlights though that I can't remember them all!

It was great to see many people my age (25) and even younger really enjoying the music and the show that Genesis put on. They really are the masters of instrumental electronic rock music.

My only small gripe was the time it took to drive away from the stadium area, but this was more or less as expected, and even if it had taken much longer to leave the stadium it couldn't have spoilt what was a very special night.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:31 pm

I was at Twickenham last night ! BRILLIANT GIG , MOST OF THE MUSIC WAS OK, LIKE MOST OF OLDER GENESIS FANS I MISSED THE LIKES OF DANCE ON A VOLCANO/ LOS ENDOS
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER ONCE AGAIN,
Phil /Chester are the best drummers in the businesss, what with Afterglow /drum duet was worth the money to see them play !!
Tony and Mike seem to be enjoy themselves and having fun to I can't dance oncore
I was Disappointed that did not play a number of songs from ..and then there were three, wind and wuthering , A Trick of the Tail and the lamb
you cannot please all the fans I guess , next time please lads !!!!
I know what I like in genesis music .....
I hope we can see them in the near future its your show... its your show....

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:23 pm

Post los endos
They played los endos and it was the best part of the show i thought

All in all a truely magical gig , the best i have ever been to

Cant wait now for my cd to be delivered of the evening

I didnt take a camera but if anybody has any pics of sunday i would love to see them ?

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 pm

i just thought it was a shame they did " Hold on my heart "

I never did like it asnd the way people left the stadium for toilet breaks i take it im not alone !!!

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:52 pm

A most excellent evening - started off with a few beers in the sunshine outside Twickenham’s oldest pub (The Fox), then a short ‘trot’ to the Rugby Tavern to watch the old Genesis videos they had put on there (fabulous) and then, for the next 2 and a half hours and 20 years almost to the day after I had first seen Genesis at the old Wembley on the Invisible touch tour, relived all those memories from the years when we were all much younger and, to paraphrase Phil, ‘had more hair’ (actually I don’t think he had that much hair 20 years ago….)

Personally I thought it was an excellent show, the band really seemed to be enjoying themselves and the setlist, whilst holding no real surprises, at the very least provided a good selection of their material over the years. Personal highlights for me were the powerful ‘Mama’ (one of the better tracks from the later years) followed by the simply beautiful ‘Ripples’ and to finish the show with ‘Carpet Crawlers’ was the icing on the cake…..

Loved the Bar Stool Duet.

Amazingly, despite my advancing years (and my utter dislike of the track), I didn’t even go down with the HOMHAEBBS (lol –see above) – being up in the stadium, it was funny watching how quickly the crowd on the pitch shot off as soon as it started……I’m sure I saw Phil open his eyes at one point during the track to monitor how many of the faithful had suddenly become afflicted……

The Gabriel/post Gabriel arguments will probably rage on for as long as Genesis fans exist ; yes I would have preferred to hear more of the old stuff and less of the new, and I did, for one fleeting moment, imagine Peter and Steve H making a surprise appearance for Suppers Ready at the end (ah, well, back to the world of dreams….).

However, it’s not often that you get a chance to re-experience great moments in a life time, and for me, it was a real privilege to hear, for one more time, the band which has been such a huge part of my musical upbringing.

Note to ccc1982 – really encouraging to hear that you and people of a similar age to your good self enjoyed the show – just goes to prove that music doesn’t have to have age boundaries….

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Post Twickenham sound quality
I don't want to take anything away from the Band, rather I want to register my disppointment with the sound quality at Twickenham. Last Sunday we had seats at the front of the upper tier of the North stand and I thought there was something wrong from the very start. Perhaps being so high and close to the roof made a difference but a lot of the unique quality in their music was lost. No Genesis fan wants to go to a concert just to hear a loud booming noise!.

The set was terrific and we had a a panoramic view of that.

Last time I went to a concert at Twickenham it was the Stones, a couple of years ago, and we were lucky to get seats 'on the pitch'. There was no problem with sound and so my lesson and recommendation is that if you go to Twickenham, avoid the seats high up, and if you can afford them (and get the chance) go for the pitch - and ignore any rain!

Having said all that I do wonder whether Twickers is really a good venue for a concert. Lots of vacant space on the pitch, and empty seats (Corporate?), does make building up an atmosphere hard work.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:58 pm

I agree with comments on Hold on my heart - it is the only Genesis song that I find bland and it could easily have been swapped for a more exciting track of similar length such as Abacab - a surprise omission. Though of course its impossible to please everyone at least not without a 6 hour show!

From my seat high up at the back I also noticed people leave en mass during Hold on my heart! I actually thought the seats we had though were the best in the house. Completely unobstructed view when sat down, a panoramic view of the whole stadium, crowd, set, lighting, fireworks etc and I thought the sound was great as well. With help from the video screens we could also effectively see the band up close too, so I would recommend sitting at the back all in all - but each to their own!

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:22 pm

Post Re: Twickenham sound quality
cjlt wrote:
I don't want to take anything away from the Band, rather I want to register my disppointment with the sound quality at Twickenham. Last Sunday we had seats at the front of the upper tier of the North stand and I thought there was something wrong from the very start. Perhaps being so high and close to the roof made a difference but a lot of the unique quality in their music was lost. No Genesis fan wants to go to a concert just to hear a loud booming noise!.

The set was terrific and we had a a panoramic view of that.

Last time I went to a concert at Twickenham it was the Stones, a couple of years ago, and we were lucky to get seats 'on the pitch'. There was no problem with sound and so my lesson and recommendation is that if you go to Twickenham, avoid the seats high up, and if you can afford them (and get the chance) go for the pitch - and ignore any rain!

Having said all that I do wonder whether Twickers is really a good venue for a concert. Lots of vacant space on the pitch, and empty seats (Corporate?), does make building up an atmosphere hard work.

I think the sound problem was just due to the high winds on sunday and not much that could be done about that.

Being a sound engineer in an outdoor gig must be a night mare i think so i think it was the best that couldve been ! lets take nothing away from these guys > possibly 5 of the best musicians/song writers in the world in my opinion

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:59 am

I'm just listening to the Twickenham show highlights as broadcast on Radio 2 on Saturday and reading the postings on the forum at the same time. I now find I've obviously been in denial for the last week as I've been on a high since the concert and only now with the reminder of the music and seeing the posts are realising that I may well have seen the guys for the last time, this did cause a certain amount of dampness in the eyes whilst listening to Los Endos or it may have been the music alone had that effect on me.

However, my fellow fanatics, have some hope. After the We Can't Dance tour they came back and did more gigs in smaller venues in the Autumn, maybe just maybe they were waiting to see the reponse of the fan base in this country to the Stadium Gigs before deciding on this!

If they do tour inside in the Autumn I hope for a couple of nights at the millenium dome apparantly the sound quality is A1, not that it was bad where we were at Twickenham. I have some photos taken at the gig is there any way to post them on the forum?

Keep the faith guys they might be back!

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:24 pm

After seeing Poland and Dusseldorf, this was noticeably looser, especially on the drum duet and Los Endos. They even seemed to have picked up the tempo on things like Behind the Lines, another improvement. I'd have to say Dusseldorf was the best, though, as it was indoors.

I noticed the "let's take a bathroom break" on Hold On My Heart at each of the shows, though Poland it was too wet and cold to really move, so less so there. And to think they want to add "In Too Deep" in the US! What are they thinking?! (It's the US, guys. Abacab stuff is what a lot of people will expect.)

Anyhow, a really well-performed, well-balanced show. Definitely missed the lights with all the daylight, and thought the Varlights were really not utilized well. Visuals were hit and miss - sometimes tired and cliched (using "The Scream" during Home by the Sea, or the towers of fire during Second Home,) and sometimes creative (the colorful ICD effects, the I Know What I Like old shots, and the Follow You Follow Me old logo stuff.) I think they could definitely tweak the show visually for the indoor US shows. Get those lights going on In the Cage and Los Endos! (My guess is they will leave it the same, though.... :(

Sound was great from where I stood (Center Pitch A Section), but any stadium will sound bad from other spots. I had an amazing bass pedal rumble on quite a few tunes that blew me away. A little more recognition of Ripples and I Know What I Like in London, as I expected. Europe seemed much more focused on late 80s stuff, audience-wise.

One interesting note was that, unlike Germany and Poland, the Brits booed the other sections during the Domino cheering intro. I thought that was a little funny.

Looking forward to some more great shows. If Genesis are reading this, please for the love of God, drop a couple of the FIVE Invisible Touch tunes and give us a juicy surprise from the past. And get some killer Varilights too.

Cheers

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:07 pm

Scoot > I must say I agree with some of the points you bring up: I agree that the animations / screen videos for Home By The Sea were a bit disappointing, they could have done better there than using the same old videos. I did think, however, when I saw the show from Düsseldorf, that the thing with the red fire in the towers looked pretty impressing. Being right next to the stage in Herning, I could not actually see this! I also think the lights for Home By The Sea could have been better - watching the good ol' Mama Tour vide, where they used the varilights with amazing effect, proved that the new setting was a bit too static. I always loved the idea of the green light pillars moving around on the smoky stage sort of representing the ghosts of the lyrics.

I also thing the light use during In The Cage was a bit dissapointing. Again, watching the TSL and Mama tour video they really used the lights to the very best during the "Outside the cage, I see my brother John" climax. In the current setting, there are hardly any lights on Phil when this happens - they could have turned on the spots in bright white along the entire front of the stage and then make them all swing to Phil like they used to do - that always completely "Wow"ed me!

Funny thing about the booing during Domino introduction, btw. I heard this on the Twickenham recording and was really puzzled. Talking about Domino, I do think they used the stage and lighting for the very best at that particular part of the show - the new movie was really atmospheric, and the spotlights from the mast in the ending is really impressive. Again, this could not be appreciated when standing very close to the stage, but it looked amazing in Düsseldorf.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:02 pm

It was banter. "Our sides better than your side"

Nothing to do with the band. We were just playing up for Phil!

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:12 pm

Post Banter.....
Exactly it was BANTER, no more than that - the very same thing happened at Old Trafford - the west stand were booing the east stand and Phil even commented "ah interesting" - probably a tip of the head to home and away at the football grounds.

Andrew

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next