View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 29-Sep-2007 Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland OH 
Site Admin

Post 29-Sep-2007 Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland OH
29-Sep-2007 Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland OH

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 am
Profile WWW

I'll be attending the Cleveland gig. I'll let you know if there's any surprises in the set. It'll be my bad luck - the debut of In Too Deep will happen here. Cleveland is such a hard luck town when it comes to winning championships with their sports teams. Wouldn't surprise me for a Genesis concert as well.... :lol:

Crossing my fingers that Ripples stays in the set...

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:45 pm

I'll be attending the Cleveland gig. I'll let you know if there's any surprises in the set. It'll be my bad luck - the debut of In Too Deep will happen here. Cleveland is such a hard luck town when it comes to winning championships with their sports teams. Wouldn't surprise me for a Genesis concert as well.... :lol:

Crossing my fingers that Ripples stays in the set...

Hey, the Indians are going to the playoffs, am I right? 8) They're my World Series pick!

In seriousness, if they didn't debut "In Too Deep" at one of the Philly shows chances are you have nothing to worry about. Plus, "Ripples" is getting a LOT of fan support even here in the States, surprisingly. I think you'll be alright :)

Two Shows Live
October 2, United Center, Chicago, IL
October 4, United Center, Chicago, IL

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:08 pm

I heard from a reliable source that they are taking out the Cage medley, Ripples and Los Endos and replacing them with In Too Deep, Jesus He Knows Me and That's All just for the Cleveland gig. Apparantly marketing testing shows that those songs all did very well in the Cleveland market. Enjoy the show!

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:45 pm

at least they are mixing up the setlist this tour...kind of..weird choice of songs...but I'm happy just to see them no matter what they play!

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Hey, the Indians are going to the playoffs, am I right? 8) They're my World Series pick!

I'd like to see them win it all, but it would not surprise me if the Yankees or Boston gives them trouble. I still have bad memories of the 2005 season (such a waste of good pitching).

squonkman wrote:
heard from a reliable source that they are taking out the Cage medley, Ripples and Los Endos and replacing them with In Too Deep, Jesus He Knows Me and That's All just for the Cleveland gig. Apparantly marketing testing shows that those songs all did very well in the Cleveland market. Enjoy the show!

I hear they might pull a "Club Genesis" in the middle of the show. The disco ball will drop down, female dancers with sequined miniskirt outfits will burst onto the stage, and the band really sinks their teeth into these 12" classics of I Can't Dance, Invisible Touch, and finally, Land of Confusion. I think that will stop all this talk about that silly In the Cage medley once and for all. Because nothing could top "Club Genesis"...I mean nothing :mrgreen: Right...?

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:22 am

squonkman wrote:
heard from a reliable source that they are taking out the Cage medley, Ripples and Los Endos and replacing them with In Too Deep, Jesus He Knows Me and That's All just for the Cleveland gig. Apparantly marketing testing shows that those songs all did very well in the Cleveland market. Enjoy the show!

I hear they might pull a "Club Genesis" in the middle of the show. The disco ball will drop down, female dancers with sequined miniskirt outfits will burst onto the stage, and the band really sinks their teeth into these 12" classics of I Can't Dance, Invisible Touch, and finally, Land of Confusion. I think that will stop all this talk about that silly In the Cage medley once and for all. Because nothing could top "Club Genesis"...I mean nothing :mrgreen: Right...?

:lol:

Please, guys, you're killing me. :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:30 am

here is your disco ball I saw and photographed at the show artsiistra..

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa47 ... IS0011.jpg

unfortunately(?) it did not drop down and nobody busted a groove to those songs...

this show was probably the most memoury filled for me, enough to last me a very very very long time...much better than columbus...and for many different reasons...

but the main reason is...well..I won't spoil it, see for yourself in the pictures...

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa47 ... 7/?start=0

if that doesn't work, then try the main page..

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa47/jroutzohn/ (then the folder that mentions obviously the 29th of September)

:shock:

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:16 pm

here is your disco ball I saw and photographed at the show artsiistra..

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa47 ... IS0011.jpg

unfortunately(?) it did not drop down and nobody busted a groove to those songs...

this show was probably the most memoury filled for me, enough to last me a very very very long time...much better than columbus...and for many different reasons...

but the main reason is...well..I won't spoil it, see for yourself in the pictures...

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa47 ... 7/?start=0

if that doesn't work, then try the main page..

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa47/jroutzohn/ (then the folder that mentions obviously the 29th of September)

:shock:

how did you get backstage to meet the band?

And I was at the Columbus show and it rocked. Are you saying the Cleveland show was better because of your backstage experience, or it was a better played show for some reason? If so, how and why?

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:21 pm

I was up close to the front of the stage last time in columbus and I suffered from the typical "too-close-to-the-action" syndrome...I have always heard shows from up really close to the stage do not sound near as good as a set towards the back and middle of crowd...and I was just really blown away with sitting farther back and actually seeing the ambience of the lights and actually feeling the bass pedals this time! I am not complaining about sitting up close, by no means! But it truly was a spectacular experience getting to watch them from probably stage right floor middle of the venue...

as far meeting the band..a long story short, a very very generous friend of my father and mine, was kind enough to let us meet and greet after the show...which made it even more memourable..

the whole process of having to give up my own ticket up in the club level, running outside and back to the hotel in 5 minutes only to find my father not there, and then back to the front of the venue where he was with our friend was just mindblowing...I thought I wasn't going to get back in the show...

it was a very surreal evening nonetheless, and I was very thankful of our friend, and the band to even take the time to talk...a shame Phil was in a seperate room, but life goes on..

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:29 pm

somewhat hard to explain though, seeing as the shows both were very similar, Columbus had some show highlights to me, and so did Cleveland...

a shame one can't have the money to travel all over the world and see these guys as many times as possible like so many I have met!

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:35 pm

what row and section were you in Columbus? I was in row V, dead center (about 20th row). I did think the sound wasn't quite as loud as I would have expected, and it is true that the closer to the stage you get, the sound from the main speakers blasts out behind you, but it was nice and clear, very good sound. I have seats for Chicago both on the floor one night and halfway back on the right but low the other night, so I will get to hear and see 2 different perspectives. I didn't hear the deep deep bass pedals I am used to in Columbus, but I thought it might have been that they have toned down the volume for everything due to Phil's hearing issues......

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:50 am

Time for me to pipe in! Ahh...what can I say...it was a damn good show!
I don't think it was a show for the ages, but it was for me. My first, and hopefully one more :wink:

The set list was the same as what hilly posted for Washington D.C. I thought Behind the Lines started instead of Duke's Travels and Duchess (or something Duke-ish) took Cinema Show's spot for the In the Cage medley, BUT I'm not knowledgeable and confident enough to say such things...so I'll say the set list remained the same!

The volume was kinda tame to start with...but by No Son of Mine...the volume got boosted. Mama, Domino, and In the Cage were decently loud...as was Home by the Sea. It changed depending on the song I guess. I thought Mike Rutherford was having a blast toward the end of Domino. He headed over near Tony Bank's keyboards and just strummed away hard at that red guitar of his. My favorite track! I noticed early on that Phil adjusted his voice a step lower, but I got used to it as the set passed on. I take back what I said about Hold on my Heart. It is needed after that In the Cage medley. That was so intense.. the rhythym was relentless as the song progressed along...the band needed a break after that piece of work! I loved the robot video (Running man?) that went with it. The video screen was cool, but the curtain behind it...I thought it would do the flickering lights, but was basically a backdrop for the colored lights to bathe over... I liked it, but it took a while to see it get used.

I was seated in the upper deck, Darryl's side...Sec. 225 Row 3. The 3-4 seats in front of us were empty the whole night...$300-400 wasted IMO...but a great view for us! The place was stated sold out in the papers and it showed when I got there...no empty sections save for those at stage line back.

My favorite songs of this show:

No Son of Mine ( first sign of loud sound, with clean performance)
In the Cage medley ( so intense)
Home by the Sea through until Los Endos ...I was fixated...that was where I drifted along to the melody of the show. Even Throwing it All Away was great for me (yeah, call me a rookie :wink: )

I went along with I Can't Dance (although not a track I frequent) and mellowed out to Carpet Crawlers.......took my energy down to a more melancholy pace...knowing it could possibly be the last time :cry: and cheered as they did their Beatles-like curtain bows to their fans. True artists of their craft. I have to toast my double shot of gin to them, what a performance (as I'm writing this)

Drum duet was different...they did some odd sounds in the first part, then started jamming away at the drums for the rest. I can't say it's my favorite drumduet, but it was different! I'll give them that.

Ripples was special, thank you Genesis for playing it. Phil was a little whatever with the vocals. But the emotion is so strong that you tend to forget whatever shortcomings appeared with that song.

Firth of Firth..what an awesome guitar solo...then leading into a video tribute of old school Genesis (I Know What I Like)...I felt goosebumps seeing that happen live on the video screen. It kind of pulls together what Genesis was about and how they evolved.

Mama was spot on. You forget about Phil's voacals...he let'sit all hang out in that song...I like all the nuances to that song...a definite trump card to their hand...so to speak...

The only questionable performance...Hold on My Heart ... I think he clipped his vocals two times during that song...(like serious fans care, but...) :roll:

I'm debating on ordering for the bootleg of Cleveland's gig and definitely getting Rome's gig for my Christmas present.

I was disappointed with the souvenir prices...$40-$45 for a lousy t-shirt...WTF...I've decided to invest my money in Chapter and Verse book by Genesis (which I skimmed over, a great read) and whatever is left for the '80's individual new releases. With this tour, the souvenirs have officially gotten out of my reach. I don't mind shelling out $100 for a possibly once in my lifetime gig, but the souvenir's prices are a joke anymore. Invest in the music is all I have to say!!!

Regardless, a band worth seeing. You don't know rock music until you've seen Genesis :!:

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:03 am

Time for me to pipe in! Ahh...what can I say...it was a damn good show!
I don't think it was a show for the ages, but it was for me. My first, and hopefully one more :wink:

The set list was the same as what hilly posted for Washington D.C. I thought Behind the Lines started instead of Duke's Travels and Duchess (or something Duke-ish) took Cinema Show's spot for the In the Cage medley, BUT I'm not knowledgeable and confident enough to say such things...so I'll say the set list remained the same!

They haven't changed the setlist yet on the tour. Hilly actually posted the wrong setlist. It starts with Behind the Lines intro which segues into Duke's End, and then TIOA. The Cage medley is Cage/Cinema Show/Duke's Travels/Afterglow. They don't play Duchess.

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:11 am

if memoury serves me right, since I bought my tickets when they first went on sale/off of the ticketmaster auctions they have ($240 a piece), I was sitting in Section Floor Three (Stage Right) Row F (Only 4 rows back from the stage, not 5), seats 3 and 4...they were beautiful photograph seats, especially when one of the people not too into the band in front of us sat down most of the show..but thanks to the security for scaring me, my camera remained in the care of a waitress that night...and also back to the issue of sound, you are right about Columbus seeming less..loud..I thought maybe my hearing loss from being a drummer and seeing many shows unprotected (without the little foam plugs) that I was finally losing my hearing..it runs in my family, so...but the bass pedals I will just say that they probably aren't powerful to the front of the crowd, but mostly for the back and side...when I seen Phil Collins in 2004, 'In the Air Tonight' definitelly utilized the bass pedals very efficiently and you could FEEL THEM!!

artsiistra, I agree with you, the literal drum duet did seem different! I have only seen one other show off this tour, but you seem to be onto something! I think I actually heard Phil do some chanting during it! I can't confirm this right now, but I honestly do believe I heard him yell something..what it was is not clear to me..but I didn't hear anything like that during Columbus!

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next