View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:52 am



Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What song do you NOT want to hear on the tour? 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Wales
Post 
It must have been great to see Genesis in, say 1974, or even 1978 or 1980. There was simply no crap available from them to play at that time.
When I saw them for the first time in 1987 there was plenty to choose from....


Tue May 15, 2007 12:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:07 pm
Posts: 866
Location: New Jersey
Post 
Genesis sang, Jesus He Loves Me??

_________________
~Dan

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"


http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com


Tue May 15, 2007 6:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Post 
Tulyar wrote:
It must have been great to see Genesis in, say 1974, or even 1978 or 1980. There was simply no crap available from them to play at that time.
When I saw them for the first time in 1987 there was plenty to choose from....


What a pillock you were then for going in the first place. What, did you not think they'd play anything from the current album and the two immediately preceding?

Jesus He Knows Me - sory, Loves me - is excellent. A real driving song with funny, cynical lyrics. It was a real highlight from those shows in '92, with all the stuff going on with the screens and Daryl's solo.

Probably dropped for the following tour because Ray couldn't keep up with the pace and it would have been taken down by so many keys as to be virtually unrecognisable (anyone ever hear him "sing" That's All? Horrible.). Now that a real singer is back in the fold, it would be nice to see it in the set again.


Fri May 18, 2007 9:44 pm
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Wales
Post 
kitty wrote:
What a pillock you were then for going in the first place. What, did you not think they'd play anything from the current album and the two immediately preceding?


I don't think I was a pillock to go and see (what was then) my favourite band! :roll:
You don't have to love every song a band ever does to love the band and to want to see them live! Interestingly, my comment about 1980 being the last tour with 'no crap' is backed up by everyone who has contributed to this thread - not one person has suggested a pre-1980 song as one they don't want to hear on this tour.

I agree Genesis recorded some great music post-1980. Even Abacab has one or two good songs! :wink:
When I saw Genesis in 1987, I was well aware that Invisible Touch would occupy a large part of the set, but that album did mark a high point on the steady climb since the depths of 1981.

I withdraw my use of the word 'plenty', but I still maintain that there was no crap available for the live set pre-1980, but there was some from 1981 onwards! :D


Sat May 19, 2007 6:16 pm
Profile
Post 
So, what you're saying then is that if no-one backed you up on your claim that no pre-1980 Genesis songs are crap your point would be invalid?

Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, numbers being the deciding factor, does the fact that Justin Timberlake's last album sold more than Peter Gabriel's Up make the Timberlake record the better album and all his fans right and the Gabriel fans wrong?

I'm going to have to rethink all my opinions now and change them be in line with the popular swing.

Alternatively, the fact that Invisible Touch will get more cheers on this tour than In The Cage might just mean that the people who go to the concerts are of a different persuasion to the people who post on forums such as this. Which in turn might just mean that one person's opinion is no better than anyone else's, regardles of how many or how few share the same point of view.


Sun May 20, 2007 9:17 am
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Wales
Post 
kitty wrote:
So, what you're saying then is that if no-one backed you up on your claim that no pre-1980 Genesis songs are crap your point would be invalid?

Pardon? :? I'm struggling with the double and triple negatives here, but I'm pretty sure that is not what I am saying! I think I commented that all the songs nominated on this thread so far are post-1980.
But the validity of a person's argument does not depend on other people agreeing.

kitty wrote:
Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, numbers being the deciding factor, does the fact that Justin Timberlake's last album sold more than Peter Gabriel's Up make the Timberlake record the better album and all his fans right and the Gabriel fans wrong?

I have no idea how you got that from what I said! :roll: :?
I didn't even mention anything about a link between popularity and quality!
I've always maintained that there is no such link, but that isn't relevant to the (simple) point I was making about how the only 'bad' songs (in my own opinion, of course) that Genesis have recorded were post-1980!

kitty wrote:
Alternatively, the fact that Invisible Touch will get more cheers on this tour than In The Cage might just mean that the people who go to the concerts are of a different persuasion to the people who post on forums such as this. Which in turn might just mean that one person's opinion is no better than anyone else's, regardless of how many or how few share the same point of view.

I suspect you're wrong about Invisible Touch getting more cheers than In the Cage, but we'll just have to wait and see (although it is difficult to measure 'more cheers' at a concert anyway).
But apart from that, I obviously agree that one person's opinion and music taste is no better than anyone else's - it is entirely subjective, and we are all quite allowed to like different things!


Anyway, this thread opened with a question about songs we don't want to hear on the forthcoming tour. Other people suggested certain songs. I gave a less specific answer. The question was about people's opinions. I gave my opinion. I was not trying to put anyone down or say my view was superior. I am an 'all-era' fan: I fear that some 'Collins-era' fans need to be less defensive! :wink:


Mon May 21, 2007 9:29 am
Profile
Post 
And of course, you're entitled to your feelings.

What point where you trying to make, then, when you said how interesting it was that no-one had voted for a post-Duke song on this thread? You read this as being backed up by members of the forum; if you don't believe a point is more valid just because it's popular (and that was what I was illustrating with the Gabriel vs Timberlake example. Sorry you didn't get that.) then why make the coment i the first place?

I think it's quite easy to measure how many cheers a song gets at a concert - it's been done countless times on live tv. I believe they do it by measuring the volume (of course. some people naturally make more noise than others - the old Genesis forum was plagued by empty cans that did their fair share of unmusical rattling) but you won't need any fancy equipment at the gigs to gauge the response to In The Cage and Invisible Touch. The latter will get a bigger response simply because of its popularity and familiarity to the crowd - this is a show for the masses, you understand; if you want to hear mass adulation for In The Cage, probably better that you go and see one of those tribute bands that only play the old stuff, that's where all the old fans go.

Oh, and I do know what this thread is about, but we do allow responses and tangents.


Mon May 21, 2007 10:45 am

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:20 pm
Posts: 7
Post 
To pick up on Tulyar's point, I saw them twice in 1980 and he's nearly right... all my friends and I groaned when they launched into Say It's Alright Joe. Collins decided to do a full-on 'acting' job on it, donning a hat and old raincoat and putting in all these long pauses, plus it had this extended coda during which he staggered around the stage trying to light a cigarette. Oh god, did it drag on. The one glaring low point in a good show.

It's a shame to see people talking of 'crap' creeping into the sets post-1980. Fair do's if people don't like Abacab onwards, but I was sorry to see songs like Silver Rainbow and Another Record listed as ones they don't want to hear. I'd be delighted to hear either of those. More so than, say, (to pick some pre-1980 stuff) Snowbound, Mouse's Night or Robbery. They went through a phase of doing some very twee stuff and to be honest I find Whodunnit easier to swallow than the tweeness. So those 3 get my vote.


Last edited by Backdrifter on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed May 23, 2007 2:48 pm
Profile
Post 
It would be sublime if they played Silver Rainbow. I can't see it happening, though, as I think they've put this set list together based on listening to some of their old live albums, going for old dependables like...oh, I won't say as I don't want to spoil it for fans who don't know the set list yet.


Wed May 23, 2007 6:03 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:07 pm
Posts: 866
Location: New Jersey
Post 
If ya wanna go down that route, Just A Job To Do, or Taking IT All To Hard, and Silver Rainbow...just for the hell of it :D These are three of my favorite songs from "shapes"

_________________
~Dan

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"


http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com


Sat May 26, 2007 7:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Wales
Post 
Danlaw83 wrote:
If ya wanna go down that route, Just A Job To Do, or Taking IT All To Hard, and Silver Rainbow...just for the hell of it :D These are three of my favorite songs from "shapes"

None of those songs is particularly my favourite - I don't know how many years ago I last listened to side 2 of "Genesis" (or 'Mama' or 'Shapes' or whatever you want to call it!).
But I would love to hear any of those three on this tour, simply because they have not been played live before (I think anyway).

That is really my wish for the set list this time round - just a few surprises. I don't mind which era they play more of - I just would like something a little bit different from the WCD or CAS tours.


Tue May 29, 2007 4:11 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:07 pm
Posts: 866
Location: New Jersey
Post 
I truely do think that we will all go home happy after these shows. I can't wait.

_________________
~Dan

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"


http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com


Tue May 29, 2007 7:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:51 am
Posts: 3
Post 
"illegal alien"

i cant $%$%ing stand that song!!!!!!!


Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:07 pm
Posts: 866
Location: New Jersey
Post 
An EDITED version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

_________________
~Dan

After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"


http://www.prestonandsteverock.com
http://www.tonylayneshow.com


Wed May 30, 2007 6:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Wales
Post 
Danlaw83 wrote:
An EDITED version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

Is that what you do want or don't want? :?

I've just booked my ticket for the Dusseldorf Cinema Show - that's the closest I'm going to get to the tour, but it will still be great!


Wed May 30, 2007 8:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.