View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 WTT (TRADE) for pressed bootleg CDs/DVDs 

Post WTT (TRADE) for pressed bootleg CDs/DVDs
I barely ever listen to bootleg concerts, but with the compact disc fading into the twilight, I've developed a voracious appetite for pressed CDs in pro-quality packaging as long as the content is of some interest to me. I have never been one to spend money on boots, since I've been around the trading community since the days of the Paperlate mailing list, and the best stuff then, as now was "in the ether" so to speak. That makes me doubly reluctant to accumulate a lot of releases (Highland, etc.) that are inferior to what I could just download, but I've just had a love affair with optical media since it was first introduced. Also, my storage methods have become a lot more efficient, so I don't mind owning a lot of discs that may be redundant and superfluous (many of you may remember how much I dislike that).

I have actually started by buying some of the reissues of From Genesis To Revelation, even though I already have the fantastic EDSEL reissue, which to the best of my knowledge is the best one out there. My personal favorite (among the others) is "And The Word Was..." which I just got in the mail today. It was my very first exposure to FGTR, and the cover art actually looked like something that might have been released in 1969. One I'd still like to find again was released by DCC Compact Classics (and no, I don't mean "The Compact Collection", which is on the way to me soon). It's the one with the white cover and those incongruous pics of Phil and Steve on the cover. I used to have both ATWW... and the DCC version of FGTR, but "the great purge" back in '95/'96 left me without a lot of my "luxury items".

Anyway, back to the boots. I've really streamlined my CD storage, and like I said, with CDs going the way of the dinosaur, I'm stocking up. Once I start accumulating the pressed boots I may trade off some that I'm not too crazy about, but a lot of the ones I've seen look really cool. I just don't want to invest a wad of cash, so I'm here asking for trade offers. I've accumulated a ton of DVD-R boots, mostly pro-shot stuff like TV interviews, but also some camcorder concerts. I have a little bit of audio, but nothing that would probably be considered the definitive boot of any particular show. Being out of trading for a while I've lost track of my old trade list and have yet to put together a new one... given some time I'll get that done, but for now just send me your want lists and I'll try to fill in the gaps.

Funnily enough, I did see Dave's post when I came here to post this one, so I have already e-mailed him. I hope we can do some trading, but I'm sure some others out there might have stuff I would like. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the standard trade ratio is for pressed stuff? I was thinking maybe 2 burned for each pressed disc... fair? I am also interested in radio shows on CD, but I know that those can get expensive depending on what it is. Basically, if you've a lot of CDs that you already have in iTunes and don't really care about the packaging or you've found better versions here for download (not hard), then I would be very interested to talk to you about taking those pressed discs off your hands. I definitely still trade burned stuff, but for now my main interest is pressed, because it's all but new to me... I've never actually owned a single pressed CD boot, so I'd like to start now, and preferably avoid lining the pockets of the eBay profiteers in the bargain.

Thanks for reading this rambling mess... I have been gone for so long, and my Genesis interest has finally swung around to where I wanted to poke my head in again, and that coupled with my surge of CD collecting has kind of got me fired up about the whole thing. Can't wait to see what's out there!

Oh... and I have also started getting into mini-LPs and picture discs. In terms of mini-LPs, I'd rather not have the recent CD/DVD remixes, the Definitive Edition Remasters would be better, and I don't like rectangular gatefold packages like the PG remasters. To me, a mini-LP is square and is just like an LP jacket... a cardboard sleeve alone does not a mini-LP make. For picture discs, the field is wide open... CD pic discs are good, but I actually prefer the vinyl ones.

Okay, I'm really done now... sorry. Most of this diatribe belongs here, so please excuse the off-topic rambling about legit merchandise. I'm looking for both, and I know that people reading this section would have both, so just killing two birds with one stone here.

Cheers! :)

P.S. Even if you don't want to part with what you have, suggestions on boots, radio shows, FGTR reissues or picture discs that you'd recommend are welcome.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 am

Post Re: WTT (TRADE) for pressed bootleg CDs/DVDs
I hope you aren't offended if I reply to a tiny tangential comment rather than to the main question in your post:

dvdgenesis wrote:
I have actually started by buying some of the reissues of From Genesis To Revelation, even though I already have the fantastic EDSEL reissue, which to the best of my knowledge is the best one out there.

What is special about this release? The only one I listen to is the 1996 Disky release, because as far as I know it is the only place where the long version of "Image Blown Out" has ever been released.

Also, on "Image Blown Out" and "She's So Beautiful", Peter sounds as if he has a significant lisp. In all the books about Genesis I have read, I have never seen a mention of Peter having a lisp when he was young, so I am guessing that it's due to some kind of deterioration that the demo tapes suffered while sitting in Jonathan King's drawer for three decades.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:41 am

babylon5 wrote:
I hope you aren't offended if I reply to a tiny tangential comment rather than to the main question in your post:

dvdgenesis wrote:
I have actually started by buying some of the reissues of From Genesis To Revelation, even though I already have the fantastic EDSEL reissue, which to the best of my knowledge is the best one out there.

What is special about this release? The only one I listen to is the 1996 Disky release, because as far as I know it is the only place where the long version of "Image Blown Out" has ever been released.

Also, on "Image Blown Out" and "She's So Beautiful", Peter sounds as if he has a significant lisp. In all the books about Genesis I have read, I have never seen a mention of Peter having a lisp when he was young, so I am guessing that it's due to some kind of deterioration that the demo tapes suffered while sitting in Jonathan King's drawer for three decades.

Not at all... my undeserved reputation for being a bit "touchy" seems to have remained intact. ;)

Old recordings can potentially give the impression that the singer has a bit of a lisp, or perhaps he just grew out of it. He might have even been affecting a sort of lispy sound for some reason known only to him.

As for what makes the EDSEL release special, to me it's the fact that as far as I can tell, it most faithfully reproduces the front cover art, whereas most reissues don't use the same art at all and many don't even use the same title. I think there's a Japanese release (mini-LP?) that might have more of the original artwork on it, but for me, seeing the proper title in the proper place with the proper colors and the EDSEL logo where the DECCA logo would have been was enough for me.

The release is also nice for the bonus disc of demos, although Archive 1 sort of rendered those obsolete. I'm not familiar with the longer version of IBO, so I guess now I have to go ahead and buy the Disky release. With relatively recent releases of old material, I tend to worry about "brickwalled" audio, where they've pumped up the levels to compete with current recordings and lost all dynamic range and subtlety of the music.

I'm not sure if the EDSEL release I have is the one with the Jonathan King interview, or if that's some other release. I do know it has the second disc of demos, but again I don't know that any of the material isn't already covered on Archive 1.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:04 am

dvdgenesis wrote:
[color=#0000FF]I'm not familiar with the longer version of IBO, so I guess now I have to go ahead and buy the Disky release. With relatively recent releases of old material, I tend to worry about "brickwalled" audio, where they've pumped up the levels to compete with current recordings and lost all dynamic range and subtlety of the music.

Here is the short version of "Image Blown Out", as released on Archive Vol. 1. Peter's s's are a bit distorted, but they don't sound lisped.

Here is the long version, from the Disky release. Here the s's sound lisped.

The common part of the two recordings are so similar that I originally thought that the short version was just an edit of the long one. Now I suspect it's not. But without good equipment I don't know how to be sure; the YouTube versions have such radically different EQing that the piano sounds very different even though it does sound basically the same on the CDs.

The short version has structure A-C-a-C: verse, chorus, verse with different lyrics, chorus with the same lyrics as the first one. The long version is A-B-C-a-b-c: it has two extra bridges ("See them running..." and then "Friends are leaving me..."), and the second appearance of the chorus has brand new lyrics at the beginning ("Your minds have blown you out of step...") instead of just repeating the first lyrics ("Your bowler hats are turning green...").

I prefer the short version, because I find the music to the bridge unimpressive.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for the link to the longer Image Blown Out, Babylon5. Definitely a different recording - really interesting! :D
As for the 'lisp' - I would call it distortion on the s.
I remember there was once something called 'electronically enhanced stereo' (or something like that). It appeared on some cheap LPs in the early 70s, and probably before, when they were recorded in mono but made to sound stereo. And in my memory it always caused the s to sound like that. Not that I am saying this version of IBO has been given that electronic effect, but it is typical of the era.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Yes, thanks for those, B5... I just passed up a copy of the Disky release a few days ago. I'll have to go back and pick it up. I'd probably prefer the shorter version too (haven't listened to compare since I'm at work), but it'll be nice to have something different to justify buying yet another release of this album. Where The Sour Turns To Sweet just arrived today, and I hope to have the original "blue" release of The Compact Collection in my hands again soon, and I'll have at least one copy of the newer "purple" version to unload.

Er, Simon... guess you don't need my permission, but feel free to move this elsewhere since we're off on the FGTR tangent. Wasn't my original intent, but it is very exciting to have opened up discussion on something I thought we already knew all there was to know about. Guess all these redundant reissues aren't so boring after all! ;)

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:47 pm

I had to come back and post/brag about this... the original Castle release (blue cover) of The Compact Collection has arrived! :thumbsup:

Why am I so excited about this? Weellll... it all started when I saw "blind" (no image) listing on eBay and decided to take a chance. What arrived was some ugly purple-covered monstrosity from Festival Records that had the familiar photograph on the front, but was NOT the version I remembered. I couldn't find another one on eBay, so I asked all of the Amazon sellers which version they had (well, I asked the ones that didn't want $50 for it, anyway). All but three got back to me, and all but one of them indicated it was the Festival release. One seemed to indicate that she had the Castle version, though she wasn't too specific about it, but I took the leap and ordered.

I'll do everyone the courtesy of not describing in detail the ordeal with this young lady's capriciousness that held me in suspense for far longer than necessary, but suffice it to say that I ended up buying from the three sellers who ignored my question just to see if they might have the Castle version. This left me with no less than FOUR copies of the Festival release, and sadly rewarded those sellers who couldn't be bothered to answer a simple question. Sooo... if anyone would like a copy of the Festival release, I would be happy to trade the extras for whatever you might have that interests me.

Obviously this story has a happy ending, as I now have the Castle release in my possession. Funny to think that I initially got rid of it because the cover art was too close to And The Word Was..., but now it is SO nice to have both in my CD collection again. What can I say, I guess I'm regressing a bit. ;) I have to say I'm thinking of keeping one of the Festival CDs just for the heck of it (not that I have a choice... I'll probably be stuck with these for life), but that version really didn't "scratch my itch" so to speak, when it came to collecting multiple reissues of FGTR.

Thanks for indulging me in a humble brag and a bit of nostalgia. Sad to see the forum so inactive... any suggestions as to other areas (Facebook, discussion boards, etc.) where Genesis is still actively discussed? This will always be the best destination for information of course, and especially the unmatched Torrents section, but I'm sad to see that forum use continues to decline. Is the ning community still active? Never been much for the social networking thing, but if it's active it might be worth a try. Again, not a slight on The Movement at all... I love it here! :)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]