View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Wait Times implemented 
Site Admin

Post Wait Times implemented
Further to the discussion prior to Christmas, I have now implemented wait times. I don't feel that these are particularly harsh, and I'll amend them later if need be. At the moment, I just want to see how they pan out.

They are as follows;
A) Ratio less than 0.30 and/or upload below 1 GB, delay of 24Hrs
B) Ratio less than 0.40 and/or upload below 3 GB, delay of 12Hrs
C) Ratio less than 0.50 and/or upload below 5 GB, delay of 6Hrs
D) Ratio less than 0.70 and/or upload below 7 GB, delay of 2Hrs

TorrentAdmin

Last edited by spfunnell on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:11 pm
Profile WWW

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Johan

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Hmm, so why is it that the two torrents I was downloading overnight (two relatively small MATM ones) suddenly came to a halt, while my share ratio and volume are such that I shouldn't need to wait?

I'd say one of two things is going on:

1. The torrents just happened to be slow, slow peers/seeders
2. Some of my fellow peers suddenly had to 'wait' to join the torrent, so there are less active peers than normal, causing a terrible slowdown

This is actually the reason I am very much against this waiting scheme. If users are forced to wait to join a torrent, they can't add to my download speed either during that time, and that's bad.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:21 pm
Site Admin

I did some testing, and I found that only torrents added in the last 24 hours were affected by wait times. None of the MATM torrents fall into this category.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't. :roll:

UPDATE : To clarify, the wait time is the time since the torrent was first seeded that you have to wait. For example.
If a torrent is uploaded at 3pm, and your poor ratio requires you wait 12 hours, you will have to wait until 3am to download it.

Since 24 hours is the maximum amount of wait time I've set, any torrent upload more than 24 hours ago will NOT be affected by the waiting system.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Post Due to excessive leeching
I have looked at the leechers on two Torrents that I was ON ..1 seeding malaria concert and 1 leeching..Ray wilson..on both of these the average shows being torrented by the leechers was 13 each ..with exceptionally poor ratios and not getting better..looking at my Ray wilson torrent im currently uploading at 7% and downloading at 3...my ratio for upload/down is sitting at 2.91..+.86.as the ray show is 20% complete after 62 hours with no time to complete which means at this rate next xmas..

whats goin on...hows about limiting max torrents..

d

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:59 pm
Site Admin

Limiting the maximum number of torrents per user is not possible with this software. I'm not sure if any other torrent sites do that either.

Not a great deal I can do about people leeching a lot of torrents at the same time and their seeding speed is also restricted by thier bandwidth.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:48 pm
Profile WWW

It's rather frustrating, however, if you have nothing to seed but still have to wait 24 hours....... :(

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:09 pm

I really don't mind the wait but I don't know if this is happing on a file a try to download, so maybe you could help me....

A couple of days ago I started to download Phil Collins archives 4, now I have 80%, a couple of hours ago I got '10 error [errno 13] Permission denied'. So now I can't download this anymore, the strangest thing is that when I download these files again starting from scratch, I can download.

This is my situation 3.06 GB - ↑ 2.01 GB - Ratio : 0.66

If you could shed some light on this situation that would be great,

Edin.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:55 pm

Post The sense of it all...
Hi there, Just to continue on the subject of wait times, I think that the current system is quite fair, and on the whole, whats a maximum of 24 hours to wait in the long run. Just think of it as that in a days time (or less), you will begin downloading a new experience that you can enjoy for the rest of your life, it aint that long really - the 24 hours that is! The only problem with it is that not a lot of people are uploading what I have downloaded and its not really helping my ratio. I am connected 24/7 at the moment but it seems that I'm downloading the files nobody else needs or wants. Besides that, having to wait for a bit lets the others that dont have to wait be able to download the torrent a bit faster due to the higher bandwidth available, which in turn leads to them finishing it quickly and becoming seeders themselves, thereby ultimately alowing the waiters a faster and more efficient download when it becomes their turn. Of course this is on the proviso that the privelaged no wait leechers leave their computers on and connected to allow this to happen. Just a thought.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]