View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Duke's Travels/End on the tour 

The song they should never play ever again is Invisible Touch.

I really wish after all these years they would stop with the Medleys and play actual full songs. Did they really think between 1992 and 2007, the fans missed hearing them play only partial songs?

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:05 pm

I dun know, I kinda think that this years ITC Medley was very good. Liked them throwing in Dukes Travels, but you can't please them all......or 90% of the internet community

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"

http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

I wished they would do it the other way around sometimes. Like, putting Invisible Touch, Land of Confusion, I Can't Dance and Throwing It All Away in a medley or something. Why should it always be the 70's songs that gets thrown away like that? (Even though the ITC-medley is kinda great :))

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:24 am
Profile WWW

to be honest, i could do without hearing nearly all of the IT album, as long as they played domino, although if they were to play TTT IN IT@S ENTIRETY, I'd die a VERY happy (the) man :D

As for the old stuff being played in medleys, the problem lies in the fact that there's just SO much good stuff that we all wanna hear, but we all wanna hear different bits of it. Granted, we all wanna hear supper's ready, but the whole thing is just so long that we have to lose 2 or 3 other tracks from the set, so the '86 cage medley is a start (before phil's voice caved in and we got afterglow back instead) I'd rather hear something like the lady lies than WOTS, but would sell my soul for a complete version of the musical box, you get the idea.

it's impossible to keep everybody happy, without playing the entire back catalogue every night, so medleys are, unfortunately, just a means to an end of getting as much material in the timespace permitted and, whether we like it or not, they're here to stay :(

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 pm

lol if they attempted Supper's Ready now they would play probably a whole step and a half tunes lower because of the vocals, so while it could sound decent (but won't because of the instruments and effects they currently use), it would also sound weird because of the key change. Like last year's Carpet Crawlers.

The In The Cage Medley was amazing I did not think it would be that good.

I agree with either not playing any IT songs again, or making that the Medley instead of the 70's songs we long to hear in full.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:13 pm

well they're getting there with that godawful segue between IT/TTT!

i can see the rehearsal conversation now:

Mike/tony: we should be playing the stuff that the fans wanna hear, we know they all like TTT, so lets play the whole thing, cos it's amazing!

some other lovely person (probably the lead singer :twisted: ): nah, F*** em, my voice can't handle it anymore, so rather than change the key and make it sounds even more menacing, we'll p!$$ everyone off by ruining probably the best song we've written in the last 20 years, and this is how we gonna do it...

move forward to tour, and we all know the rest!

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 pm

some other lovely person (probably the lead singer :twisted: ): nah, F*** em, my voice can't handle it anymore

I just can't imagine Phil using language like that! :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:56 pm

remember when phil was funny as hell and arrogant? ah the beard days. he should grow a beard again.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 am

What?

*Flees Flying Beer Cans*

Anyways, for what was going to be a "cannot please everyone" concert--new fans, old fans, old-old fans--they did not do a bad job at all. Having "Duke's Travels/End" in the medley was strange, but I was happy to hear the piece live. It is one of my favorites, and I am disappointed they have not played it live since . . . like . . . ever.

--J.D.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:51 pm

"Whodunnit?" Eh........I dont think so. :lol: :lol: Good sense of Humour

I have to say though, i did witness this twice, live. :lol:

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 pm

I had the fortune to be looking down at the band--directly on Phil and Chester's drum piles. As a hack-drummer, it was quite a pleasure. That was the time they did the "In the Cage"-"Quiet Earth"-"Apocalypse in 9/8." I was with old fans--the "the band ended when Peter left!" fans. I think one felt that way when Anthony Phillips left. I was "in the middle"--liked it all--and there were a few fans who preferred the "Phil Era."

Right, there were also "teenie boppers" in the section. One asked if they would play "One More Night" and "Sussudio." During the medley, one remarked: "I didn't know Phil Collins was a drummer!"

Glad to finally find a full version of the LA concert with that medley HERE.

Returning back to the topic, the band had to satisfy old fans all the way to the Patrick Batemans who believe IT is their greatest album. Seems like they did a decent enough job.

--J.D.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 am

Post Re: Duke's Travels/End on the tour
It took me years to get round to buying Duke on album and as far as that era went (79/80/81) I mainly subsisted on what I remembered from the old days when my mate had the Mama and TSL vids so I was quite pleased by Duke's bits, so to speak, as included in 2007...I actually travelled to Amsterdam to see them, had mine and my girls flights cancelled on the day(terrorist bombings) at 5am and only managed to get 1 flight much later in the afternoon!!...suffice to say that flight/train/hotel check-in/coffee shop :bounce: /taxi then led to me strolling round the outside of the arena just as it hit 8pm and the opening bars of Behind the Lines(intro) began! So after managing to avoid all the spoiler I was quite chuffed and very surprised that they'd ventured anywhere near the Duke album...it was a shame it actually took me about another 5 minutes to get to my seat...I do kind of agree that some previous incarnations of the ITC medley have worked better in the past(quiet/suppers etc! :baby: )...but I'm more interested that they have tried something new.
Of course I would have killed for Duchess, complete Cinema Show...insert endless list here...but there were enough surprises for me as well as enough yawns.
Wish they'd spunk all the cr*p from WCD and IT into one 3 second explosion of a medley though! :lol: Ged

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:23 pm

Post Re: Duke's Travels/End on the tour
My theory is this: As a singer gets older, his vocal register becomes lower. So most of the songs they did in 2007 had to be dropped to a lower key. If they had opened with a vocal "Behind the Lines", they would have had to drop it to a lower key. By opening with an instrumental "Behind the Lines"/"Duke's End", they were able to keep the first piece they played in its original key. Which I think has some value, because the power of the opening chords remains unchanged that way.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2