View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 02-Oct-2007 United Center, Chicago IL 

AeroZach wrote:
squonkman wrote:
has anyone heard of a Genesis meeting spot at a pub or bar, maybe from the official forum? there isn't much right near the United Center so I don't know of an obvious place. If you do know, post it in these Chicago threads

My meeting spot? The bathroom during "Hold On My Heart." :lol:

In all seriousness, there ain't much around the UC, so I really couldn't direct you to a certain location honestly...

dude, I don't think you are old enough to get into the places I was thinking of are you?

No matter what, I am going to enjoy a nice big stuffed Giordano's or Gino's pizza when I am up there.........

I know I couldn't get in them, I never said they were places I'd try to get into either, since I'm not legal age, but I've been around there enough to tell you that there isn't anything special. But it's been awhile, so don't necessarily trust my judgement on this one...

As for Giordano's, you have some damn good taste, my friend! 8) I could use a Giordano's deep dish myself right about now.

Two Shows Live
October 2, United Center, Chicago, IL
October 4, United Center, Chicago, IL

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:43 am

I could easily live off off Chicago style stuffed pizza for the rest of my life if I had to. Not the best for the waistline, but.......

pizza in St Louis is this thin crapola stuff that tastes like cardboard

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:04 am

I could easily live off off Chicago style stuffed pizza for the rest of my life if I had to. Not the best for the waistline, but.......

pizza in St Louis is this thin crapola stuff that tastes like cardboard

I've lived off it all my life. Ever have Home Run Inn? Next best thing. My alltime favorite is Obbie's, it's from my old neighborhood around Midway when I lived in Chicago. THAT'S a good pizza. As a matter of fact since I'm going through the area anyway, I might pick up an Obbie's pizza with my dad.

I suggest eating big before getting to the venue, which it seems you plan on doing, since United Center food is awful. They now serve Ricobene's for pretty much everything, and Ricobene's is a DUMP. So naturally that reflects on the food. That's why I know to get a huge sausage pizza at Obbie's for the ride there 8)

Two Shows Live

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:11 am

Just a half hour away and I'm off to the United Center! My first of two shows this week, and my first ever Genesis show as a whole!

So, I'm really excited! I'll have a review, hopefully tomorrow, if I'm not too busy with the Cubs, or playoff baseball in general 8)

Two Shows Live

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:30 pm

March 12, 2007 wasn't a very good day for me. My girlfriend of the time broke up with me that day and to be honest, there wasn't much that could take me out of that funk. Or so I thought...

Later that evening, my dad informs me he purchased tickets to Genesis for the show in Chicago on October 2. Now, I had watched this reunion closely since the press conference held in November 2006 but had NO idea a North American tour was even happening, let alone tickets actually being on sale. So it was a nice surprise, and to this day I'm still thankful there was internet access at the Oasis he stopped in.

Anywho, seven months later, and the outrageous anticipation for this show to actually come, it finally came around last night. Now, I'd been counting the days since the Rush concert, which was a month ago, and the days to the show actually came rather quickly, since Rush still feels like it only happened a couple days ago. So it's been an odd month, but nevertheless very much worth it.

So on the day of the show, yes, I had to go to school. It was a shortened day, but damned if it didn't feel like a full one. I came home, went on my computer for a little, took a nap on my couch (didn't get much sleep the previous night) so I wouldn't be tired during the show. Got a Cubs Division Champions T-Shirt from my uncle during the whole thing, and before you know it, dad and I were on the way to the United Center.

On this sunny, 79 degree October evening (which, mind you, is NOT October weather), we stopped at the bank, and proceeded to have dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, a place everyone in Chicago and probably Illinois should know of, Portillo's. Nice way to celebrate the occasion.

So, we finish that, and rain clouds come over us. Aside from that the rest of the ride was smooth, and minus some minor parking issues, we got a nice spot and easily walked into Gate 3 of the United Center around 6:35 p.m, where some crazy guy was either selling or just boasting about having Genesis stage guitarist Daryl Steurmer's album. And we managed to beat the rain.

We walked around the concourse which was considerably empty considering how many people actually waited at the gates. I bought a shirt, and it's possibly the coolest concert shirt I've ever purchased, featuring the Genesis album covers (minus Abacab, Tresspass, Wind & Wuthering) in a very cool collage. After I picked up a water and my dad got a beer, we hit our seats, and essentially waited there for an hour before the show started. Saw some colorful characters, such as the 50+ audience who tried to relive the "glory days" by dressing like they were 20. Me, I'm 16, and it ain't pretty seeing a 55 year old woman showing off her push-up bra, if you know what I mean.

The lights went down at 8:20, and the map of the world came up on the screen, zooming in on Chicago thus making everyone in the sold out United Center crowd go nuts. Then, after a countdown, the show I'd waited seven months for began with the opening chords of "Behind The Lines". I'll tell ya, already I was watching Phil Collins' drumming and man, if you think he sucks or is overrated, think again. He was smokin' from the start. This instrumental interestingly closed with "Duke's End".

We move on to "Turn It On Again" where our frontman stepped out from behind his set, did the countdown to the song and kicked it off. It was a nice start to the show, the band was hot and Phil's vocal was very good. Also an appropriate start, considering this is the "Turn It On Again World Tour". After a short stage rap, the band broke into "No Son of Mine", and shortly after the classic almost everyone has heard, "Land of Confusion", both seemed to work very well with the crowd, including myself.

Now, one thing I did notice is, this crowd was very different from all the shows I've attended. From the opening chords, mostly everyone in my section sat down, but clapped and sang to every lyric anyway. So it was kind of bizarre but I went along with it, and after awhile got used to it.

Phil then began speaking to the audience about playing some "old" songs, and how the audience was probably filled with some old people, including himself. In a nice special twist, Phil said "Speaking of old people, we have a birthday today" pointing at guitarist Mike Rutherford, thus inspiring everyone to sing "Happy Birthday" to him. He seemed flattered, as a big smile crossed his face as he bowed towards the crowd. Phil returned to his old people rap as he jokingly stated "And yes, I used to have hair, too!" After that crack and audience laughter that followed, they moved on to the next song. This song happened to be one of the highlights of the evening, and that was "In the Cage".

I'd seen youtube videos and heard audio of this song, but clearly after seeing it live those did not do the song justice. Very energetic performance by the band, and Tony Banks' keyboard solo was spot on as usual. Even toned down it added a darker mood to the song, which to me worked very well.

After "Cage" we then moved into a medley of instrumentals. Hell, it ain't called the "Cage Medley" for nothing. "The Cinema Show" was the first instrumental we would hear, and while in the past it was never a song I gave much of a chance, it was incredible in a live setting, with the lighting and quality musicianship of everyone in the band. After that we moved on to "Duke's Travels", which was very cool for what we got out of it, but that would medley into "Afterglow", which is a very beautiful song and worked well live, however transitioned awkwardly from "Travels".

Up next was "Hold On My Heart," which since day one of the tour I knew was gonna be when I headed to the bathroom. It was funny, first seeing everyone in the arena bail during the song, and then the bathroom go from only two people when I walked into to being nearly over-capacity. Two friends were joking, one asked "What's this song called?" with the other replying "'The Bathroom Break'". I managed to get back to my seat before the song ended. It's just a song that, to me, doesn't belong in the set of a Genesis concert.

We then got another rap from Phil, about scary people living in a scary house, and it was quite funny. It was cool having everyone do the "whoooo" part, and then him saying "It's funny you should do that, since we have a song about scary things", which left the audience very much in laughter. Well, the rap was to be followed by "Home By the Sea", which was another personal highlight of my evening and seemed to be a crowd favorite. "Second Home By the Sea" came shortly after, and was followed by "Follow You, Follow Me" which featured a very nice video of all the album covers and figures interacting with each other.

Next came another old song, "Firth of Fifth", which my section of the crowd clearly didn't know. Nevertheless, I don't understand why Steurmer gets a bad rap for not "perfecting" Steve Hackett's guitar work, such as "Firth", but to me he pulled it off very well. That medleyed into "I Know What I Like," which had everyone singing and also featured probably the coolest background on the video screens, with pictures of the past with the band and even some video. Phil even did his "Tarantella" dance, which is his famous tamborine act. Interestingly enough, the video in the back was Phil, 31 years ago on the "In Concert" DVD, with long hair and a beard, doing that same dance, nearly in synch with what Phil was doing that same time. The whole thing appeared to be a crowd favorite, and proved to be another highlight for me.

Now halfway through the show, we moved on to "Mama", which was obviously Phil's most challenging vocal, and surprisingly handled it VERY well. The song was intense, just like it is on record, and was actually better live, as it was tuned down to a lower key, was MUCH more haunting. That's how a song like "Mama" is supposed to be.

Phil then (jokingly) apologized for the "digusting, slutty smut" on the back video screen and saying how they will never play the song again. "Well, maybe we will tomorrow" said Phil, which got a good laugh out of the crowd. Then he said how we would move on from that, to a beautiful place where the bluegirls go. Some audience members knew what the song was, which was "Ripples", but after Phil sang "Bluegirls come in every size", the place erupted. I was glad to be a part of those cheers, and this was a very special moment in the show for me as this is one of those older Genesis gems you'd never expect to hear at a modern Genesis gig. The place sang along happily throughout the chorus and was clearly the highlight of the evening for me. Even dad looked at me and said "Yep, this is one of my alltime favorite Genesis songs". Beautiful moment in the show.

"Throwing It All Away" was next, which I never cared for on record, but got the crowd involved and worked very well in a live setting. The "dee-da-day-a" part was also fun to do live. After that came Phil's popular "Domino Principle" rap, which was rather annoying on video or audio, but outrageously fun during a show. It was also funny booing the other sections of the arena when Phil called on them. Everyone also laughed when he did something reminiscent of "Home By the Sea", having everyone say "Domino!" and proceed to say "It's funny you should say 'Domino' because, we have a song called 'Domino'. Imagine that!"

Next was, you guessed it, "Domino". The "In the Glow of the Night" protion was somewhat boring, and I've always felt that way, but then when "The Last Domino" part kicked in everyone woke up again and jammed through it. Personally, all of "Last Domino" was my favorite song of the night behind "Ripples". Clearly this part of the song works much better when you're actually there, and was very fun to watch in concert.

Next was the "Drum Duet", which started off on friggin' BAR STOOLS! How cool is that? Very impressive work by Phil and show drummer Chester Thompson. After a few minutes jamming on the stools, they slowly moved on to their drum sets, and accompanied by some outstanding lighting the crowd went wild, before they broke into the best instrumental of the evening and third favorite song of the evening for me, "Los Endos".

There isn't much you can say about "Los Endos" that you probably didn't already know. Six and a half minutes of outrageously tight musicianship, fabulous drum work, and reprising "Dance On A Volcano" and "Squonk" from the 1976 classic A Trick of the Tail, which just so happens to be my favorite Genesis album. Just a wonderful display by the band as they seemed to be very much into the performance.

After this we moved on into "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", which had the entire arena singing along. That medleyed into "Invisible Touch", which I HATE on record, but is very cool live, especially when Phil has everyone do the "Yeah!" part of the song. The pyrotechnics at the end were also incredible, and unexpected at a Genesis concert.

The encore was "I Can't Dance" which was fun live. The videos of the "walking" guys in the background were also very cool. Not much else to say to this one, minus the fact that Phil added the humor and did his "dance" at the end of the song.

Phil took a moment to introduce Daryl Steurmer and Chester Thompson for their contributions to the show, and thanked everyone for the support as they were going to do one last song, which is "a very special song" to them, and Phil requested people who knew it to sing along.

"Carpet Crawlers" was that song. Very special song, with my dad and I belting out the lyrics through the entire chorus, each time the chorus came on. Its a shame people were leaving as they really missed out on a wonderful closing song. Even the woman who SCREAMED they were playing the song and was DANCING to a song you shouldn't dance to left during it. It was a beautiful moment, and my final highlight of the evening. The band took a final bow with all five, and then the three big names, Phil Collins, birthday boy Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks took a final bow.

So we took the sleepy ride back home in heavy rain from United Center to the small city of Lockport, listening to the Loop play some Genesis for half the ride, and nothing but lame selections from other stations the rest of the ride.

One hell of a show. Matches up there with Rush as the greatest show I've ever seen. Different kind of show, no doubt, but nevertheless special. Not a single flaw in production or the music itself, and the sold out crowd made the experience all the better. Definitely an experience I will never forget. Thanks to my dad for the tickets and all the people who supported me during the wait. And thanks to Genesis for giving me the chance to see you guys at least once in my life.

---Setlist---

Behind the Lines / Duke's End
Turn It On Again
No Son of Mine
Land of Confusion
In the Cage / The Cinema Show / Duke's Travels
Afterglow
Home By the Sea
Second Home By the Sea
Follow You, Follow Me
Firth of Fifth
I Know What I Like
Mama
Ripples
Throwing It All Away
Domino
Drum Duet
Los Endos
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Invisible Touch

---Encore---

I Can't Dance
The Carpet Crawlers

Two Shows Live

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 pm

nice review Aerozach, I will be adding my thoughts on all 3 Chicago shows in a bit....exhausted after driving back late after show 3 back to St Louis

Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 pm

So when are we going to see those Chicago reviews squonkman... huh?

By the AeroZach, that was an excellent review you gave here. Nice details...helped me recall what happened in concert with certain songs. Very cool. 8)

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:35 am

So when are we going to see those Chicago reviews squonkman... huh?

By the AeroZach, that was an excellent review you gave here. Nice details...helped me recall what happened in concert with certain songs. Very cool. 8)

Eh, Squonkman's probably busy and hasn't gotten around to it, is all. That's my guess.

As for me, thank you very much, I really appreciate that!

Two Shows Live

Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2