View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What does "hammering a torrent" mean? 

Post What does "hammering a torrent" mean?
While downloading, using uTorrent, the Roma Steve Hackett LDB torrent from the Movement site, I then went to Dime and pointed the Dime torrent to the same folder. The tracker status at Dime changed to "not authorized. Do not hammer ...with multiple announcements." I paused the Movement torrent, as it was slower than Dime's, and the tracker status changed to "working".

I tried a google search on hammering, and only received results for torrents by groups with hammer in the name (Mc Hammer, etc.)

Comments, advice, criticisms?

Thanks, Bill

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:49 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: What does "hammering a torrent" mean?
If you're getting messages that you're hammering the tracker, it usually indicates that your client is trying to update the tracker too often. Generally (speaking of this tracker anyway), the tracker is updated by the client every 30 minutes. However, if you try and update too often, the tracker complains that too many updates are being attempted, hammering. This is frowned upon as it causes excessive load on the tracker.

The multiple announcements bit will be because you had The Movement and Dime both running on the same torrent so it sees both websites in the update information.

Cheers
SImon

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: What does "hammering a torrent" mean?
I get that message on uTorrent in Dime too. It happens when I first a torrent and will stay for a few minutes, then it changes to working, but it doesn't stop the torrent from up/down loading so I tend to ignore it. I've never noticed it with any other trackers, only Dime.

Cheers,
Chris

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]