View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Duke's Travels/End on the tour 

Post Duke's Travels/End on the tour
as everyone knows, the various parts of Duke's Travels and Duke's End was played but broken up in different songs for the tour, so that we got the intro to Behind the Lines paired with the end of Duke's End at the start; then we got some of Duke's Travels, with the Guide Vocal reprise played instrumentally instead of being sung, during the Cinema Show/Afterglow medley. What we didn't get is a full Behind the Lines, or a full Duke's Travels/End. Did these excerpted parts of the Albert suite work in your opinion for this tour, or would you have rather heard a full Dukes Travels/End?

I thought the transition from Cinema Show to Duke's Travels was a little awkward, but it was great at least hearing a part of it. I think a full reprise of Guide Vocal sung by Phil going into Afterglow (Phil singing from his drumkit ala FYFM) would have been a good transition into that song too, instead of cutting it short the way they did.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:16 pm

I liked the new medley especially dukes travels 8) as it hasnt been played in any form for such a long time, the transition into it from cinema show is the same transition they used going into slippermen on the old cage medley from the 80's it works well i think cos if your at the show and you hear that transition you think slippermen is coming next but its straight into dukes travels so its a bit of a surprise for the fans

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:40 pm

I always thought the transitions of Cinema Show/Duke's End and the Duke's End/Afterglow doesn't work.
Of course, I am probably influenced by the many boots available with this ITC, Cinema Show... medley, but very honestly, this doesn't work here, at my sense.
And I would have love the complete Duke's Travels/Duke's End (sung).
In fact, what I really would have loved is to get the complete Duke's Suite, directly opening the show, because the Behind The Lines intro is purely perfect to start such a show.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:57 pm

I fully agree with you, Duchess.
I always thought the transitions of Cinema Show/Duke's End and the Duke's End/Afterglow doesn't work.
Of course, I am probably influenced by the many boots available with this ITC, Cinema Show... medley, but very honestly, this doesn't work here, at my sense.
And I would have love the complete Duke's Travels/Duke's End (sung).
In fact, what I really would have loved is to get the complete Duke's Suite, directly opening the show, because the Behind The Lines intro is purely perfect to start such a show.

yea, it would have been great to hear the whole thing ala 1980, but that would have been a huge hunk timewise from the setlist from one album, so I can understand why they couldn't do it. Obviously it would have been nice to hear Duchess...... :)

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:37 am

yea, it would have been great to hear the whole thing ala 1980, but that would have been a huge hunk timewise from the setlist from one album, so I can understand why they couldn't do it.

Not worse than the 5 tracks that they play from IT...

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:21 am

Duchess wrote:
yea, it would have been great to hear the whole thing ala 1980, but that would have been a huge hunk timewise from the setlist from one album, so I can understand why they couldn't do it.

Do you not like Domino? :shock:

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:06 am

Ok, heres what they could have done, drop HOMH & ICD. Put the whole of Dukes travel/Dukes end in. :D Change the ITC medley back with ITQE section. Job done. :D

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:32 am

Ok, heres what they could have done, drop HOMH & ICD. Put the whole of Dukes travel/Dukes end in. :D Change the ITC medley back with ITQE section. Job done. :D

I would have loved to see the Quiet Earth section in there---I can only imagine what kind of lights would have accompanied that heavy guitar riff section, with Tony playing those ominous keyboard sounds---would have been wonderful.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:26 am

Jerome wrote:
Duchess wrote:

This is not what I meant. Duchess says that they couldn't play the whole Duke's Suite as it would give too much tracks of only one album, which gives 6 tracks, but IT is represented with 5 tracks which is almost the same, with the same length.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm
I loved how they combined everything. It was a very good idea but I think they could have opened with something else like having a little bit of playing on the guitar and the keyboards like they did for the IT tour for TIOA

That would have been awesome

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:51 pm

Squonkendos wrote:
Jerome wrote:
Duchess wrote:

This is not what I meant. Duchess says that they couldn't play the whole Duke's Suite as it would give too much tracks of only one album, which gives 6 tracks, but IT is represented with 5 tracks which is almost the same, with the same length.

O.K. I understand what you were getting at. :)

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm

i thought the setlist was ok, but could've been improved by making a few "small" tweaks. see what you think (in no particular order):

1. open with behind the lines/duchess/guide vocal

2. get rid of HOMH completely, awful song!!!!!

3. cage medley - a la mama tour, cinema show/quiet earth/slippermen into afterglow. tried, tested, fan-bloody-tastic!

4. duke's travels/end - straight in from the drum duet, but keep the bar stool thing, quite enjoyed that :)

5. Los Endos, glad they played it, but the duke tour version is still the best i've heard - volcano/short drum thing/endos. AMAZING!

6. separate TTT/IT. they are 2 completely different songs, and TTT should never have been tarnished with the segue. IT would have been good on it's own as an encore, but TTT would've been just awesome in it's complete state, just imagine the lighting :twisted:

7. ICD - GET RID OF IT, IT'S NOT A REAL SONG :evil: it's not even fit to fill 5 spare minutes of a set, and the real fans don't give a toss about it, it's only there for the "fans" if you get my drift.

8. TIOA, leave it at the end, after carpet crawlers, don't seem right closing a genesis set with anything else :)

think that's it, and it wouldn't have made that much difference to the length of the set, although a longer set can only be a good thing, right?

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:36 pm

i thought the setlist was ok, but could've been improved by making a few "small" tweaks. see what you think (in no particular order):

3. cage medley - a la mama tour, cinema show/quiet earth/slippermen into afterglow. tried, tested, fan-bloody-tastic!

4. duke's travels/end - straight in from the drum duet, but keep the bar stool thing, quite enjoyed that :)

5. Los Endos, glad they played it, but the duke tour version is still the best i've heard - volcano/short drum thing/endos. AMAZING!

6. separate TTT/IT. they are 2 completely different songs, and TTT should never have been tarnished with the segue. IT would have been good on it's own as an encore, but TTT would've been just awesome in it's complete state, just imagine the lighting :twisted:

7. ICD - GET RID OF IT, IT'S NOT A REAL SONG :evil: it's not even fit to fill 5 spare minutes of a set, and the real fans don't give a toss about it, it's only there for the "fans" if you get my drift.

8. TIOA, leave it at the end, after carpet crawlers, don't seem right closing a genesis set with anything else :)

think that's it, and it wouldn't have made that much difference to the length of the set, although a longer set can only be a good thing, right?

I agree with a lot of your suggestions. I would say my favorite drum duet is still the 1981 Abacab tour duet (last year they did the full Dance/drum duet/Los Endos medley). They really extend and sizzle on that drum duet on that tour, with the Duke tour a close second. For me, the drum duets carried extra oomph and momentum coming out of an already molten Dance on a Volcano (see what I did there?), as opposed to starting the drum duet cold, which they started with the Encore tour and then the Mama tour. At least those and the IT tour had Los Endos. The drum duet version in 92 with no lead in and with ICD following simply pales in comparison.

Now if they did Duke's Travels/End per your suggestion from the drum duet, that would leave Los Endos hanging by itself, so I am not sure I would want that. I also am amazed they didn't play Lamb Lies Down on Broadway somewhere---would have made a great first song of the encore set. Carpet Crawlers was sublime, but I agree, I prefer a more upbeat ending, which TIOA would have been, or the closing section of Musical Box after the Lamb ala 1977.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:18 pm

abacab666 wrote:

I agree with a lot of your suggestions. I would say my favorite drum duet is still the 1981 Abacab tour duet (last year they did the full Dance/drum duet/Los Endos medley). They really extend and sizzle on that drum duet on that tour, with the Duke tour a close second. For me, the drum duets carried extra oomph and momentum coming out of an already molten Dance on a Volcano (see what I did there?), as opposed to starting the drum duet cold, which they started with the Encore tour and then the Mama tour. At least those and the IT tour had Los Endos. The drum duet version in 92 with no lead in and with ICD following simply pales in comparison.

Now if they did Duke's Travels/End per your suggestion from the drum duet, that would leave Los Endos hanging by itself, so I am not sure I would want that. I also am amazed they didn't play Lamb Lies Down on Broadway somewhere---would have made a great first song of the encore set. Carpet Crawlers was sublime, but I agree, I prefer a more upbeat ending, which TIOA would have been, or the closing section of Musical Box after the Lamb ala 1977.

spot on with the idea of using the lamb into end of musical box as a closer, maybe use TIOA as end of main set and then surprise by returning to stage for encore, starting with TTT. As for los endos, i meant by returning to the volcano/drum thingy/endos idea, rather than leave it hanging out on it's own. found that on one of the new dvds (think it's W&W) and it just don't sound right without a decent lead in!

thinking about it, some sort of lamb medley to finish...lamb/fly/crawl/musical box(yes, i know it's not on the lamb) or IT. using IT/WOTS a la 3sideslive would've been just an unbeatable way to close the gig off. what you think?

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Post Re: Duke's Travels/End on the tour
Duchess wrote:
as everyone knows, the various parts of Duke's Travels and Duke's End was played but broken up in different songs for the tour, so that we got the intro to Behind the Lines paired with the end of Duke's End at the start; then we got some of Duke's Travels, with the Guide Vocal reprise played instrumentally instead of being sung, during the Cinema Show/Afterglow medley. What we didn't get is a full Behind the Lines, or a full Duke's Travels/End. Did these excerpted parts of the Albert suite work in your opinion for this tour, or would you have rather heard a full Dukes Travels/End?

I thought the transition from Cinema Show to Duke's Travels was a little awkward, but it was great at least hearing a part of it. I think a full reprise of Guide Vocal sung by Phil going into Afterglow (Phil singing from his drumkit ala FYFM) would have been a good transition into that song too, instead of cutting it short the way they did.

I actually enjoyed the fact that they even played parts of those 2 songs. It was interesting to have a change like that in the Cage Medly.

Overall I thought it was a good set list especially with Ripples and Carpet Crawl. I do wish they would have played Driving the last spike or even Dreaming While You Sleep instead of HOMH.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next