View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 23-Sep-2007 Verizon Center, Washington DC 

I acquired my entire pre-"Wind and Wuthering" portion of my Genesis collection all at once a couple of years ago. For some weird reason, parts of the "Trick.." album were some of the harder ones for me to get into. "Ripples" was one of the last songs that I learned to digest. It's a slow, thoughtful song with a fairly thick instrumental section, and for some reason it just took longer to "hook" me than "Entangled", for example. In fact, seeing that it would be in the playlist was what finally pushed me to pay more attention to that song and try to really appreciate it. Do I like the song? Absolutely, and I would never want it out of the playlist (except for maybe a full rendering of "The Cinema Show"!). Just admitting that for me it wasn't so easily accessable.

As for "Hold On My Heart"...well, I always thought that it had a more mature sound and structure than just your typical sappy ballad. Sure, it doesn't soar up there with the likes of earlier Genesis, but I've never been ashamed to say that I like the song. Much better than "In Too Deep" (though I do love it's instrumental break).

As they say, there's no accounting for taste!
Link

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:17 pm

Same setlist as every other night, amazing none the less. Highlights for me were Mama, Home By The Sea, Firth of Fifth, Invisible Touch and I Can't Dance.

Ended up getting a copy of the setlist too!!!!

And for what its worth... Ripples really killed the crowd... definately should have switched it up to In Too Deep or Jesus He Knows Me for the American leg of the tour.

Setlist:

Dukes Travels
Turn It On Again
No Son Of Mine
Land of Confusion
In The Cage -> Cinema Show > Afterglow
Hold On My Heart
Home By The Sea
Follow You Follow Me
Fifth of Firth > I Know What I Like
Mama
Ripples
Throwing It All Away
Domino
Drum Duet >
Los Endos
Tonight, Tonight Tonight
Invisible Touch

I Can't Dance
Carpet Crawlers

By the way Hilly, if you actually even got a copy of the setlist for the show, how did you end up posting the wrong setlist? The show starts out with Behind the Lines which segues into Duke's End, then TIOA. They don't start out with Duke's Travels. The Duke's Travels bit is after Cinema Show in the Cage medley. :roll:

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:18 am

DC show was wonderful. I sang every word to Ripples and loved every minute of it. I like the older stuff but I think the show had a fair balance if not a slight tilt toward the older with the medleys and all. Ripples, IKWIL, Los Endos, and Carpet Crawlers were all highlights for me.
Sat stage left, 1st level equal to about row 15 on the floor. Could see the sweat on Phil's head and shirt. :D

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:16 pm

DC show was wonderful. I sang every word to Ripples and loved every minute of it. I like the older stuff but I think the show had a fair balance if not a slight tilt toward the older with the medleys and all. Ripples, IKWIL, Los Endos, and Carpet Crawlers were all highlights for me.
Sat stage left, 1st level equal to about row 15 on the floor. Could see the sweat on Phil's head and shirt. :D

He's a sexy sexy man.

Can't wait for the Encore series to arrive.

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2