View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Audio Recording and/or DVD Ripping software 

Post Audio Recording and/or DVD Ripping software
Hi all,

I am in need of a software that can record audio to my computer (for instance as it plays from a DVD) or a software that can rip audio directly from a DVD (I have some concert DVDs where I'd like to transfer the soundtrack to my iPod). I used to use MagixCleaningLab, but something messed up the software so it no longer will recognize my sound card when I try to record, and I can't re-install, because I was stupid enough to buy a download version which now won't re-install ... grrrr. :rant:

Anyway, anybody who know some freeware that does a good job at one of both of above things?

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:36 am

Post Re: Audio Recording and/or DVD Ripping software
I like Audiograbber for recording through my sound card, e.g. recording streaming radio programmes, or from cassettes playing through the computer:
http://www.audiograbber.org/

However, I guess there is better software for directly ripping the audio from a DVD.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Hmm, that doesn't quite seem to work, first of all it only seems to recognize audio CDs and not DVDs, and secondly it seems like a ripping software more than a recording software - at least from the interface I get. :|

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm

On the top line go to File -> Line-in sampling
It brings up a new interface for recording... at least, that's how it works in the version I've got.

Then select 'mixer' to choose your input - if you're playing a DVD on your DVD software, select stereo mix (or something like that), and you should see the meter registering the sound. Press 'Record' and away you go! :)

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 am

Tulyar wrote:
On the top line go to File -> Line-in sampling
It brings up a new interface for recording... at least, that's how it works in the version I've got.

Then select 'mixer' to choose your input - if you're playing a DVD on your DVD software, select stereo mix (or something like that), and you should see the meter registering the sound. Press 'Record' and away you go! :)

It has the same problem as my MCL - it says it can't find any soundcard. :(

It seems the issue would be the driver for my soundcard then, and not the MCL as I thought. Hmm, anybody who know how I find out what soundcard I have in order to download a driver? It seems to work fine, and stupid windows tells me driver is up to date (but I don't trust windows to a hair), so I guess that'll be next step.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 am

kaspergm wrote:
Hmm, anybody who know how I find out what soundcard I have in order to download a driver? It seems to work fine, and stupid windows tells me driver is up to date (but I don't trust windows to a hair), so I guess that'll be next step.

Go to Control Panel, choose Administrative Tools, then Computer Management, then Device Manager, then in the list look under S for sound (in Windows 7 it's called "Sound, video, and game controllers"). It will show you your sound card(s) and devices. Double-click on the one you want (or right-click and choose Properties) and you'll get a Properties pop-up with multiple tabs. At that point you can find the make and model for it and then go to its website for a driver, or (in recent versions of Windows) you can click on the Driver tab and click on Driver Details to find out which driver is running, or click on Update Driver to find new drivers on the web.

On the other hand, if your computer is a common model (Dell, HP, whatever) and you are using Windows Update, then chances are high that you already have the latest driver.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 am

Chances are Windows autofinder wouldn't find a barn door if it was standing in front of it, but I'll give it another go when I'm back on my home computer, thanx for the help anyway.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]