View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Fanedit of Seconds Out: Une Autre! 

Post Fanedit of Seconds Out: Une Autre!
I'd just like to mention a little thing I made over the last few months that (IMHO) greatly improves on the Seconds Out album. It includes all the official live material from 1976 and 1977 as well as some bootleg recordings carefully matched to the album sound. I think it's now a more faithful representation of a true Genesis show. I've restored many songs not on the original album, and most importantly, put all of Phil's banter back, as well as Mike and Steve's intros. This gives it a personality that the sterile album layout lacks.

I know this is unpostable here because it's made from about 60% official material so of course I won't even try. I just wanted to let you know that it's now available on public trackers that I won't mention, matey. Because of the rather anonymous nature of these sites I really don't get any knowledgeable feedback on my work, so I came to you here to see what you think of how I "fixed" their record. Anyone who is familiar with my work both in concert sharing and in my expanded and resequenced posts on public trackers will tell you this was made with care, respect and love. Track it down and check it out.

Here's the notes I wrote for it.

Genesis
Une Autre!
an expansion of Seconds Out

As is my specialty, I've decided that Seconds Out was not an accurate representation of Genesis' late 70s tours, so I decided to make it better. A few soundboard bootlegs were used to add tracks previously omitted, as were the Archive box set and the bonus tracks on Three Sides Live.

This album is not complete in that it doesn't contain all the songs played on the 1976 and 1977 tours. Although all the songs are available on excellent sounding bootlegs, they are all mixed nearly in mono, and tracks taken from them would have stood out from the stereo mixes on the album itself and several of the other sources. I've chosen, therefore, to stick to the songs that are mixed sympathetically, using radio shows as the basis for the bonus tracks. Although I wanted to, in the end I didn't include Fly on a Windshield from the In Concert video because it didn't have a definitive beginning, and the end was attached to Carpet Crawlers, a song I wanted as a standalone in order to include the spoken intro.

Shows used to add music to this are Rainbow Theatre January 2, 1977 and Hammersmith June 10, 1976 as well as the Archive 2 and Three Sides Live CDs. Shows used to add dialogue between the tracks, including Phil's stories, are Cleveland April 15, 1976, Hammersmith June 10, 1976, Chicago February 16, 1977, Southampton January 20, 1977 and San Francisco March 25, 1977. These shows are of varying quality and a lot of work was done to make them fit with each other and the album altogether. Some limitations are evident in Phil's stories as the hiss changes a bit depending on how the dialogue was edited together, and the hiss level is higher during the dialogue sections than the music. NR was used sparingly to try to resuscitate these sections, but too much only damaged the tonal characteristics. I've chosen to leave some of the hiss for this reason.

01 Squonk
02 One From the Vine
03 The story of Harry
04 Robbery, Assault & Battery
05 Carpet Crawlers
06 The Cinema Show
07 White Mountain
08 All In A Mouse's Night
09 Firth of Fifth
10 Entangled w/ intro
11 ...In That Quiet Earth
12 Afterglow
13 I Know What I Like
14 Eleventh Earl Of Mar
15 the story of Romeo and Juliet
16 Supper's Ready
17 Dance on a Volcano
18 Drum Duet
19 Los Endos

Encore:

20 The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
21 The Musical Box (closing section)
22 It/Watcher of the Skies

BTW, anyone not wanting to use publicly tracked torrents that is interested in this just PM me and I'll find a way to get it to you

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 am

Post Re: Fanedit of Seconds Out: Une Autre!
Hi }{eywood,
thanks a lot for your work,
it is indeed a very cool new edit.
I would like to know more about the sources used for the missing track and what had been done to them.

Three tracks stand out of the mix to me: "white mountain", "...in that quiet earth" and "Entangled".

After checking them both, I had discovered that "white mountain" is indeed taken from the TM remaster of hammersmith 76 (only not as good as i remembered it).
However, if "...In that quiet earth" is from TM Rainbow 77, then something weird has been done to the left chanel.

For "entangled", you used the the take on "archive2", instead of the one from "Genesis in concert 76" (LPCM track can be found on the bonus DVD from the remixed "a trick of the tail" as you may know).
This choice seems to be the best (at least it has been mixed by the same engineer, nick davis), but the level are to "hot", compared to other "half-acoustic" numbers as "the cinema show" (difference in volume between the "quiet/acoustic" part and the instrumental/melltron and moog heavy" part).

Concerning "Eleventh Earl Of Mar" and "All In A Mouse's Night", Have you considered the use these versions ?:

http://torrent.genesis-movement.org/tor ... er=1014986

The remaster may be questionable compared to TM's one, but the uploader seems to have access to better quality sources/tapes.

As for the non-inclusion of "fly on a windhield", you may have used the begining from TM' Hammersmith 76, but it would have been a little weird outside of the "lamb cotelette" suite (The lamb lies down/Fly on/carpet crawlers), so no regret about it.

Anyway, all in all a great job, especialy concerning the way you give life to the stage banters.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]