View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Happy 2012! 

Post Happy 2012!
Happy New Year to all! :D

I was wondering about any Genesis-related wish-lists people may have for 2012.
We already know about Steve's thing with Chris Squire, appallingly-named 'Squackett'...
and we already know Mike is touring with M&Ms...

Personally, I would like to see Peter draw a line under the New Blood thing at the end of 2011, and to see a new 'normal' album and tour. 'Us' was 1992, 'Up' 2002, so he is due another album in 2012!

As for Tony and Phil... I have no desire or real expectation of them doing anything, unless it was together. The 5-piece reunion is definitely out, but something that is still (just about) possible is a new album from Phil, Tony and Mike - I remember a long time ago Phil saying he would like to write and record with the other two again, possibly without the 'Genesis' tag.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Post Re: Happy 2012!
I'd 'quite' like to see another Seven style suite from Banks or perhaps a new (orchestrated) film soundtrack/score.

PGs New Blood didn't do it for me either. I'm not even that interested in an album of new material from him, unless it was completely out-of-the-blue like Passion, which, for me, might ultimately be my favourite post-Genesis work by him.

I'm not at all interested in any work by any of the others. In my personal opinion, PC and MR have only produced unoriginal, twee, cloying material for years (if not decades by now).
And I fear that the Squire/Hackett collaboration will be execrably dire.

I'm much more anticipatory of TM releases and other high-quality archival material.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 am
Profile WWW

Weren't there rumors of a second classical album from Tony? I haven't heard any hints of that recently. I liked parts of Seven, but I didn't feel that it built upon any of the classically related strengths he showed in 1970s Genesis. Keith Emerson's forays into classical do draw on his prog-rock strengths; if Tony did this it would be awesome.

I like Hackett a lot, although I still find about 50% of each of his albums to be forgettable. On the other hand, Squire's compositions in Yes have been unimpressive for at least two decades, and the Squackett song that Yes played on their 2008 tour was dreary.

Although my favorite PG solo work isn't the same as DavidRaphael's -- I think his greatest era was the Security era, which also includes about half of his third album plus "Red Rain", which not coincidentally was the only time he had a fixed, established band -- I agree with DR in not expecting any future great stuff from Peter. If it arrives, excellent.

And since I don't listen to M&tM or PC anymore, I don't care about them. I assume that if one of them (mirabile dictu) actually makes some great new music, I'll learn about it here and take a listen!

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:13 am

MAMA soundboards? I know it was probably just a hoax, but one can always dream. :santa:

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Quote:
MAMA soundboards? I know it was probably just a hoax, but one can always dream.

Yep, I agree. Considerable time has passed since the ETA so I'm not sure how likely it is that we'll see them.
Has anyone heard of anyone else owning the previously mentioned mama boards? Or was it just the one source?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

Location: Deep in the Black Forest near the 666 Willow Farm in a Land of Confusion
well, Phil CAN drum, he drummed without tapes at the Princes Trust Gig in 2010 :)

The thing is, Peter Gabriel wants to do something about The lamb lies down on Broadway he said a few months ago in the Classic Rock magazine if I remember correctly. And I think its getting time. I think a movie version of The lamb would be a great story and would get a huge publicity. The question is if they would replay the songs or just use the old album version?

About Tony, his new Classic Album is already mixed and played, its just not released yet. Thats what I read somewhere in the middle of the last year. To make a list

Phil: Interested, but not for 100 shows
Mike: Interested, but in hurry because of new Mechanics Shows and maybe even new mechanics album
Tony: Needs Publicity for a release of his newest orchestra work.Why don't he comes to Germany? We have got the biggest opera hall of Germany in my Town :D
Peter: Wants something with The Lamb
Steve: AS already mentioned, Squackett, but since Genesis is still living in his heart, he would be with a reunion

Chester and Daryl: Always avaibile :D

So Tony, please come here, this opera house is only 3 miles away from me :thumbsup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festspielhaus_Baden-Baden

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:19 pm
Profile ICQ

I've received information about Tony Banks' upcoming classical album, and according to Genesis Management the album will be released this year in April/May.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 am
Profile WWW

Krissy wrote:
I've received information about Tony Banks' upcoming classical album, and according to Genesis Management the album will be released this year in April/May.

Well Krissy that's just about the best news I've heard so far this year. I must disagree slightly with Babylon 5 (which is rare) because to these ears Seven very much builds upon the classical strengths of 70's Genesis. Gone are the Mellotrons and ARP Pro Soloists, but Tony's pastoral, melodic sensibilities exude from every pore. And just like those timeless old Genesis relics, Seven requires, indeed demands, many listenings to uncover its hidden inner beauty. (By the way Krissy, I think your Tony Banks website is fantastic.)

And I'm still at a loss to understand what seems to be the generally negative consensus among the community here regarding Peter's New Blood adventures, which I think (particularly in terms of reinventing his own work) was both bold and brilliant. I was lucky enough to see The Man himself with the New Blood Orchestra in Camden, New Jersey (what a lovely place) and it was one of the most profound musical experiences of my life. Of course the weed and 4th of July fireworks didn't hurt.

It's also good to see Steve Hackett still going strong and hoping love will last. Maybe he'll be so kind as to visit the Philadelphia area again in 2012. I'll never forget meeting him at the Borders Book store in the Main Line. Shook the hand that played The Lamia solo. I felt like Icarus, flying toward the sun, though with less tragic results.

I don't expect to hear much from Phil. As for the Middling Mechanics, Streumer, and the continuing misadventures of Ray Whatshisname (who has sadly managed to forever link his likeness to this once great band) I don't give one crapola.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I too, loved Peter's New Blood and Scratch My Back work and feel it does wonders for his voice which he has described as being more exposed by singing in front of an orchestra. I feel that his singing is more powerful and accurate than at any other time. He talks with enthusiasm about new work, so hopefully that will see the light of day in the not too distant future (!).

Really, his output is the only one I'm properly excited about for 2012. I like Steve's work, but really only in the context of seeing him live (finances permitting) and playing old Genesis material. I can appreciate it and it has the odd highlight (I love the tone and feel of his playing), but I'm never really blown away by his solo material, not since Defector really. I think there's something too clean, modern, over produced about how it sounds and it lacks the acoustic, organic, human feel that characterises Genesis in the 70's and somehow Gabriel manages to retain, though his extraordinary voice.

I agree with other posters about Phil and Mike (I actively avoid Mike & The Mechanics), I've not been interested in their output for years and Tony on his own doesn't hold any appeal I'm afraid.

There, that's my wishlist for 2012: something new from PG, the release of the expanded edition of So, hopefully a show in the UK, maybe at WOMAD's 30th anniversary and maybe a local Steve Hackett gig.

Cheers,

Chris

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 pm

"and the continuing misadventures of Ray Whatshisname (who has sadly managed to forever link his likeness to this once great band) I don't give one crapola." :crazy:

Well that's your loss I'm afraid, because Ray is touring in Europe with Genesis Klassik and doing some great shows, the band sound fresh, thrilling and contemporary - everything Genesis used to be. The blending of rock and classical instruments and players works wonderfully, and is actually similar to what I would expect from a reformed Genesis with Gabriel (which will never happen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtpElzk-tMY

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 am

Wow! That rendition of "Calling All Stations" is marvelous.

Does this Genesis Klassic/Classic band do many Genesis songs that weren't part of the Calling All Stations tour? Do they do anything that one might not expect?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 pm

babylon5 wrote:
Does this Genesis Klassic/Classic band do many Genesis songs that weren't part of the Calling All Stations tour? Do they do anything that one might not expect?

Yes, I'm quite impressed too.
The YouTube channel for Ray's management has quite a few to choose from:
http://www.youtube.com/user/raywilsonmanagemen/videos
Ripples
Another Day in Paradise
In the Air Tonight
Solsbury Hill
Invisible Touch
That's All
FYFM
Land of Confusion
I can't Dance
and maybe some others

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:47 pm

I still don't understand why he focuses so much on later days Genesis material and even Phil / Peter solo material. I really don't think that's where his strength lies, it's when he does the older Genesis stuff that he can really breath new life into it. His renditions of IT/WCD era songs still sound too karaoke-like for my taste.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Completely agree. Whilst I can understand him covering songs from a band that he was actually a member of, I don't know why he covers Peter and Phil's stuff. He has a lot of very strong solo stuff and his voice doesn't really lend itself to 80s or 90s Genesis. Having said that, I consider "I Can't Dance" to be just about the worst Genesis song ever yet Ray's version is excellent. The first time I saw him play it live, he successfully pulled off that trick where it's not immediatley obvious what song is being played.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:45 pm

I too would like to hear more vintage classics from Ray, but I fear his audience would not really appreciate them coming from him.

I think other than the original band members or some very seasoned session players in the prog field, songs like "Firth of Fifth", "In The Cage", "Cinema Show" "Stagnation" etc. (all of which I can easily imagine Ray pulling off) the only other welcomed performances of this kind of material would be by much younger players, of which there are plenty of interesting and enjoyable performances to view on YouTube.

So in my opinion Ray is wise to acknowledge the market and his 'niche' as it is, and stay in his 1990s AOR field, occasionally delving into 1970s material but not going the whole distance. 8)

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next