View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 What song do you NOT want to hear on the tour? 

It must have been great to see Genesis in, say 1974, or even 1978 or 1980. There was simply no crap available from them to play at that time.
When I saw them for the first time in 1987 there was plenty to choose from....

Looking back, I agree with you there. When I saw them in 1980, for the most part it was a dream setlist and played in a small 4000 seat theater it just couldn't get much better. My only regret on that tour in hindsight is that Genesis gave us Misunderstanding and cut Carpet Crawlers from the setlist in the US. Misunderstanding was a huge hit on US radio, so the reason was obvious, but I would have rather heard CC. Of course, I didn't even realize the slight until years later when I got the MUSICA bootleg. Looking back now, I loved the fact that they played that whole Duke suite live all linked together, including all of Duke's Travels/Duke's End. Duchess was also sublime. One for the Vine, Ripples, the first real Cage medley, Dance/drums/Los Endos, the powerful opening of Deep in the Motherlode.....wow. Amazingly, much of that tour setlist was performed on this current reunion tour, albeit slightly rearranged in parts.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:28 pm
The song that I really dreaded listening to had to be Hold on My Heart which should have been replaced with In Too Deep since to me that one was way better than HOMH.

My dad had to be singing to that song which made me want to go down there and tell them to stop playing it.

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:42 pm

I know most of you like this song, but I just can't stand Illegal Alien. I think that it got overplayed and it just put a sour note in my ear.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:01 am
IA it a very good song to me but there was no reason to play it on the tour.

But since they would have put it a key down it would have sounded awful

Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:46 pm

...yes but look at all of the attention and controversy it would have created if they played it! :lol:

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"

http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com

Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I wont say anymore, than those dreaded words WHO DUNNIT!!!!!!! :lol:

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Haha yeah WHO DUNNIT!? I agree with Dan that if they did play IA here in the US it would have caused a lot of controversey.

It still would have been nice to see it played.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Squonkendos wrote:

Haha yeah WHO DUNNIT!? I agree with Dan that if they did play IA here in the US it would have caused a lot of controversey.

I had the pleasure of seeing this live twice!! :lol: (Abacab tour 81,England & Germany)
It was very interesting though, Mike playing the drums for the song.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:54 pm
MattS1994 wrote:
Squonkendos wrote:

I had the pleasure of seeing this live twice!! :lol: (Abacab tour 81,England & Germany)
It was very interesting though, Mike playing the drums for the song.

Well then what did Chester do? Play guitar lol:lol?

Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 pm

But there was some spanish TV show where Mike played drums & Chester played bass!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Now that would be good entertainment. :lol:

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:49 am

The song that I really dreaded listening to had to be Hold on My Heart which should have been replaced with In Too Deep since to me that one was way better than HOMH.

My dad had to be singing to that song which made me want to go down there and tell them to stop playing it.

In Too Deep is probably the only song worse than HOMH that I wouldn't want to hear.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:13 pm

MattS1994 wrote:

In Too Deep is probably the only song worse than HOMH that I wouldn't want to hear.

Yeah, if I were to replace HOMH with something, I would never pick In Too Deep. To me they are very similar songs... Slow, nothing exciting happens, very Phil-solo-ish, almost cheesy. (But that's just me!)

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: What song do you NOT want to hear on the tour?
As someone who appreciates all era's of the band for different reasons, I was actually fairly happy with everything that was played on the tour, and I certainly understood why everything was there.

As far as the poppier stuff goes, Ive long thought that Id much rather here Genesis play pop-rock songs than pretty much anyone else out there, so it doesnt bother me, and I actually really like Dance and Touch! (that sounds like some sort of sketchy method of pulling in nightclubs)

From the Rome DVD you can see that we might have had ABACAB, In too Deep and Jesus He Knows Me, as well as a couple of others I cant remember - would anyone have prefered to see these?
It doesnt look like they thought of doing anything else from anything earlier than ABACAB though, apart from I thought at one point they seemed to be discussing doing all of Cinema Show instead of just having it in the medley, which is interesting.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4