View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Audience sourced Mama shows 

Post Audience sourced Mama shows
Ok, ok, so there's no point being a big baby and holding out for a complete Mama tour SBD, FM or Pre-FM. :baby:
I'm going to stop 'waiting by the phone' and instead listen to a A- audience recording. There are quite a few in the database. If there's one must-have, what would it be? Is there a consensus? What are everyone's favorites?

dR

Fri May 23, 2008 10:07 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Audience sourced Mama shows
Ok, I can't give you any decisive answer on this, but I can give you some input.

First off, none of the audience recordings from the Mama tour are generally aclaimed of being of great quality. There are a lot of A- shows, but they generally all suffer from one of two problems: Either audience noice is significant, or the recording is moderately distorted (canny sound). I guess the reason for this is that the band generally played larger venues on this tour, which makes good recordings difficult to obtain. Either, people record from close to the stage (better sound, but more audience noise) or from a distance, possible from above the floor crowd, giving lower audience levels, but less true sound. Either way, there are no Marquee club recordings from this tour. :no:

That being said, the recent 1st generation recording from:

20-02-84: Oakland Coliseum,

is among the better I've heard in terms of sound quality. It's not yet listed in the Live Database, but it's being torrented here - it's not quite what I'd call an A rated recording, but it's a good A-.

However, in this discussion, I'd like to turn things around a bit: We have three or four major sources of live FM/SDB recordings from this tour (Philadelphia x 2, Los Angeles, Birmingham) covering pretty much the same parts of the set: Dodo/Lurker, Abacab, That's All, Mama, Illegal Alien, Home By The Sea, Keep It Dark / It's Gonna Get Better, In The Cage / medley / Afterglow, Drum Duet / Los Endos, Misunderstanding, Turn It On Again. Between them, that's actually pretty close to the complete set, the only songs not covered being: Old Medley(s), Carpet Crawlers, Man On The Corner, Who Dunnit, Follow You, Follow Me; and then the song intros. With exception of the Old Medley (and the intros), all of these songs have been played on previous tours.

If you're looking for a bootleg to compliment your Mama tour selection, you might wanna look into bootlegs including these tracks. That cuts things down a lot, as the set-list was shortened quite a lot during the tour, actually leaving out almost all these tracks (except Follow You, Follow Me and the old medley) by the end of the tour. As Carpet Crawlers was scraped from the setlist as early as 13th December 1983, you can narrow the field down to recordings before this date if you want one show featuring *all* the tracks. From this periode, there are only two A- rated recordings: Madison Square Garden 18-11-83 (incomplete) and Greensboro Coliseum 11-12-83. The:

11-12-83: Greensboro Coliseum, Coaster Factory Remaster

gets high sound ratings, so if you're looking for a complete show, that's probably a good place to start. I think I downloaded this show once without being blown back by the sound of it, but it's a start.

There's one more thing you should take into account, however: The Old Medley changed a lot during this tour. To be more specific, the Medley evolved like this:

06-11-83 - 08-11-83: Eleventh Earl Of Mar (including 1st verse!) - Ripples - Squonk - Firth Of Fifth.
10-11-83 - 13-01-84: Eleventh Earl Of Mar - Squonk - Firth Of Fifth.
15-01-84 - 25-01-84: Eleventh Earl Of Mar - Behind The Lines - Firth Of Fifth - The Musical Box.
29-01-84 - 29-02-84: Eleventh Earl Of Mar - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Firth Of Fifth - The Musical Box.

Thus, the second and fourth medley are pretty common, whereas the first and third medleys both a quite rare. Thus, if you *really* want to make your collection from this tour complete, you might wanna look into these two shows:

07-11-83: Horton Field House - includes Ripples medley and also early set-list and stories.
25-01-84: Lakefront Arena, New Orleans - good sounding recording, includes very nice performance of the Behind The Lines medley.
These two shows, along with the Oakland and Greensboro shows mentioned above, will give you all four medleys played on the tour.

Hope this helps. :music:

Sat May 24, 2008 12:07 am

Wow!
I am HIGHLY impressed by your detailed knowledge on this subject!

Sat May 24, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks Kasper,I shall start hunting straight away. :) And thanks dR for starting the disscusion. :)

Sat May 24, 2008 9:40 am

Nothing here you can't find out by going through the Live Database. :wizard: Btw. I noticed one correction to above, Carpet Crawlers made it's way back into the set from second UK date and onwards (26th - 29th of febuary 1984). :cool2:

Sat May 24, 2008 9:56 am

kaspergm wrote:
Nothing here you can't find out by going through the Live Database. :wizard: Btw. I noticed one correction to above, Carpet Crawlers made it's way back into the set from second UK date and onwards (26th - 29th of febuary 1984). :cool2:

Kasper, you amaze me with your Genesis Knowledge. You really are the human version of the data base. :lol: :thumbsup: :w00t:

Sat May 24, 2008 11:48 am

Wow, Kaspergm, that is one helluva description! Much much appreciated! I bet you know more about these gigs than the band - you should go and work for them: 'Boot Liaison Management Officer'

:D

dR

Sun May 25, 2008 7:45 am
Profile WWW

davidraphael wrote:
Wow, Kaspergm, that is one helluva description! Much much appreciated! I bet you know more about these gigs than the band - you should go and work for them: 'Boot Liaison Management Officer'

dR

HaHahha......Oh by the way Kasper ....MR is looking for you...... :band: Something to do with the SDB project. :lol:

Joking aside. You would be the ideal person. :cool1: :thumbsup:

Sun May 25, 2008 8:29 am

Not that I wouldn't be happy to oblige to the position ... but there are others around who know more than I do, believe it or not. :roll: However, they only need to write one word, and I'd be willing to leave for the farm to listen all the recordings through to find the best ones. :mrgreen:

Sun May 25, 2008 1:32 pm

I'd better come with you to the Farm, just in case you get lost or your ears get tired from listening to too many shows. :wink:

Incidentally, if it's any help, I know a farmer who looks after the farm. With water clear, he cares for all his harvest.

dR

Mon May 26, 2008 9:29 am
Profile WWW

davidraphael wrote:
I'd better come with you to the Farm, just in case you get lost or your ears get tired from listening to too many shows. :wink:

Incidentally, if it's any help, I know a farmer who looks after the farm. With water clear, he cares for all his harvest.

dR

Hahahah...........Count me in..I really do know where the farm is....I live in Surrey! :wink: :cool1:

Tue May 27, 2008 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]