View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 TLLDOB cassette 

Post TLLDOB cassette
hi, just been looking through my collection of old genesis vinyl albums and cassette tapes. i've noticed that the tape version of the lamb has silent sorrow in empty boats on the 1st side after the carpet crawlers. has anyone else noticed this?

paul bower

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:24 am

Post Re: TLLDOB cassette
Yes.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 am

a man of few words, lol. thanks for the reply, glad i'm not on my own. was silent sorrow ever performed live after carpet crawlers or did they move it to the second half?

Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Yeah, mines the same, I had noticed it, but forgot all about it, as i have'nt played the tape since..........about 1982..(when i stopped buying tapes) I have no idea why this was done,and it was annoying when playing. I have all the Genesis tapes from Tresspas -Abacab,(have'nt played any of them for years) and none of the others have tracks in the wrong order.

The other question you ask about silent sorrow. TLLDOB was played from beginning to end, in the right running order, as the (vinyl)album,on the Lamb tour......And silent sorrow was only ever performed on The Lamb tour.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:17 pm

I assume it was done to attempt to even up the lengths of the sides. I've seen it on albums by other artists - ELO albums on cassette are really jumbled, so that side one and side two are within seconds of each other!
(I suppose an extra 60 seconds-worth of tape adds up in cost over a large print-run! This was the 70s, after all.)

But for LLDOB I would guess that the different track order for cassette was done by the record company with no reference to the opinions of the band. I can't imagine Peter agreeing to it if asked. The track move they chose makes no sense at all - after all, "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats" is a kind of lament for the dead Lamia - the title is even a line from The Lamia - so it has to come immediately after The Lamia! :roll:

On a similar subject, I find it interesting that Peter chose to put In Your Eyes at the start of Side Two on the original release of So, because the sound quality is better at the outer edge of the vinyl record. I've never come across anyone commenting on that aspect of the track order before. And when the PG remasters came out he moved In Your Eyes to the end of the album, where he originally wanted it!

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:36 am

Tulyar wrote:
On a similar subject, I find it interesting that Peter chose to put In Your Eyes at the start of Side Two on the original release of So, because the sound quality is better at the outer edge of the vinyl record. I've never come across anyone commenting on that aspect of the track order before. And when the PG remasters came out he moved In Your Eyes to the end of the album, where he originally wanted it!

That is actually very interesting! I never knew of that difference in sound quality. Wonder if other artists did something similar? I never heard of such differences between LP and CD before - only that Dire Straits had much shorter versions of almost all their tracks on the LP release of Brothers In Arms compared to the CD, but that was only a question of making it fit I think.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:58 pm

@Squonkendos: There is another Genesis cassette variation - on my Nursery Cryme, The Fountain of Salmacis is the last track on side 1 and Hogweed is the last track on side 2.

Solo stuff: My Smallcreep's Day vinyl sides are flipped so that the contemporary release side 1 was originally side 2 on my vinyl...

dR

Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Profile WWW

While we're at it: Seconds Out 8-track is in completely weird running order! Look for yourselves:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENESIS-Stage-8-TRACK-TAPE-Still-SEALED_W0QQitemZ180290563643QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180290563643&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Same goes for And Then There Were Three 8-track:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENESIS-And-Then-There-Were-Three-8-track-tape-SEALED_W0QQitemZ200255934514QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200255934514&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177#ebayphotohosting

Three Sides Live casette is less weird, but switches sides so that Disc 1 and 4 is on A-side and disc 2 and 3 is on B-side:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENESIS-THREE-SIDES-LIVE-CASSETTE-TAPE-ALBUM-X_W0QQitemZ280251528469QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Btw. look up those Argentinian tapes with the track-titles translated. :lol:

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 pm

davidraphael wrote:
My Smallcreep's Day vinyl sides are flipped so that the contemporary release side 1 was originally side 2 on my vinyl...

dR

Actually, I think that's a problem with the CD. I believe the vinyl has the correct running order and some CDs got it backwards. I don't know whether my CD copy is correct or incorrect... I'll have to double-check. Some CDs were correct and others backwards, I think mine is okay because I used to have two different CDs of the album and would most likely have kept the correct one, even though the logo text isn't in the original font. As I recall, the one that has the correct type style on the cover (and the black "compact price" banner) has the sides reversed in the running order.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]