View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:56 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is October Just A Baseless Rmour? 
Author Message
Post Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
I've read here and there of Tony, Mike and Phil having booked some studio time for October. Is there any truth to this or should I have taken this news with a pinch of salt?

For me, a new Genesis album (of any line-up) would be far more exciting than a reunion concert.


Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:53 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:35 am
Posts: 15
Location: A Lake In The Hills
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
kitty wrote:
I've read here and there of Tony, Mike and Phil having booked some studio time for October. Is there any truth to this or should I have taken this news with a pinch of salt?


It's a statement that Phil himself had made... although it was put more in the context of some personal jam time for them rather than anything in the way of formal recording when he said it.


Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:47 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 pm
Posts: 33
Location: England
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
voyageofacolyte wrote:

Yes it is a stupid rumor. Why would they make yet another trio album after how bad the other ones were?




in your HUMBLE :wink: opinion


Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:49 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 pm
Posts: 33
Location: England
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
voyageofacolyte wrote:
richierich wrote:
voyageofacolyte wrote:

Yes it is a stupid rumor. Why would they make yet another trio album after how bad the other ones were?




in your HUMBLE :wink: opinion

There is a fine line between "FACT" and opinion! :!:


would you say it is a fact? :D


Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:16 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:11 pm
Posts: 21
Post Let's wait Peter/Steve
If there will be a reunion of Genesis I don't like doing jams of trios


Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:23 pm
Profile
Post 
Have you heard the Jerusalem Boogie Boot, voyageofacolyte?

According to the British press (hardly a reliable source, I know) the classic three man lineup are touring Europe and America next year. I presume messrs Stuermer and Thompson will be joining them.

If Gabriel holds to his word and is free to perform with them in 2008 they can do a tour of stuff from '76 to '92 and then a tour of the early material, hopefully with Hackett joining them too. I think that would be a perfect official end to their career, recognising the two eras of the band with dignity and providing a lot of fun for all their fans.


Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:45 pm

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 pm
Posts: 33
Location: England
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
voyageofacolyte wrote:
richierich wrote:
voyageofacolyte wrote:
richierich wrote:
voyageofacolyte wrote:

Yes it is a stupid rumor. Why would they make yet another trio album after how bad the other ones were?




in your HUMBLE :wink: opinion

There is a fine line between "FACT" and opinion! :!:


would you say it is a fact? :D
Yes it is proven fact. What planet are you on. The booing concert bootleg the heckling in the begging of "Man On the Corner" live off the 2nd boxset. It's funny how they were never booed at when Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel played with them


i disagree and im sure many people would to. Just because a few 1000 dutch didnt like them 81 is hardly grounds to say its a fact that they are/where rubbish! dont you realise how crazy that sounds? anyway didnt 60000 turn up to see them at there next 2 concerts in holland? what does that say? if anything! :D


Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:07 pm
Profile
Post 
A single lonley voice.


Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 am

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 pm
Posts: 33
Location: England
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
voyageofacolyte wrote:
richierich wrote:
voyageofacolyte wrote:
richierich wrote:
voyageofacolyte wrote:
richierich wrote:
voyageofacolyte wrote:

Yes it is a stupid rumor. Why would they make yet another trio album after how bad the other ones were?




in your HUMBLE :wink: opinion

There is a fine line between "FACT" and opinion! :!:


would you say it is a fact? :D
Yes it is proven fact. What planet are you on. The booing concert bootleg the heckling in the begging of "Man On the Corner" live off the 2nd boxset. It's funny how they were never booed at when Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel played with them


i disagree and im sure many people would to. Just because a few 1000 dutch didnt like them 81 is hardly grounds to say its a fact that they are/where rubbish! dont you realise how crazy that sounds? anyway didnt 60000 turn up to see them at there next 2 concerts in holland? what does that say? if anything! :D


You can say what you want, the all the music(noise) that the trio made was crap!!!! It was just promoted more since Phil Collins solo stuff SOLD MORE and he just happened to be lead singer of the band. There is a very big difference between creative writting and crud just to meet contractual obligations with the record company. It's a bitter shame, thats how Genesis ended when other prog bands still backed up their name with good material. And yet they still play today.


You can say that all the music the trio wrote is crap but this is in your opinion. just because you and some other people say something is crap does that make it so? i think not. that type of reasoning is absurd. I happen to think that all the eras of genesis had good and not so good moments. Also instead of going to a gig to boo and throw things at the band why not stay at home and listen to till we have faces or something else? By the way what does the guy shout from the crowd during man on the corner on the box set? not heard it in a while


Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:28 pm
Profile
Post 
The Man On The Corner incident is hardly strong enough to base a "Genesis in the eighties were crap" argument but, if you look at the rest of voyageofacolyte's threads and posts you might think twice about expending energy debating the subject with him.

The incident is best listened to on the Abacab To The Savoy boot. When the song opens, Phil is standing in the spotlight and someone shouts "where's the rest of the band?" which is pretty funny. Then someone cries "Peter Gabriel" which is a bit bewildering given he'd left six years ago. Straight away someone replies "Phil Collins!" and then the song starts proper. A lot of the banter between frontman and audience was lighthearted on this tour and not to be taken too seriously and when you hear the rapturous response Man On The Corner gets it's clear the audience were behind this song.


Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:48 pm
Post 
"The truth"? What a lofty claim.

You must be right and all the rest wrong then, voyageofacolyte.

I leave the room bowing and scraping.


Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:08 pm

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 pm
Posts: 33
Location: England
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
voyageofacolyte wrote:

Well you know what, I just made it grounds to say it is a fact. So what if 60,000 people came the music is still crap! It even more absurd to say that this trio evolved when all they did was regresss to a style of writting that had been around far longer than progressive. Thats right pop. Motown did it, and many other pop bands of the 60's and 70's. What made this former rock legend any different? Pop bands are a dime a dozen. The progressive rock Genesis did in the 70's was new and not many other bands other than maybe King Crimson and Pink Floyd did it before Genesis did. The Lamb revoltionized the way progressive rock was being written. Before Pink Floyd had "The Wall", before Marillion, Smallcreep's Day, A Curious Feeling, Spectral Mornings, The Flower Kings, GTR Genesis did the Lamb. Even Genesis' prog contemporaries tried to copy what was Genesis' idea. And to say that this trio supposedly evolved? What a Joke!



>Well you know what, I just made it grounds to say it is a fact

No you didnt!

>So what if 60,000 people came the music is still crap!

this is your opinion not fact

>It even more absurd to say that this trio evolved when all they did was regresss to a style of writting that had been around far longer than progressive

They evolved into a pop band. why is pop a regressive style? id rather listen to good pop instead of bad prog and vise versa.

>Pop bands are a dime a dozen.

true but are good pop bands dime a dozen?

>The less wirtters, the less quality in the song writting

thats not true! say if you had 5 bad writters and 1 really good writter who would make the best music? ha ha

once more you can not say your opinion is fact! you have not backed it up and you cant!


Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:39 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 pm
Posts: 33
Location: England
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
[quote="voyageofacolyte]Yes it is true you need a good mix of ideas to get a good song down!!!!The Lamb proved it!! Not my fault you're an idiot not to see that. It's called teamwork are you familar with it? Luckly, Phil Collins' insane ideas about using stupid drum machines wasn't used in the Lamb hence the reason why it was sucessful and the most influnecial Genesis album to date. They kept Phil behind his drum kit where he belongs. The trio crap is regressing, because they are going back to a style that they already did on the first album. Genesis(or should I say Tony Banks) gave up trying to imitate the Bee Gees with the Silent Sun for good reason. There were some good songs on From Genesis To Revelations but the rest of the album wasn't all that good. However, not as bad the the 80's trio trash. Pop has been around far longer than progressive rock so evidently it wasn't new. Nobody prior to 1969 did progressive rock, it was an unknown. Genesis' Trespass was the first step in the right direction as far as going on the new style of writting. Anthony Phillips and John Mayhew were not all thrilled with it, but that was about to change for the better. Pop bands attract a lot of morons and those 60,000 people prove it. All you need is a quick steady beat, a silly title and theme and voila, you have pop. ALL pop bands are a dime a dozen it just depends on who is lucky enough to get a lucrative contract with a record company. Genesis has had problems with record companies in the past. Lack of promotion being one of the key issues. In 1972, Genesis left budda records for mispromoting Foxtrot and not having problems with the producer of that album as well. Genesis got very very lucky when they were inherited to Atlantic records with they bought out Charisma records in 1973. The trio was grandfathered in. THIS IS FACT POSERFAN GET USED TO IT! You don't know the facts you only know to blindly follow any band that plays pop! Some Genesis fan![/quote]


>Yes it is true you need a good mix of ideas to get a good song down!!!!The Lamb proved it!! Not my fault you're an idiot not to see that. It's called teamwork are you familar with it?

Hi again! You don’t need lots of people involved to write a good song! If that the case how do you explain Bob Dylan and Paul Simon for example? Don’t resort to calling people idiots either its really is poor behaviour.

>Luckly, Phil Collins' insane ideas about using stupid drum machines wasn't used in the Lamb hence the reason why it was sucessful and the most influnecial Genesis album to date.

So the lamb was a successful because it had no drum machines? Interesting theory!

>Pop bands attract a lot of morons and those 60,000 people prove it.


How can you call 60,000 people morons coz they went to a gig? Are you really that self-righteous?

>All you need is a quick steady beat, a silly title and theme and voila, you have pop.

I can't believe your serious! if it is that simple why not write a few tunes yourself? you would make a fortune ;-)


>ALL pop bands are a dime a dozen

that’s a snobbish! sounds like some one is a bit blinkered here

>THIS IS FACT POSERFAN GET USED TO IT!

Poserfans? That’s a laugh! Genesis have to be one of the most un-cool bands ever! Hardly the type of band to attract posers!


Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:23 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:39 am
Posts: 17
Location: Repentigny, Quebec Canada
Post 
Respect anyone???

_________________
Michel Dupuis
Let's meet for a beer before the montreal gig!!!


Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:55 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 pm
Posts: 33
Location: England
Post Re: Is October Just A Baseless Rmour?
>>>>Well I really don't remember this being a good behavior form. And the guidlines for "good behavior"

im just saying don’t insult people I didn’t insult you.

>>>>Anyway, it worked for Simon and Garfunkel as well as Bob Dylan because they used a style of writting where you would only need one or two writters. Have you ever seen a pop band where five people wrote one song? Impossible. They never intended to become a progressive rock band from day one. Do you think Yes, Pink Floyd, and others only had one or two writters?


After a while roger wrote the bulk of floyds material. Frank Zappa And Igor Stravinsky are two examples of people who wrote complex music on their own.
.
>>>Any simpleton can put out pop!


Go ahead then you could make a fortune.

>>>Maybe you should try to audition for a prog rock band. You would be thrown out as fast as you came in.

What makes you assume that im a musician? And let say for instance if I was a musician what makes you assume that i would be a crap? you don’t know me! for all you know I could be a great musician or never have played a note in my life!

>>>>Yell out The Lamb, or Watcher of the Skies. People look at you and don't know the songs.

Id look at you because you would be shouting for genesis songs at a Phil Collins gig! Not that id go to a Collins gig. Would you go to a Hackett gig and shout for the lamb?


Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:29 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.