View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 07-Sep-2007 BMO Field, Toronto ON 
Site Admin

Post 07-Sep-2007 BMO Field, Toronto ON
Post reviews / set lists / photos here.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:04 am
Profile WWW

Standard setlist was played :) (No pop additions and prog subtractions yet)

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:40 pm

The concert was excellent; it has been 25 years since I last saw Genesis and can honestly say the band does not seem to have lost anything. The set list was the same so I won’t go into any details about that.
I was worried that the outdoor show at the new BMO field was going to be rained out, the forecast called for rain and scattered thundershowers. Well I guess the Gods were smiling on us and the skies cleared up hours before the show started and a warm wind filled the air.
The band took the stage at 9:00PM (well past sunset :) ) to thunderous cheers and applause and delivered 100%. They were obviously well rested and in high spirits reminiscing about past shows in Toronto at Massey Hall.
For me the highlight was I Know What I like and the audience was in good form singing along :D .
The sound was surprisingly excellent. The new field is medium size with low stands and no roof to cause any echo. Anyone in the Toronto area who has attended a concert at the SkyDome knows what I am talking about.
Well I am thrilled that the encore series is being offered for N.A. and I have already ordered mine!

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:03 pm

as a younger lad this was my first Genesis concert. No stormage though it was crappy out right before the show, first concert in an outdoor stadium in Toronto since Exhibition Stadium was torn down, so that was a treat. The new soccer stadium was perfect for this concert. Crowd was great minus the boring folk beside me who seemed to be dead but somehow alive during and only Invisible Touch (oh lord...).
Set list was a wicked mix of all the eras which was surprising, but what was no surprise was the medleys of songs not played in full which after 15 years they somehow think the fans love, instead of playing the songs in full.
They sounded real tight, as the days prior they did rehearsals at the ACC for the arena tour, this was the 2nd last show using the stadium stage.

Opening with Behind the Lines was *beep* wicked, it was so loud, and everything sounded great with even the initial mix. The screens were so bright like everything was totally white and freaking me out.
However negative comments of the medleys aside, the In The Cage one and i mean for the band using 2007 thin sounding equipment and tony playing two little child keyboards, they sounded *beep* great. And still having the lights go on Phil at the buildup was phenominal but not very convincing.
Home By The Sea smoked bigtime, during Hold On My Heart i left my seats beside the people who did not like my rocking out, and snuck up 4 sections closer which was just a joy, and ended up in a row of no one smoking my face off.
Mama was mesmerizing.
Just doing the Firth of Fifth solo is the biggest tease and let down ever if they ever tour again they really need to spot with the medleys and quarter songs.
Home by The Sea was awesome. Ripples was mind blowing, great video effects during this song. Very beautiful tune. When i snuck up my new lovely seats some old guy did the same thing and parked beside me just to watch Ripples and went on and on about it being his song of a lifetime then he mysteriously left.

The only thing that truly was disspointing, was the use of their equipment. Tony's keyboard sound, sounded like it was being played on a kids Casio, and the guitars were very very thin. And using only two setups, clearly all the effects were digitally compressed or from some computer, not the actual instrument. Obviously it would be hell to bring out all the analog gear, but even so they could have used some of the 1980's even 90's digital gear. To get the right sounds right, not for nostalgia. Whatever they used made all the songs they played sound a lot thinner, minus the drums. but also i cant play *beep* compared to them so what do i know.....

but however a great concert, great atmosphere and weather too bad no one filmed it with a real video camera. ill see them in 2012 when they tour next!

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]