View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Seperating WAV files? 

Post Seperating WAV files?
After downloading a few of Tom's works, I just wanted to know if I could seperate the WAV files from the CUE sheets and just use those to burn the CD. Does that work just as well as using the CUE sheet?

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Post Re: Seperating WAV files?
You have several options:

1. Burn a CD from Tom's full-length .wav file and Tom's CUE file.

2. Burn a CD from Tom's full-length .wav file, without using any CUE file. (Be sure to select "no pause between tracks" in your CD-burning software.)

3. Break up the .wav file into several shorter .wav files, and create a new CUE file for these new files. Then burn a CD from these new .wav files and the new CUE file.

4. Break up the .wav file into several shorter .wav files. Then burn a CD from these new .wav files, without using any CUE file. (Be sure to select "no pause between tracks" in your CD-burning software.)

If you create a CD using any of these methods, and play it with your eyes closed, they will sound 100% identical. If you open your eyes, you will see different track numbers, minutes, and seconds in your CD player's display. So if you care about track numbers -- or you ever use the "skip to next track" / "skip to previous track" buttons with your CD player -- then the differences become important.

I use Exact Audio Copy to break up my .wav files. Select Tools --> Split WAV By CUE Sheet --> With Gaps (or With Gaps Corrected) and it will break up the .wav files, and also produce a new CUE file. You can then use method # 3 or # 4 above to burn it. EAC can only burn to a limited number of CD writers, so after I use EAC to break up the .wav files, I use ImgBurn to actually burn the CD.

Here is how the track numbers and track length end up in each method. Suppose that Track 7 is "Harlequin", 4:00 of music. Suppose that Track 8 is "The Musical Box", 10:00 of music. Between these tracks, Peter speaks to the audience for 45 seconds.

• If you use method # 1 with Tom's CUE file, Peter's stage announcement appears as a negative number -- after track 7 reaches 4:00, your counter changes to Track 8, negative 0:45, and counts down to zero. So the annoucement is sort of "hidden" between tracks 7 and 8; you only hear it if you play these two tracks in order.
  • If you use method # 4 and choose "With Gaps", the announcement is attached to the end of Track 7 (which will now be 4:45 in length).
  • If you use method # 4 and choose "With Gaps Corrected", the announcement is attached to the beginning of Track 8 (which will now be 10:45 in length, with the announcement first and then the song beginning at 0:45).
  • If you use method # 4 and choose "Individual Indices", the announcement becomes its own track: Track 7 will be 4:00, Track 8 will be 0:45 (the annoucement), and Track 9 will be "The Musical Box", 10:00. Notice that this means your track numbers will no longer match those on the CD artwork!
  • If you use method # 3, you will get the exact same results as # 1. It doesn't matter whether you select "With Gaps", "With Gaps Corrected", or "Individual Indices", because you are still using a CUE file that EAC has created to exactly match the results of method # 1.
  • If you use method # 2, the entire CD will just contain one huge track. This is probably a bad idea, because it means you won't be able to use your "jump to next track" or "jump to previous track" buttons.

But no matter which of these you choose, the CD will sound identical if you just put it in, press Play, and listen to the whole thing.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 am

Post Re: Seperating WAV files?
Thanks very much! I have always put burning the TM remasters on hold until I could figure this all out. Thanks babylon5.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]