View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Is That It? 

Post Is That It?
Thought I had asked this question a while back, but .....

What is the general consensus on the state of Genesis bootlegs? I've been collecting for, cripes, over 30 years, and the quality of the available recordings has improved dramatically over the past 10 years. Other than a few donations to things like this site, I've been the passive beneficiary of all the superb works of other folks in the broader community - a thousand thanks! Yet, the recent official demise of the board tapes project got me thinking about whether we would see any more unearthed gems, or whether that's it? Part of me would like to think that now the official project has been mothballed, some things might get leaked (like a full Mama soundboard)? Perhaps not enough people care anymore.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Post Re: Is That It?
I don't really understand how insider recordings (recording studio outtakes and concert soundboard recordings) get leaked. But my suspicion is that anything currently possessed by Nick Davis, or on Phil's big tape catalog, or in Ant Phillips' attic, will not be accidentally or surreptitiously released.

So if there are indeed Mama soundboards held by Nick Davis (and I have no idea whether that's the case), they will either be released officially someday, or not at all.

Of course, there are soundboard recordings and hi-fi audience recordings that might be in some fan's storage unit and could be released any day now. But why would that be? If they have this decades-old tape that fans want to hear, why didn't they release it ten or twenty years ago? My suspicion is that there aren't many gems still unheard out there. Maybe one or two, perhaps.

On the other hand, maybe there's a fan out there with a closet full of tapes that he has been putting off cataloging, and someday soon he'll retire and start going through "all that stuff". It would be cool for a treasure trove of old tapes to show up, analogous to the Mile High comic book collection.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Post Re: Is That It?
SimonE wrote:
Yet, the recent official demise of the board tapes project ...

I wasn't aware of there being an official demise?

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]