View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hope This Fits...(Drumming Along) 

Post Hope This Fits...(Drumming Along)
Anybody out here in Genesis Movement land drummers? I am a comparative novice but am working hard to play along to them as practice. Started out with "Abacab" and "Turn It On Again", I have since moved on to things like "Squonk", "Los Endos", the "In the Cage" Medley, and "Ballad of Big".
Anybody out there drummers with suggestions or favorite parts? Thanks!

Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 am

Post Re: Hope This Fits...(Drumming Along)
Nice to see another drummer on the forum! I've been drumming for 4 years now and I must say that some of your song choices are a bit off the chart for a novice. A song I recommend for you to practice, would be "No Son of Mine". Simple drum beat (3/4) and it's one of the first ones I started practicing.

The songs I find fun to drum to would be "Dance on a Volcano", "Los Endos", "Turn It on Again", "Mama", "Cinema Show" (instrumental), and "Land of Confusion".

If you want a real challenge, then go for the 1986 "Cage" medley (Cage/..In That Quiet Earth.../ Supper's Ready (from Apocalypse in 9/89). I tried this and failed......epically. Can't seem to get the last half of "Earth" down. If you want another good song to try, then go for "Dodo/Lurker", the live version from Abacab. Probably one of the best songs to practice with.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Hey Legal Beagle. I haven't tried "No Son of Mine" yet, but, I love the Seconds Out version of "Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos", it's great practice and just a lot of fun to play. What else did you find "off the chart?" I played "Squonk", "Ballad of Big", "Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos" and "Afterglow" (from Seconds Out) to an audience not long ago and they enjoyed it!
"Ballad of Big" has complicated bridge sections (I hope that's the right term) which I'm still trying to nail down, but, when you break it all down outside of that, I don't find it that hard. Hi-Hat intro, rolling Snare, the complicated part (which is a mix of ride, toms, and snares, just hard to keep up with) and then it feels like a typical drum line. Lots of people bash "Ballad of Big", and I don't get why.
Speaking of Los Endos, ever try Steve Hackett's version of it? THat's fun. ;)
Thanks for the thoughts.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:31 am

The opening to Ballad of Big is great. Somehow, I can't get past the rolling snare part. I've been trying to nail that for a few years. It is kind of off the chart due to complexity, but it's fun to try out hard songs first and see where you can go to from there :)

I have tried the Steve Hacket version of Los Endos. Actually two of them. One from 1976 (which is a few measures more that what it originally was) and Steve's solo version. Both are very fun and are always onces that I practice.

Have you tried Red Rain from Peter Gabriel? I'm going to start trying out this song soon and just wanted to know if you've had any problems with it.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

legalbeagle wrote:
The opening to Ballad of Big is great. Somehow, I can't get past the rolling snare part. I've been trying to nail that for a few years. It is kind of off the chart due to complexity, but it's fun to try out hard songs first and see where you can go to from there :)

I have tried the Steve Hacket version of Los Endos. Actually two of them. One from 1976 (which is a few measures more that what it originally was) and Steve's solo version. Both are very fun and are always onces that I practice.

Have you tried Red Rain from Peter Gabriel? I'm going to start trying out this song soon and just wanted to know if you've had any problems with it.

Hey. I'm not a Peter fan, actually. So, I haven't tried any of his stuff. The solo version of Los Endos I tried is from Somewhere over South America. It's a lot of work to keep up with. (Makes me want to ice my hands, LOL.)
IN the Cage is a lot of fun to play. I've been playing the '07 Version. I find that the trickiest parts are the crash-tom rolls in Cinema Show and tom/snare fills at the end of Cinema Show, especially when you're only 1 drummer.
BTW-Nice trade list. ;)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:24 am

BXXile4 wrote:
BTW-Nice trade list. ;)

If you want anything just let me know :)

I like the 1978 version of Cinema Show. My favorite 1978 show is Chicago Uptown Theater. It is a bit hard the 2007 version with the rolls near the end, but I find that fun to do.

Steve's version of Los Endos has actually made my hands so sweaty that my sticks left my hands. I guess I need to turn it down :p

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Hey, you ever do "Afterglow" or "Behind the Lines"? As I may have mentioned, I do the Seconds Out version of "Afterglow" (and the Live in '07 version, with the rest of In the Cage), and I find that Seconds Out is a lot of fun and full of life. I often use it as my "closer", that is, the last thing I play during a practice session. The variations on the Tom/Crash Fills are a lot of fun.
You do any of Phil's solo stuff at all?

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:18 pm

"Afterglow" was the very first song I ever learned, so I always start out with that for practice. I usually will do any virsion of it. I'm more partial to the version from Sao Paulo 1977. It seems a lot better then the rest if you ask me.

I have done some of Phil's solo stuff. "I Don't Care Anymore" is a great song to practice with. IF you ever do this song, which I'm sure you have, get the live 1994 version from the GMex center. It's absolutely amazing! I also do the "Can't Hurry Love/Two Hearts" medley from his live shows. I usually do the one from the 1990 tour since the gap is not as long. It's actually shorter, to my ears anyway.

So what songs do you usually practice with?

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:00 am

I practice a lot to "Seconds Out"-"Squonk", "Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos", and "Afterglow". That's a typical "session" for me, or some variation therein, plus or minus a few more items. Depends on how long I have to practice. I really love "Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos". There's a lot to do, drum wise. I love playing the rolling toms in the Drum Duet section and transitioning into "Los Endos." :bounce: I think I mentioned most of the rest of the ones I practice to, like "Ballad of Big", "Behind the Lines", "In the Cage Medley ('07)", "In the Air Tonight", and "Turn It On Again". Next on my to-do list (after expanding my kit a bit) are "Burning Rope", "Deep in the Motherlode", and, "In the Cage (from Three Sides Live)." I was doing "Abacab" for a while (the 4 minute radio cut) and Steve Hackett's version of "Los Endos", but I haven't done those in a while. I should pick them back up. I find that "Squonk" is a good one to warm up to. Not a lot in my repertoire, but, I'm trying to get the ones that I "know" right.
I'll keep you appraised of my progress. :mrgreen: :gathering:

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:01 pm

That seems pretty good. Typically, I don't do anything much from Seconds Out, as I've never really found it in good quality. I usually get some SBDs from the W&W tour and jam to those for as long as I can.

I also put myself in little "sets" every time I go to practice. The only thing close to drums that I have now, is practice set (i.e, not a real drum set, but close enough). Hopefully, I'm going to get one sometime next year :)

Usual set:

Mama
No Son
11th Ear of Mar
Squonk
Home By the Sea
2nd Home
Cinema Show/Duke's Travels/Afterglow (from 2007)
Los Endos (Genesis version. Preferably live from 1986/87)
Los Endos (Steve Hackett version)
In that Quiet Earth
Afterglow

So, I'm pretty busy when it comes to a usual set for me. Usually, I never drum to a song over 6 and a half minutes, but on the rare occasion, I'll have a go at it.

Wed May 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Hey whats a good set of noise cancelling headphones so you can listen to albums and play along, without the drums being overbearing? I need a setup like that and have no idea how to go about because im a guitarist lol.

Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 am

legalbeagle wrote:
That seems pretty good. Typically, I don't do anything much from Seconds Out, as I've never really found it in good quality. I usually get some SBDs from the W&W tour and jam to those for as long as I can.

I also put myself in little "sets" every time I go to practice. The only thing close to drums that I have now, is practice set (i.e, not a real drum set, but close enough). Hopefully, I'm going to get one sometime next year :)

Usual set:

Mama
No Son
11th Ear of Mar
Squonk
Home By the Sea
2nd Home
Cinema Show/Duke's Travels/Afterglow (from 2007)
Los Endos (Genesis version. Preferably live from 1986/87)
Los Endos (Steve Hackett version)
In that Quiet Earth
Afterglow

So, I'm pretty busy when it comes to a usual set for me. Usually, I never drum to a song over 6 and a half minutes, but on the rare occasion, I'll have a go at it.

Hey...Sorry for the delay, did you ever try the other "In the Cage" Medley from the Invisible Touch Tour (Just with In That Quiet Earth) Fellow posted a rocking version on YouTube and "In that Quiet Earth" looks like a LOT of fun, if not profoundly complicated, especially with those splash cymbal notes.
I never thought of 11th Earl of Mar as a drummer's delight, if you will, but, with the cymbal intros, it seems to make sense. I have to listen to it again.
One last thought-Do you play along to Phil and Bruford at all?

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:15 am

I've never really took any interest in Bruford. As good as a drummer he is, I just can't seem to put a finger on it as to how I can't really catch up with him. I think the only one song I did with Bruford on drums would be "Fly on a Windshield" from the Hammersmith Odeon 1976 show. I think that's one of the best instrumental drumming sections from any Genesis song.

Believe it or not, I have tried In That Quiet Earth from the other Cage medley for the IT tour. I didn't find it as fun as the 1986 one, as it went right into Apocalypse 9/8, which I found astounding. 11th Earl of Mar has a realy good intro and overall great sound. I've always loved that song, as it is one of the first Genesis songs I heard.

P.S, send me that YT link to that video. Sounds pretty good and I might give it a watch ;)

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:51 pm

Hello there you two/three...I am relatively new to this forum and have been catching up with some of the topics and threads and came accross this one about my favourite subject...DRUMS!
Hope you don't mind me joining in...?
I've been drumming for just up to 23 years and my interest with Genesis began when a friend would come around with the videos of TSL and the MAMA TOUR...I've been hooked ever since! I soon got myself Seconds Out and then 3 sides and I have to say they are in my top 10 of fave albums to play along to. Would highly recommend DODO as you say...and well lots really...CINEMA SHOW poss my fave although the whole of SUPPER'S READY used to get me going.
I love the tricky stuff but also got off on stuff with the mega solid beats such as ABACAB/TIOA and IKWIL...I really taught me how to lay it down.
I also used to love trying to pick out the drum machine patterns on DUCHESS too. I'd have bits of cowbells, blocks and chimy stuff that I would almost try to replicate most of the things they used to have...sadly I can't practice now as loud as I did when I was 15. Thanks for that mum!
Ged.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Gedibear wrote:
Hello there you two/three...I am relatively new to this forum and have been catching up with some of the topics and threads and came accross this one about my favourite subject...DRUMS!
Hope you don't mind me joining in...?
I've been drumming for just up to 23 years and my interest with Genesis began when a friend would come around with the videos of TSL and the MAMA TOUR...I've been hooked ever since! I soon got myself Seconds Out and then 3 sides and I have to say they are in my top 10 of fave albums to play along to. Would highly recommend DODO as you say...and well lots really...CINEMA SHOW poss my fave although the whole of SUPPER'S READY used to get me going.
I love the tricky stuff but also got off on stuff with the mega solid beats such as ABACAB/TIOA and IKWIL...I really taught me how to lay it down.
I also used to love trying to pick out the drum machine patterns on DUCHESS too. I'd have bits of cowbells, blocks and chimy stuff that I would almost try to replicate most of the things they used to have...sadly I can't practice now as loud as I did when I was 15. Thanks for that mum!
Ged.

Thanks for joining us. "Cinema Show" IS complicated, just playing the excerpts on the "In the Cage" requires a lot of precision and practice! "Abacab" and "TIOA" also were the first ones I started with, after getting good with those, I graduated up to "Squonk", "Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos" (my favorite), and eventually, "Behind the Lines" and "In the Cage."
Ever try any of the stuff from ATTW3? Having practiced "Ballad of Big" for a while, I think Phil played two drum tracks during the bridges. If you listen closely, you can rolling toms, the ride bell, and snare fills. I don' t think its physically possible to play that all at once, so, I do something a bit like Phil's part in "Behind the Lines/Duke's Intro". (I could be wrong though.)

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next