View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. To play or not to play... 

Post Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. To play or not to play...
Considering that a 5 man is very very unlikely...

Do you want to see Genesis (PC, MR, TB) go on stage and perform what would probably be Turn it On Again or I Can't Dance or Invisible Touch (or if you're very very lucky Carpet Crawlers or IKWIL) or perhaps even a medley of the aforementioned songs?

Or would you rather they just accept their award while the audience is shown a video of Genesis in its heyday - snippets of Gabriel in costume, Collins and Bruford in 76, the vari-light shows of 1983 and 1986, etc...

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:33 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. To play or not to play...
I'm thinking Fish and Ray performing a medley of old and new, backed-up by The Musical Box. Yeah, that's the ticket...

MRK

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Apparently Daryl Stuermer has claimed on his myspace page that there will be no performance on the night from Genesis in any shape or form.
:cry:

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 am

That sucks.

On a slightly more upbeat note, here are Chris Squire's comments on Genesis being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

In the interview above, Squire also mentions his collaboration with Steve Hackett. Also of interest is this blog post by Steve about attending a Yes concert in Copenhagen.

(I'm seeing Yes tomorrow! The concert was originally scheduled for last weekend but was postponed due to the record-breaking snowfall here in Washington DC.)

On a less upbeat note, Kim Poor -- Steve's love of 32 years and now, sadly, his ex -- writes the following on her blog:
Quote:
I am also thrilled that Steve has been invited to join them [Genesis] in New York. He has always felt so left out since he left the band in 1977. He came to bitterly regret that decision. So I'm sure it comes as a great comfort to be included after all these years.

We all knew that Steve looked back on his Genesis days with a lot of melancholy and wistfulness, but Kim's phrasing here ("bitterly regret") is perhaps more blunt than he himself has been in publicly expressing his feelings. So I hope Kim is right about him being "included" (i.e., welcomed by his former colleagues) at the event!

Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:09 am

Thanks for the links to those Squire/Hackett features. Hope we really do get the chance to see them live together.

It's quite ironic that Steve's touring schedule prevented him from seeing a Yes gig in the UK as his recent gig in Scotland took place on the same night as the Scottish date on the Yes tour!

Have to say I was at the Hackett gig but my friends who went to the Yes show instead later told me they wished they'd come to the Hackett gig!
:lol:

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:19 pm

It was just announced that Trey Anastasio will be giving the award (or whatever it is) to Genesis at the ceremony.

I wonder if this puts Hackett back into the game? I have always felt that Hackett must have been an influence on Anastasio. For example, some of the guitar work in "Esther" reminds me a lot of Hackett on Selling England. If Anastasio mentions Hackett by name in his talk, that would be nice!

As an aside, I've always felt that Hackett was in a similar position to the various keyboardists that Yes has had. Steve Howe's guitar is so versatile that he dominates the mid-range in Yes, leaving the keyboardist in a very secondary role (sometimes just adding decoration). Similarly, Tony's keyboards are so wide and central that Hackett was in the secondary role more often that not. Of course, even "decoration" can be incredibly important -- the last seven notes of "Watcher of the Skies" always send a chill up my spine. If you removed the guitar track from "Watcher" it would be much worse. On the other hand, if you removed the keyboards it wouldn't be anything at all....

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 pm

I understand that Trey's band will play a 2-song set in tribute to the band's earlier and later years.

The two songs that I was told they will play are:

No Reply at All.
The Musical Box.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]