View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Tech Question - Strategies 4 off hdd storage of d/loads 

Post Tech Question - Strategies 4 off hdd storage of d/loads
The inevitable is happening. My approach to storing the torrents I've downloaded has been to save them to Network Attached Storage (NAS). As folks request re-seeds, I simply add it back. Generally there's no problem. On occasion there is a torrent that will re-seed at 99.9%. Still, better than not re-seeding.

I recall seeing messages/shouts/whatever, that lead me to conclude I can burn the video torrents to a dvd, keep the actual torrent on the NAS, then simply add back the various VOB, IFO, etc. files from the burned DVD. I also recall this does not work well for audio only data.

What might I have wrong? How do you handle storing large amounts of data? It's 2010, no doubt in another year or 2 storage will get even cheaper, so I know this is a somewhat transitory question, but I'm interested in how others manager their large collections of torrents.

Thanks,
Bill

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Post Re: Tech Question - Strategies 4 off hdd storage of d/loads
I use multiple NAS to store all the torrents.
I usually don't "burn" because it takes a lot of space.
It costs a lot and, yes, I know NAS will get much cheaper in a few years.
But some torrents lose the seeders and it's very hard to retrieve such an old torrent, you know :wink:
Store it while you can :)

ketcha

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Bill,

I have to admit I'm a burner! As I type, I'm burning shows onto CD and will do the art for them later. My PC has 3 internal HDDs attached 200Gb for system and programs, 500Gb for Phil Collins, Steve Hackett etc and 1Tb for Genesis. I had another one (120Gb) which was used for Videos, but that one died and I'm grateful now that I had burned them onto DVD else I would've lost them. This is my main reason for burning - fear of the drive failing. Another reason is I'm lucky enough to have a very large loft and I can lay the shows out in date order by tour which makes it easy for me to find shows when I'm trading, or uploading. Plus of course I like to be able to see and appreciate my collection as it grows.
I do also have a number of audio shows on DVD as FLAC and SHN files, but I just find it takes too long to look through them to find what I want.

Cheers,
Chris

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I use 3 x 500 Gb external HDs. I, like Chris like to burn mine to CD.
I keep as much as I can on the hard drives and seed as much as I can. Recently I changed PCs, It has 1 x 500GB internal HD which is used for systems, program etc
So I have not had the time to add everything back.(there are four members of my family so I cant hog the PC all the time) I hope to add another HD…possibly a 1 TB.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I have a small external 350GB drive but backup to data DVDs. I store the Genesis related discs in their own 100 disc wallet (not a completist). I always expect the hard drive to crash within two years.

- question about the 99% seeding. Is that because of a missing text file or the db file that windows sometimes adds?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Post Do you run into difficulties when you re-seed?
Thanks for all the replies. :band:

For those that burn rather than keeping on HDD or similar, aren't there difficulties when you re-seed? I guess there isn't a problem if you create a new torrent, but I've been reluctant to go that route, preferring to re-seed the original torrent. I thought I had read some place that for video torrents, adding the data back from a DVD was no problem. For audio, there is something in the checking mechanism that prevents adding back to the original torrent. Do I have this wrong?

Bill

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 pm

You're right about video torrents. Ripping the DVD and matching the files with the torrent works ok. There may of course be some artwork to get, but VOBs etc should be ok.

For audio, it's harder. I tend to keep the files on HDD as well as burning to CD, so I can reseed that way. Ripping from CD and reseeding is much harder and seldom works (unless I'm doing something wrong). I'm sure there must be a way of doing it, and if so I'd like to know how..

So I have 2 copies of a lot of shows - HDD and CD/DVD.

Chris

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 pm

I have two 1tb external drives, which are synced, ie, identical to each other for security (I lost a 1tb drive in a big crash last year and lost everything). I keep one drive in another location so there's less chance of loss from fire, theft, etc. One drive is always attached to my computer and if I want to seed a show I do so from there.

I only occasionally burn dvds so that I can watch them on my TV/surround sound system. I used to burn everything to cd/dvd but realised that burnt discs generally aren't as dependable as harddrives.

I've had no problem seeding dvds that I've copied from disc, though apparently proper DVD-A can cause problems. A recent dimer could only distribute an audio-dvd as a .ISO file for it to work successfully.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still mulling over what to do. I'm posting another, related topic re generic torrent names.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]