View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:19 am



Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 22-Sep-2007 Nationwide Arena, Columbus OH 
Author Message
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:04 pm
Posts: 532
Location: UK
Post 22-Sep-2007 Nationwide Arena, Columbus OH
Post reviews / set lists / photos here.

_________________
Simon Funnell
Webmaster Genesis-Movement.org
http://www.genesis-movement.org | torrent.genesis-movement.org | forums.genesis-movement.org


Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:01 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 769
Post 
anyone here going to see Genesis in Columbus, OH?

I will be there, and the meeting club of choice from the word on the street is a place called the Frog Bear and Wild Boar, right next to the Arena. That is where the official forum and the Discography forum people are going. Just a heads up to anyone who might be there.......


Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:36 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Coronado CA/Columbus OH
Post 
Sqounkman,

I will be there for the show. Do you live in the area? I am in Gahanna.

Cheers

Carlos


Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:29 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 769
Post 
carlosofcoronado wrote:
Sqounkman,

I will be there for the show. Do you live in the area? I am in Gahanna.

Cheers

Carlos



no, I am driving in from St Louis


Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:31 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Coronado CA/Columbus OH
Post 
A very good show. Not too many of the "boring" songs, but a great display of musicianship. Collins spent about 40% of the time on drums. The show went 2 and a half hours. Hightlight, for me, was I Know What I Like with a wonderful collage assortment of band members, including Gabriel, Hackett, and Ant.

Show was a sellout with nearly 25k, many traveling there, from Canada, Texas, Missouri, NY. I know some would have preferred a Gabriel tour, but alas not to happen. The final song in the encore was Carpet Crawlers, with many in the audience knowing the words.

Carlos "waiting for Musical Box in Cleveland" Rivera


Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:02 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:42 am
Posts: 48
Post 
met quite a few people there at the show..some with quite a history! one guy I talked to had seen the band back in 1975, and several times later on..(by the way I was in a lime green homemade genesis shirt)..

was the first one to start the first line...after hanging out next to the frog beer/italian dine-in place, seen them bring out the merch. table thing..went over and spent too much money : / (t-shirt, keychain, lanyard/badge, poster, tour book, tour popup book)..

I'm 21, so Genesis stopped playing before I started going to see my first band...been a fan since I was in the womb..I have seen Phil Collins solo, but this show, hand's down was the best I have ever seen..it was just surreal coming up to my seats (only a couple rows back on the floor), and looking up and seeing the two drum-kits!

I seriously am still in awe!

the only downfall of the show, which really isn't a downfall, or a bad thing about the show, was when waiting in line, I asked one of the moderately appealing to the eye security guards who kept taunting us in line by acting like she was going to open the doors, I asked her if they allowed cameras...

she said no...

so I started to freak out and consider throwing my camera in the flowerbed nearby...or giving my camera away..or smashing it...

then my dad came back from the bar, I ask him for the keys to take the camera back to the parking garage down the street...he took it for me and I didn't see him again til much later, only to find out he gave it to a waitress at the bar who was nice enough to watch it for us...

turns out once inside, the flirty security girl was wrong...it was only PROFESSIONAL CAMERAS that they were forbidding...even more disappointing, I could have easily snuck it in...no pat-downs..and i had the t-shirt, so I could have hid it in there...

overall minus the camera disappointment, I had the best time!


Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:22 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:42 am
Posts: 48
Post 
oh yeah, did anybody catch during 'Land of Confusion' when Phil sang, "My generation will set it right" he went like the classic Who song, "M-m-my generation, will set it right!"


Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:24 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 769
Post 
stranger wrote:
oh yeah, did anybody catch during 'Land of Confusion' when Phil sang, "My generation will set it right" he went like the classic Who song, "M-m-my generation, will set it right!"





He's doing that in every show. :wink:


Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:28 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:28 am
Posts: 1
Post 
I drove up from Knoxville, TN, and it was well worth the 6 hour trip, eventually.

You see, I think it took the band a good half hour or so to really get into the groove, because the first batch of tunes seemed more prefunctory than anything else. Even In the Cage didn't quite have the same fire as in previous tours, and Afterglow really didn't work for me, perhaps because Phil's singing on it was pretty weak.

It also didn't help that the crowd wasn't fully into the show for the first few songs as well, not even doing a decent clap-along with Turn it On Again, which I thought was pretty much mandatory for a Genesis show.

However, once Second Home by the Sea kicked in, it was golden from then on out--with one great (and greatly performed) song after another.

IMO, the Firth of Fifth/I Know What I Like medley was the highlight of the show, with the former showcasing Sturmer, and the latter giving Phil a chance to have a bunch of fun with the tamborine and with the fans.

And then they followed that slice of heaven up with Mama. I was concerned about that song because of Phil's voice earlier in the evening, but he really hit it perfectly.

While the setlist wasn't perfect, (I wanted Dreaming While You Sleep rather than Hold on My Heart and the lack of Abacab material was a crime), but it was a nice overview of the band's entire career from the early 70's Gabriel outfit to the late 70's prog to the 80's and 90's pop stuff, with plenty of material throughout.

The final thing I'll comment on is the light/screen show, which was one of the more impressive that I've seen over the years (and I'm a huge fan of Rush, who have consistently had the best light shows around). The mix of lighting, screens, LED and other tricks really kept the fans entertained, with the only quibble being the uIn the Cage, which would have been better served with massive and constantly moving lights rather than the screen/LED stuff they got--also the lack of any moving lights for Behind the Lights was another reason why the show appeared to be rather placid at the outset.

Let's hope that the guys have great feelings about this and want to keep on playing together--and maybe even hit the south so I don't have to drive 6 hours next time :)


Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:42 am
Posts: 48
Post 
squonkman wrote:
stranger wrote:
oh yeah, did anybody catch during 'Land of Confusion' when Phil sang, "My generation will set it right" he went like the classic Who song, "M-m-my generation, will set it right!"





He's doing that in every show. :wink:


ah I see..I didn't know that, because I've managed to keep myself "in the cage" so to speak and not look up any setlist for the N.A. shows at all...the only footage I ever seen before was European tour pictures and the Rock Honors concert video footage..

I do agree with Fixxer, the Firth of Fifth Medley was quite nice..and just seeing phil do his little tambourine stage antic with seeing the 'Genesis In Concert' footage of him doing it back then too, that was very surreal..I just couldn't believe I was actually seeing him doing it right there!!! :shock:

was kinda funny too, he couldn't throw the tambourine up too high without risking hitting one of the light fixtures..


Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:37 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 769
Post 
Fixxer315 wrote:
I drove up from Knoxville, TN, and it was well worth the 6 hour trip, eventually.

You see, I think it took the band a good half hour or so to really get into the groove, because the first batch of tunes seemed more prefunctory than anything else. Even In the Cage didn't quite have the same fire as in previous tours, and Afterglow really didn't work for me, perhaps because Phil's singing on it was pretty weak.

It also didn't help that the crowd wasn't fully into the show for the first few songs as well, not even doing a decent clap-along with Turn it On Again, which I thought was pretty much mandatory for a Genesis show.

However, once Second Home by the Sea kicked in, it was golden from then on out--with one great (and greatly performed) song after another.

IMO, the Firth of Fifth/I Know What I Like medley was the highlight of the show, with the former showcasing Sturmer, and the latter giving Phil a chance to have a bunch of fun with the tamborine and with the fans.

And then they followed that slice of heaven up with Mama. I was concerned about that song because of Phil's voice earlier in the evening, but he really hit it perfectly.

While the setlist wasn't perfect, (I wanted Dreaming While You Sleep rather than Hold on My Heart and the lack of Abacab material was a crime), but it was a nice overview of the band's entire career from the early 70's Gabriel outfit to the late 70's prog to the 80's and 90's pop stuff, with plenty of material throughout.

The final thing I'll comment on is the light/screen show, which was one of the more impressive that I've seen over the years (and I'm a huge fan of Rush, who have consistently had the best light shows around). The mix of lighting, screens, LED and other tricks really kept the fans entertained, with the only quibble being the uIn the Cage, which would have been better served with massive and constantly moving lights rather than the screen/LED stuff they got--also the lack of any moving lights for Behind the Lights was another reason why the show appeared to be rather placid at the outset.

Let's hope that the guys have great feelings about this and want to keep on playing together--and maybe even hit the south so I don't have to drive 6 hours next time :)




I was at the Columbus show also---drove in from St Louis about 5.5 hours away.

I will be posting a full review here after I figure out how to paste it from the Genesis News site, but I have to say I am going to disagree with you on a few things. I love the opening of Behind the Lines, to me it blasted out and the all white lights were good so you could really see everything. The only better opening would have been Dance on A Volcano....

I don't know where you were sitting but around me on the floor (20th row dead center) people were really into it, and it was a festive boistrous crowd with good audience participation. So we obviously weren't sitting in the same section. I thought Phil's voice sounded fine and he sang Afterglow perfectly. Maybe its because I already heard the encore Cds so I know how he sounds singing in the lower key, but to my ears, I heard no problems at all.

As for lights, well, this was creative and nice, I would prefer no screens and go back purely to the varilites, but in terms of past tours, there is no contest---Genesis always had the most creative and powerful light shows and were always on the cutting edge----I like Rush but they are child's play compared to Genesis's stage shows in the past.


Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:11 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:07 pm
Posts: 866
Location: New Jersey
Post 
BTW, S-man, I have read your review....great review. I wish I had the time to write a big one like that!

_________________
~Dan

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"


http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com


Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:47 am
Profile YIM WWW

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:43 pm
Posts: 9
Post 
Fifteen years and a few states ago...that's when my brother and I last saw Genesis. Last time it was June 5th at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. My brother also saw the second night's show as well. Great music, great stageshow, and even a wedding proposal in the audience!

Fast forward to the present and here we are - Phil, Mike, Tony, Daryl, and Chester back together again. This time, it was Nationwide Arena hosting them for us. My brother drove up from Dayton, and we got in the building around 7:15. This gave us plenty time to check out all the merchandise booths and the arena itself since my brother hadn't seen Nationwide before. Before heading to our seats, we decided to see if we could walk down near the floor. Fortunately, they weren't checking tickets at that point, so we walked all the way down to the bottom near the floor seating to get a look at the stage. Checked out Daryl and Mike's equipment (nice bass pedals, Daryl!). We headed to the other side to get a better look at Tony's keyboard rig as well.

Then up to our seats. Section 212, WAAAYY up. Sorry guys, but as much as I love the band, I couldn't justify paying $200 or so for floor seats. Our seats, however, did give us a full view of the stage and light setup. The two screens at each end of the stage played old school 80s new wave videos the whole time before the show. Nice touch!

Then the show started. Behind The Lines! As my brother remarked, we couldn't think of any other tour where Phil started BEHIND the drum kit. Very cool indeed. From there, the set list was as the other U.S. shows were so far. Highlights for me were Mama, the new medleys (love the addition of Duke's Travels), Ripples, and much more. If the arena wasn't sold out, it was VERY close. I don't think I saw an empty seat in the house from where we sat.

The light show - as others said, FANTASTIC!!!! Really outdid any other show by anyone else I've seen. Words can't describe it enough, so I'll let the pictures do the talking. Since I had attended concerts there before, I knew their "no cameras or recorders" policy wasn't very strict, so I brought in my digital camera. Unfortunately because we were so far away I could only do so much as far as pictures. But, I did manage to get several decent shots. Go to the Fan Memorabilia section for all my pictures. Here are a few for now:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Anyway, great show overall and not one to miss. The last time we see them ever? Who knows, but if so, don't kick yourself later if you don't go. Definitely worth the trip.


Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:18 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 769
Post 
Mental Vortex wrote:

Then the show started. Behind The Lines! As my brother remarked, we couldn't think of any other tour where Phil started BEHIND the drum kit. Very cool indeed.



Last time he did for a Genesis tour was 1981, Abacab tour, which started with Behind the Lines (the whole song). :wink:


Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:11 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 769
Post 
I have over 60 photos of the Columbus show which can be seen here:

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/photogall ... ?album=152

and my tour blog review which can be seen here:


http://www.genesis-news.com/live-2007-blog/




by the way, has anyone noticed/mentioned that when they come out to do I Can't Dance, for the first encore, initially its only the three of them---Chester and Daryl come out a few minutes into the song.......
I don't think anyone has mentioned that.


Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:15 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.